Male Termites Pair Up When Females Are Scarce

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Male Termites Pair Up When Females Are Scarce

#1  Postby DoctorE » Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm

When male termites are single, and no female mates can be found, the guys tend to form homosexual couples in order to survive, a new study finds.

These homosexual pairings may give male Japanese termites an evolutionary edge, according to new research. Scientists found that when female mates are lacking, male termites will pair up and nest together. These same-sex pairs will even take over a heterosexual couple's nest, killing the resident male so that one can member of the male-male pair can mate with the female, the researchers said.

Scientists previously thought homosexual pairings for invertebrates like insects were the result of misrecognition of males as females. However, in the new study, researchers at Kyoto University in Japan found that the male termites in same-sex couplings did not act as if they had mistaken their partner as female.

Continues: http://www.livescience.com/55856-male-t ... carce.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Male Termites Pair Up When Females Are Scarce

#2  Postby Blackadder » Aug 31, 2016 3:22 pm

DoctorE wrote:
These same-sex pairs will even take over a heterosexual couple's nest, killing the resident male so that one can member of the male-male pair can mate with the female, the researchers said.

Gay termites killing straight termites? Oh boy. Wait till the Bible-bashers get a hold of this one.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Except they are not really gay.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Sexual orientation can change during a human's lifetime. There's no reason to say somebody who was gay last week was never gay if they find themselves straight the next week.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
"Who want's activism?" PMSL 'till I dehydrate and die in the desert - somebody.
https://soundcloud.com/sciteks
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Aug 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Read the article. Please, and this goes for many, read the article before commenting. Or not but then .. Goldenmane.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 31, 2016 5:05 pm

tuco wrote:Read the article. Please, and this goes for many, read the article before commenting. Or not but then .. Goldenmane.

Neither the article, nor the abstract of the study to which it refers (paywall), would support your earlier claim that, "they are not really gay."

Though I would agree that being gay as a termite should probably not mean the same thing as when Homo sapiens or other mammals are gay.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 31, 2016 5:09 pm

It certainly doesn't say anything about the males interacting sexually, merely that they shack up. I guess that means I was gay in college when I had male roommates. I'd never wingman for any of them, though.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 31, 2016 5:13 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:It certainly doesn't say anything about the males interacting sexually, merely that they shack up. I guess that means I was gay in college when I had male roommates. I'd never wingman for any of them, though.

I believe that establishing the nest together, as members of a species which usually only does this as heterosexual pairs, is taken to be the "gay" behavior. Sex doesn't work the same way or mean the same thing for every sort of organism. The sex act, itself, isn't even a very adequate means for determining whether or not humans are gay. There are plenty of gay daddies about- and they didn't get that way by thinking baby thoughts at the mommies.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » Aug 31, 2016 5:16 pm

So do I understand it correctly that you choose to pick my comment as worthy of attention and reply, unlike the one made by Blackadder and Keep It Real, on rational bases? My comment needed to be addressed in rational and sceptical manner so I would not deceive the mythical reader? Do I get it?

Perfectly fine and interesting article and topic spoiled by idiocy. That is how I understand it.
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 31, 2016 5:25 pm

tuco wrote:My comment needed to be addressed in rational and sceptical manner so I would not deceive the mythical reader? Do I get it?

This is why it's a very bad idea to attempt to attribute intent to others' actions. For example, should I take from this that you'd rather have an pissy little fight than a rational discussion? Because by taking this to an emotional place that's where you're dragging the conversation.

I understand. It's a lot easier to have a pissy little fight than it is to actually defend your views and support your assertions.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm

I'd rather you not to address my posts at all. I will provide the same courtesy. If I takes me saying that I prefer little fights I will say it.
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby BlackBart » Aug 31, 2016 5:34 pm

Tough shit. Don't like people addressing your posts? Don't fucking post any then.

Anyhoo. Gay termites. Nature usually finds a way.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 31, 2016 5:35 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:It certainly doesn't say anything about the males interacting sexually, merely that they shack up. I guess that means I was gay in college when I had male roommates. I'd never wingman for any of them, though.

I believe that establishing the nest together, as members of a species which usually only does this as heterosexual pairs, is taken to be the "gay" behavior. Sex doesn't work the same way or mean the same thing for every sort of organism. The sex act, itself, isn't even a very adequate means for determining whether or not humans are gay. There are plenty of gay daddies about- and they didn't get that way by thinking baby thoughts at the mommies.

I'm guessing they didn't get that way by thinking about the mommies either. Plenty of bi daddies out there, though. Gay or straight always seemed like incredibly vague terms to me anyway, such that whether you'll have sex exclusively with someone of the opposite sex or your own is about as good a measure as you can get...for humans at least.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 31, 2016 5:43 pm

tuco wrote:I'd rather you not to address my posts at all. I will provide the same courtesy. If I takes me saying that I prefer little fights I will say it.

If you don't like your posts being addressed, post somewhere else.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Blackadder » Aug 31, 2016 8:44 pm

tuco wrote:So do I understand it correctly that you choose to pick my comment as worthy of attention and reply, unlike the one made by Blackadder and Keep It Real, on rational bases? My comment needed to be addressed in rational and sceptical manner so I would not deceive the mythical reader? Do I get it?

Perfectly fine and interesting article and topic spoiled by idiocy. That is how I understand it.

Oh get over yourself, for fuck's sake.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tuco » Aug 31, 2016 8:51 pm

Sure and you read, and try to understand, articles you comment on and stop spamming fine topics with nonsense to further your personal agenda.

Nowhere its written nor implied the termites are "gay" and Bible has fuck all to do with the topic.
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2016 8:59 pm

I guess this means all male termites enjoy a bit of wood.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby BlackBart » Aug 31, 2016 9:17 pm

A personal agenda that involves gay termites? Sounds legit. :coffee:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby BlackBart » Aug 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Cool! Now we can enjoy Blackadders post's in one easy to click on link! :cheers:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Biological Sciences