The fetus cannot exercise like an astronaut

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The fetus cannot exercise like an astronaut

#1  Postby tnjrp » Feb 26, 2010 8:17 am

I dropped this article in on a related discussion over at the bygone RDF forum but it never seemed to catch anyone's attention so I thought I might try a dedicated thread...

The article in question is
The fetus cannot exercise like an astronaut: gravity loading is necessary for the physiological development during second half of pregnancy
Medical Hypotheses, Volume 64, Issue 2, Pages 221-228
S.Sekulić, D.Lukač, N.Naumović
and the abstract can be found for example here:
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve ... 7704004888

The linked article originally came to my attention on a different forum but the person who posted it apparently didn't like my tone as he stopped talking to when I tried to get him to tell me about the study in more detail, like for example how the hypotheses/theory has been empirically tested.

Obviously I'd like to read this for myself but it's apparently not readily available for free on teh Interwebz so I'll settle for opionions and insights on it if anyone has any.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: The fetus cannot exercise like an astronaut

#2  Postby eversbane » Feb 26, 2010 5:40 pm

pdf available. PM me with email.
When walking through the pastures of life one may notice many instances of shit having happened. It should be remembered, however, that one is never obligated to step in them.
- Eversbane. 2010-2-28.
eversbane

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Peter Brown » Feb 28, 2010 3:20 pm

I watched a video on the net which showed dog a fetus developing . (On a ITV program link I think.) As the commentary eluded, the movement of limbs at such a young development stage were more to do with establishing neural pathways between brain and limbs. The dog was practicing to run and getting better at it before having to deal with gravity as well after being born.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#4  Postby ScienceRob » Feb 28, 2010 4:18 pm

If you are a college student you will have access to this article through sciencedirect. If you aren't a college student, just message me with an Email and I can help you out. I don't think this medium has the ability to attach files(or at least I can't find a way to).
Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson
ScienceRob

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby tnjrp » Mar 01, 2010 8:20 am

eversbane wrote:pdf available. PM me with email.

Thanks, I'll PM you presently...
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences