Scientists Have Witnessed a Single-Celled Algae

Evolve Into a Multicellular Organism

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Scientists Have Witnessed a Single-Celled Algae

#1  Postby DoctorE » Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am

Most of us know that at some point in our evolutionary history around 600 million years ago, single-celled organisms evolved into more complex multicellular life.
But knowing that happened and actually seeing it happen in real-time in front of you is an entirely different matter altogether.

And that's exactly what researchers from the George Institute of Technology and University of Montana have witnessed - and captured in the breathtaking, time-lapse footage below.
The evolution took just 50 weeks, and was triggered by the introduction of a simple predator.

Continues: https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... r-organism
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Scientists Have Witnessed a Single-Celled Algae

#2  Postby Alan B » Feb 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Fascinating.

(Waiting for JJ)
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Piper » Feb 24, 2019 2:15 pm

This happened before in 2011, but with yeast, which some scientists downplayed due to their having evolved from multicellular life previously. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028184-300-lab-yeast-make-evolutionary-leap-to-multicellularity/
As far as the so-called Fermi Paradox goes, this suggests that the leap from single to multicellular life is not a filter. :eager:
Personally, I'm in the camp of humans not having enough information to even posit a paradox yet.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Feb 24, 2019 2:36 pm

The_Piper wrote:...

Personally, I'm in the camp of humans not having enough information to even posit a paradox yet.

You are not alone. Our searches have only begun...
How Much SETI Has Been Done? Finding Needles in the n-Dimensional Cosmic Haystack

Jason T. Wright, Shubham Kanodia, Emily G. Lubar

(Submitted on 19 Sep 2018 (v1), last revised 21 Nov 2018 (this version, v2))

Many articulations of the Fermi Paradox have as a premise, implicitly or explicitly, that humanity has searched for signs of extraterrestrial radio transmissions and concluded that there are few or no obvious ones to be found. Tarter et al. (2010) and others have argued strongly to the contrary: bright and obvious radio beacons might be quite common in the sky, but we would not know it yet because our search completeness to date is so low, akin to having searched a drinking glass's worth of seawater for evidence of fish in all of Earth's oceans. ...

More @ arXiv link
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Feb 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Yeah well if it came from single celled algae then why is there still single celled algae? Huh?

Checkmate, Atheists.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm

newolder wrote:
The_Piper wrote:...

You are not alone. Our searches have only begun...
How Much SETI Has Been Done? Finding Needles in the n-Dimensional Cosmic Haystack

Jason T. Wright, Shubham Kanodia, Emily G. Lubar

(Submitted on 19 Sep 2018 (v1), last revised 21 Nov 2018 (this version, v2))

Many articulations of the Fermi Paradox have as a premise, implicitly or explicitly, that humanity has searched for signs of extraterrestrial radio transmissions and concluded that there are few or no obvious ones to be found. Tarter et al. (2010) and others have argued strongly to the contrary: bright and obvious radio beacons might be quite common in the sky, but we would not know it yet because our search completeness to date is so low, akin to having searched a drinking glass's worth of seawater for evidence of fish in all of Earth's oceans. ...

More @ arXiv link
That will be fun to read. Except for the math. :shifty:
It makes me wonder why so many talk about the Fermi Paradox as if it's an actual paradox. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very interesting subject and worth thinking about.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby theropod » Feb 25, 2019 11:19 pm

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 26, 2019 2:16 am

Covered this topic nine years ago ... :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences