Race and Reality

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Race and Reality

#61  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 10, 2018 11:52 am

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
What you are doing is insulting.

No. He isn't. At no point has scott1328 levelled an insult in you.
I understand that you might feel insulted by what he said but, that's a problem you've generated for yourself.

Stop trolling me will you.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby aban57 » Apr 10, 2018 12:07 pm

It kind of looks like you're trolling yourself. I didn't think it was possible.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Sendraks » Apr 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Repeating a direct question as Scot appears not to have understood it.

How does pointing out the difference between 'being insulted and 'feeling insulted' remotely qualify as trolling?
Last edited by Sendraks on Apr 10, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#64  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Might as well start up the magic roundabout.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Thommo » Apr 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Reported! :shifty:
Thommo

Print view this post

#66  Postby Papa Smurf » Apr 10, 2018 1:11 pm

The_Piper wrote:Skin cancer would have to regularly be contracted in the first 20 years of life for it to be the major driving force for dark skin, would be my guess.

Perhaps that's not actually a requirement for it to be a selective force. I believe humans are perhaps the only species where individuals live well past their fertility age, possibly because grandmothers/fathers helping to take care of their grandchildren offers an advantage. So if you lose your parents due to them contracting skin cancer at an older age, you and your ofspring are at a disadvantage so even in this case it would still be an evolutionary selective force.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Thommo » Apr 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:I believe humans are perhaps the only species where individuals live well past their fertility age, possibly because grandmothers/fathers helping to take care of their grandchildren offers an advantage.

Apparently you're right and it's almost only humans. Quite an amazing fact.

https://www.livescience.com/22574-anima ... pause.html
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Killer whales are another species that goes through menopause. It's beneficial socially to live past reproductive age so some highly social species have evolved to.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#69  Postby The_Piper » Apr 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:
The_Piper wrote:Skin cancer would have to regularly be contracted in the first 20 years of life for it to be the major driving force for dark skin, would be my guess.

Perhaps that's not actually a requirement for it to be a selective force. I believe humans are perhaps the only species where individuals live well past their fertility age, possibly because grandmothers/fathers helping to take care of their grandchildren offers an advantage. So if you lose your parents due to them contracting skin cancer at an older age, you and your ofspring are at a disadvantage so even in this case it would still be an evolutionary selective force.

I'm aware of and considered that, which I've read also may be a reason for menopause (before Rachel's post, I mean :lol: ). I said before age 20 because surviving to sexual maturity is more important to having offspring than having caring relatives. But I said "the major driving force", assuming that there's more than just one factor involved. I've already conceded the point that skin cancer may be the major factor.
My cause for doubt is that if people can reproduce, those genes will make it into the next generation. But we don't even need to think about grandparents (or aunts and uncles, and other relatives who contribute to reproductive success), if the parents don't survive long enough to see their offspring reach sexual maturity because they got skin cancer and died.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Sendraks » Apr 10, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm glad my erroneous comment has led to this discussion. I've learned a lot from it.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#71  Postby Papa Smurf » Apr 10, 2018 1:56 pm

I had meant to write 'one of the few or perhaps the only' as I figured we might no be that unique, although I had no idea which other animals might also have this trait. The highly social species things makes sense.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Papa Smurf » Apr 10, 2018 2:01 pm

The_Piper wrote:My cause for doubt is that if people can reproduce, those genes will make it into the next generation. But we don't even need to think about grandparents (or aunts and uncles, and other relatives who contribute to reproductive success), if the parents don't survive long enough to see their offspring reach sexual maturity because they got skin cancer and died.

True, dying before reproducing would make it a stronger factor than if it's just the grandparents thing. The only point I was trying to make is that it could still be the major driving force even if it only affects the grandparents, even though it might be a weaker force and the evolution towards darker skin might take a bit longer as a result.
Last edited by Papa Smurf on Apr 10, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Papa Smurf » Apr 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Actually, I wonder how likely it is for someone with fair skin to die of skin cancer before they turn 20, even if they live under the blazing African sun.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#74  Postby The_Piper » Apr 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:
The_Piper wrote:My cause for doubt is that if people can reproduce, those genes will make it into the next generation. But we don't even need to think about grandparents (or aunts and uncles, and other relatives who contribute to reproductive success), if the parents don't survive long enough to see their offspring reach sexual maturity because they got skin cancer and died.

True, dying before reproducing would make it a stronger factor than if it's just the grandparents thing. The only point I was trying to make is that it could still be the major driving force even if it only affects the grandparents, even though it might be a weaker force and the evolution towards darker skin might take a bit longer as a result.

I agree. :)
Papa Smurf wrote:Actually, I wonder how likely it is for someone with fair skin to die of skin cancer before they turn 20, even if they live under the blazing African sun.
Me too. But I should probably amend that to dying before age 30-ish, because parents still need to raise their young long enough for them to survive on their own. Of course, other surviving parents, relatives or non-related members of the community could continue raising those kids after their parent(s) die.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Papa Smurf » Apr 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Thought I'd use a bit of Google Fu to find out if perhaps African tribes traditionally used mud for sunscreen (Elephants and some other animals do) but instead I found this racist pseudo-scientific crap which would not look bad in the 'Battiest things you've heard believers say' thread:

https://joelsavage1.wordpress.com/2016/ ... wame-osei/ wrote:
It is this melanin that makes Africans naturally gifted in maths, physics, sports, science and other elements. It is because of melanin that makes African children on the whole more intelligent than their European/White, Indian, Chinese and Arab peers.

A study was conducted in Australia in the early 1990’s that tested the ability of Aboriginal, European, Chinese, Indian and Arab children in certain exercises.

The study concluded that after the series of tests, the aboriginal children who are Afrikan by blood and genetics were more intelligent than the Indian, Arab, Chinese and European children and this was due to their high melanin content and the ability of melanin to keep one more in tune with nature and vibration.

Melanin also causes serotonin to flow more effectively in the waking state so to “inexperience” more spirituality. This also helps to keep spiritual attunement at an apex. The less melanin in an individual, the more calcified the pineal gland and less access the individual has to the spiritual world.

This explains why Afrikan/Ghanaian people are a very spiritual people and have a high propensity for the creator/God.

:drunk:
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby The_Piper » Apr 10, 2018 5:01 pm

:picard: :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Macdoc » Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm

unfucking beleivable..... :what: :o
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Rumraket » Apr 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Papa Smurf wrote: by blood and genetics

Blood and genetics? I'm sold.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Previous