Race and Reality

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Race and Reality

#1  Postby juju7 » Apr 07, 2018 11:24 am

https://aeon.co/essays/race-is-not-real ... made-flesh

Getting rid of racism requires clarity about the nature of the enemy. The way to defeat white supremacy is to destroy it. The US will truly be ‘majority non-white’ only when white is no longer the privileged citizenship category, when white is no more meaningful than the archaic Octoroon or Irish. This is not to discount the anxiety about cultural loss conjured by talk of an imagined colourblind future, but to recognise the inextricability of racial identities and power inequality. With work, perhaps the next expansion of whiteness will be into oblivion.
User avatar
juju7
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 866

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Race and Reality

#2  Postby laklak » Apr 07, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm a tan color with pink undertones. My wife's aunt, who is visiting from the UK, is white. I mean, really white, like glow in the dark white. Could be Johnny Winter's sister.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19003
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#3  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm a sort of pinky-blotchy-whitish.

Am I still a member of the Human Race...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9306
Age: 82
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Here it is again:

Image
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 7788
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 07, 2018 4:29 pm

How very fitting given my new avatar.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 7788
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#6  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2018 5:10 pm

I've always felt uncomfortable when some people attribute skin colour (or even religion) comparable to 'race'.

There's only one 'race' and that is the Human Race.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9306
Age: 82
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 07, 2018 5:14 pm

People can sometimes even be so stupid as to perpetuate "racial" segregation by using phrases such as "the black community."
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 7788
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Race and Reality

#8  Postby Sendraks » Apr 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Keep It Real wrote:People can sometimes even be so stupid as to perpetuate "racial" segregation by using phrases such as "the black community."


Which is in itself, a product of white supremacy.

Because when all your history and culture has been stripped away from, the only commonality shared with the people in the same situation, is the colour of your skin.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15037
Age: 102
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 07, 2018 5:38 pm

They're in identicle situations? So other people with a relatively arbitrary characteristic which sometimes has a negative impact on their lives are in identicle situations too and should (for some as yet unspecified reason) club together and identify as a community. The bald community. The myopic community. The convict community. The female community. The male comunity. The short community. The tall community. The graduate community. The insurance salesperson community. The ex-squady community. The prosthetic limb community. The cancer community. The schizophrenia community. The freckled community. The ginger community...needless to say I could go on.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 7788
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Were not we all black at one time?
People find that weird to handle. The same as saying to real macho's that they were all women at one time.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 42293
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#11  Postby Sendraks » Apr 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Keep It Real wrote:They're in identicle situations?


You clearly have no idea what I am talking about or even what you are talking about.
If you're that ignorant of the basics of history, I'm not about to start educating you.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15037
Age: 102
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Fuck history.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 7788
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#13  Postby Sendraks » Apr 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Fuck history.


Those who fail to learn from it, will make the same fucking mistakes.

Keep It Real wrote:The bald community. The myopic community. The convict community. The short community. The tall community. The graduate community. The insurance salesperson community. The ex-squady community. The prosthetic limb community. The cancer community. The schizophrenia community. The freckled community. The ginger community...needless to say I could go on.


When in the course of history have any people been sold into slavery and their culture systematically erased, just because they possessed those particular traits, so their only point of commonality was that they possessed those traits? If such a thing had ever happened, then yes, you probably would have the "tall community" or the "cancer community" or whatever. But, that never did happen to people with those traits.

It happened to people in Africa though. They lost their culture, their history, their families. So they rallied around the one commonality they had in the face of their oppressors.

Keep It Real wrote:The female community.

You're aware of feminism yes?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15037
Age: 102
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#14  Postby Fallible » Apr 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Were not we all black at one time?
People find that weird to handle. The same as saying to real macho's that they were all women at one time.


No, I was never black.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 48320
Age: 46
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#15  Postby Spinozasgalt » Apr 08, 2018 12:57 am

Sendraks wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:The female community.

You're aware of feminism yes?

I've had this sort of conversation with him. He says the same things about the gay community.
Keep It Real wrote:This thread presupposes that sexual orientation is important. I disagree, having got drunk as a lord with a gay guy in a cirencester pub the night before last. He was a diamond, and I'm glad to have made his acquaintance. The whole "gay community" bullshit can go fuck itself.

He's got a Morgan Freeman quote that makes racism easy: all you have to do to fix racism is ignore it. Never mind that critical race theory and a whole lot of scholarship, and a whole heap of activists doing work on race, disagree with it. A black man said it! (Said black man also called Obama "mixed race" instead of black, so....)

It doesn't matter that these communities remain separate because assimilating would mean erasure. They're separate and that's "segregation".

Me, I think racism will continue to work even if people don't acknowledge it. It'll still be coded into state, social, and cultural apparatuses and function covertly. The refusal to countenance it will just lead more people to attribute the differences it turns up to what capitalism and liberalism are supposed to select for (particularly in their American guises) - merit. And voila! More racism.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 17795
Age: 32
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Race and Reality

#16  Postby BWE » Apr 08, 2018 1:23 am

Keep It Real wrote:They're in identicle situations? So other people with a relatively arbitrary characteristic which sometimes has a negative impact on their lives are in identicle situations too and should (for some as yet unspecified reason) club together and identify as a community. The bald community. The myopic community. The convict community. The female community. The male comunity. The short community. The tall community. The graduate community. The insurance salesperson community. The ex-squady community. The prosthetic limb community. The cancer community. The schizophrenia community. The freckled community. The ginger community...needless to say I could go on.

The convict community does do that to a large extent.
User avatar
BWE
 
Posts: 2398

Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 08, 2018 8:33 am

Fallible wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Were not we all black at one time?
People find that weird to handle. The same as saying to real macho's that they were all women at one time.


No, I was never black.


Where did your ancestors come from then?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 42293
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#18  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 08, 2018 9:41 am

We aren't our ancestors.
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 12646
Age: 30
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#19  Postby Macdoc » Apr 08, 2018 9:51 am

:roll:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 14961
Age: 71
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Race and Reality

#20  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 08, 2018 9:55 am

Thoughtful as ever.
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 12646
Age: 30
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Biological Sciences

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest