Salmon are incredible

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Salmon are incredible

#1  Postby Macdoc » Dec 24, 2017 11:43 pm

so is the book

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Salmon are incredible

#2  Postby laklak » Dec 25, 2017 3:41 pm

I first read that as "inedible", and thought that's a bit harsh, they're not the best fish but I can eat them if there's nothing else on the go.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 25, 2017 6:14 pm

I think salmon are incredible, with the right sauce and properly cooked.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Piper » Dec 25, 2017 6:31 pm

I only tried a frozen salmon patty, and it was terrible, but I'm not averse to trying it fresh and unseasoned. We have wild landlocked salmon up here. It's something like 100 miles from the ocean, though it was a lot closer at the end of the ice age. I don't know if that's relevant or not.
Landlocked salmon (Salmo salar m. sebago) live in a number of lakes in eastern North America and in Northern Europe, for instance in lakes Sebago, Onega, Ladoga, Saimaa, Vänern, and Winnipesaukee. They are not a different species from the Atlantic salmon, but have independently evolved a non-migratory life cycle, which they maintain even when they could access the ocean.
Sebago lake is in southern Maine. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon#Distribution
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Dec 25, 2017 8:16 pm

That's one of the highlights of the book - how resilient the species is in colonizing different niches and allowing rewilding to succeed.
I was a bit price shocked at 70 gm of smoked sockeye at $6mm 2.5 oz of fish ... $38 a lb !!!!
Gorgeous looking and tasting but geez..eye watering price point.
Gonna start fishing the Credit River.

The Rivers of Toronto: In this four-part series, the Toronto Star takes a look at the rivers of the GTA, their history, their guardians and their future.

At the mouth of the Credit River, tiny boats wait patiently in the marina for their chance to bring home the big one, an 18-plus kilogram chinook salmon.

The science of nutrient exchange from ocean to deep inland ( 1600 km in some cases ) is very interesting....

But just 50 years ago, the fish weren’t biting.

Port Credit, which now describes itself as the “salmon-fishing capital of Ontario,” had decimated its salmon stocks after years of overfishing, industrialization and pollution.

But by cleaning up the water and introducing different species of fish, the Credit River has gone from a fish wasteland to the home of a multimillion-dollar industry.

When John Kendell began the Credit River Anglers Association as an undergraduate biology student in 1993, he never thought he’d see the day when Atlantic salmon ran free through the rapids.

“We basically inherited a river that was broken,” he said. “I never thought it would look this good in my lifetime.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/0 ... river.html

That was one of the fascinating info in the book - the scale of the effort to open up the dammed rivers on the west to their original state to let the salmon thrive and how quickly it worked.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » Dec 26, 2017 2:13 am

I hope to go fishing next year. Provided I can use someone else's gear, I'm not going to buy my own.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences