New hope for Tasmanian Devils

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

New hope for Tasmanian Devils

#1  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 21, 2010 10:28 am

Credit: Mike Lehmann (GNU Free Documentation License)

Australia's marsupial predator, the Tasmanian Devil, has been undergoing a rapid decline in its population. The decline is driven by a fatal facial cancer that is spread from animal to animal when they fight. Popsci.com.au reports on research to identify the aetiology of the disease. From here.

The first set of Tasmanian Devils’ genetic sequencing has revealed the origin of the unique transmissible cancer now devastating the devil population, offering hope that the rapid decline in devil numbers can be arrested and giving scientists new insights for cancer research. The work was done by an international team of scientists lead by Dr Elizabeth Murchison, who conducted the research at The Australian National University in the laboratory of Professor Jenny Graves of the ANU Research School of Biology and the ARC Centre of Excellence in Kangaroo Genomics. The team made the breakthrough by studying and comparing the genes active in both healthy and sick Tasmanian Devils.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: New hope for Tasmanian Devils

#2  Postby cherries » Mar 21, 2010 10:38 am

i can't get through your link,here is an article from 'live science"about it

Mystery of Tasmanian Devil Cancer Solved

All it takes is a bite for a Tasmanian devil to pass a lethal cancer on to its kin. Now scientists have figured out the origin of the transmissible facial tumor disease that's wiping the creatures out: nerve cells.

The finding, which was based on genetic testing of the cancerous tumors, could lead to diagnostic tests, treatments and vaccines for the disease, which are currently unavailable.

"Our findings represent a big step forward in the race to save the devils from extinction," said lead researcher Elizabeth Murchison of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) in New York and the Australian National University.

By diagnosing those with the facial cancer, called devil facial tumor disease (DFTD), scientists would be able to isolate the animals before they infect others. That's important for their survival, as past research has shown that the animals mingle quite a bit, meaning lots of chances for physical contact and spread of cancer cells. ...

http://www.livescience.com/animals/091231-tasmanian-devil-cells.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Livesciencecom+%28LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#3  Postby crank » Mar 21, 2010 11:02 am

I had heard about that problem. I really hope they can do something, they are v v cool, cute animals. Do you know how serious the hit has been so far?

Note: That link is broken. I went to site and can only find old story from dec 08.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 21, 2010 11:18 am

crank wrote:Note: That link is broken. I went to site and can only find old story from dec 08.

The story is dated this year. I think it might be a problem with it being posted on the .com.au domain. When you click on it are being re-directed to .com?

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby crank » Mar 21, 2010 11:22 am

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Yeah, they're screwing around with the domains. Your .com link reroutes back to .com.au for me, and goes to the correct article. :shrug:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby kiore » Mar 21, 2010 12:42 pm

This is intensly interesting this communicable tumour story, terrible for the devils, but the idea of these cancer cells passing from individual to individual and 'living' beyond the death of their hosts is quite something. In Australia there is also another version of this affecting dogs this time, mainly in the north, this is a sexually transmitted tumour that from memory seems to be hundreds of years old and come from an Asian wolf DNA, will have to look for a link to it. I have seen many dogs severely debilitated by by this frequently dying terrible slow deaths.
Perhaps this sort of thing is more common than we have realised, I look forward to more research giving some answers to this.
Here's a link:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9713
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences