New theory of evolution needed

The demise of Neo-Darwinism

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

New theory of evolution needed

#1  Postby Wortfish » Jul 26, 2022 11:46 pm

A new wave of scientists argues that mainstream evolutionary theory needs an urgent overhaul. Their opponents have dismissed them as misguided careerists – and the conflict may determine the future of biology

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... -evolution
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: New theory of evolution needed

#2  Postby Thommo » Jul 27, 2022 12:59 am

Headline in The Guardian wrote wrote:Do we need a new theory of evolution?

Betteridge's Law of Headlines
Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby romansh » Jul 27, 2022 1:36 am

A knowledgeable rebuttal here and here
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 27, 2022 6:06 am

Wortfish wrote:
A new wave of scientists argues that mainstream evolutionary theory needs an urgent overhaul. Their opponents have dismissed them as misguided careerists – and the conflict may determine the future of biology

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... -evolution

The 'news' with respect to this thread is:

Evolutionary biologists, like all scientists in all fields, are working to improve their understanding of the world by refining their models.

Creationists, lending blind allegiance to an ancient story that was long ago shown by evidence to be belief not fact, mis-read the normal process of scientific progress as if it were in some way an aid to the abjectly failed Creationist hypothesis not realizing STILL that the only thing that's going to help their cause is evidence that supports their claim.

Even where evolutionary biology to be shown flawed beyond redemption, all that would do is put it in the same category as Creationism: a failed belief. It wouldn't elevate Creationism.

But of course, that's not at all what's happening here in the article, despite bad faith readings. What the article says is that these scientists are making observations of aspects of evolution not currently accounted for, and are thus proposing scientific hypotheses that ADD to the theory of evolution, not contradict it as per the lazy wave at the title you tried to use rather than submitting any substance.

Creationism does something bad to the brain. I doubt you, Wortfish, are an incorrigible liar, rather, I expect that you consider truth, honesty, and integrity to be important, not just to you personally, but also as part of your religious belief. However, the Creationism element - amped up by propaganda outlets feeding you bullshit - has caused you to engage in all manner of deceptive misinformation. This thread is such an example.

What we still can say with absolute certainty, despite such shenanigans, is that any advancement in our knowledge of biology and biological systems is going to come via scientific method, not prayer or faith or reading the Bible. Evolution is not a failed paradigm like Creationism.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Jul 27, 2022 2:16 pm

IOW, *IF* evolution by natural selection were shown to be completely false (something that hasn’t happened, to be clear) it doesn’t make Creationism true. Creationism has to stand on its own evidence, of which there isn’t any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 29, 2022 6:11 am

I didn't even notice the hilarious sub-title.

The demise of Neo-Darwinism

What year is it again? 1922?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Rumraket » Jul 29, 2022 9:35 pm

Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection