How is ATP used to create mechanical work in muscle cells?

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: How is ATP used to create mechanical work in muscle cells?

#21  Postby Ironclad » Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Low-brow though it may be, some sports websites dedicate themselves to understanding such chemistry. Perhaps to help sell product, perhaps to be seen as less caveman. I used to take ATP as a supplement myself, while it allowed for a small noticeable uplift in stamina it also left me looking puffy.
Have a read of this, there’s not much there but you might find something of use..

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/at ... rtant.html

You can't "take ATP". You can take nutritional supplements purported to enhance ATP concentration. Purported. Studies have not shown conclusively that enhanced levels of ATP become bioavailable as a consequence, or else you'd want to point to one. Now we can spin out the whole noise about nutritional supplements and the studies that purportedly show (or question) their "effects". Sciency! Woooo!

I used to take ATP as a supplement myself, while it allowed for a small noticeable uplift in stamina it also left me looking puffy.

Know what this is called? It's called an anecdote. Right here, on a website devoted to rational inquiry. Advertised, anyway.

I am pretty sure you know what I was meaning, Cito. You are naughty sometimes.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Rumraket » Aug 06, 2020 6:07 pm

Jbags wrote:
a. ATP the sole source of energy used in cells (though there are many ways cells can generate ATP)

Interesting side-note here, not really directly related to the topic of this thread. But there are many other sources of chemical energy used in the cell than ATP. But ATP is the overwhelmingly most dominant one and almost everything that runs on chemical energy in the cell, runs on ATP.

Even so, curiously, a few of the evolutionarily oldest cellular functions, which must have evolved either at or very close to the origin of life, are powered by GTP instead of ATP. Weird.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#23  Postby Jbags » Aug 07, 2020 1:46 am

Rumraket wrote:
Jbags wrote:
a. ATP the sole source of energy used in cells (though there are many ways cells can generate ATP)

Interesting side-note here, not really directly related to the topic of this thread. But there are many other sources of chemical energy used in the cell than ATP. But ATP is the overwhelmingly most dominant one and almost everything that runs on chemical energy in the cell, runs on ATP.

Even so, curiously, a few of the evolutionarily oldest cellular functions, which must have evolved either at or very close to the origin of life, are powered by GTP instead of ATP. Weird.

Thanks for sharing, first time I've heard of GTP, that's bizarre and really interesting. They behave very differently, even though their chemical structures differ by only a single oxygen atom (ATP: C10H16N5O13P3; GTP: C10H16N5O14P3)
世有伯乐然后有千里马
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Aug 07, 2020 2:24 am

Then along came a secondarily adapted anaerobic life form that has shunned an oxygen metabolism altogether. Life, weird everywhere you look.

RE
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Svartalf » Aug 07, 2020 8:22 am

This might be a little off topic, but I always heard that the mitochondria were the cell's energy battery, and I've not heard of them in this thread. is there a tie between mitochondria and ATP?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Sgt Kelly » Aug 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Yes, the mitochondria produce the ATP.

Another reason to be thankful to your mother.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Svartalf » Aug 07, 2020 6:25 pm

indeed. :)
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Biological Sciences