Turkish researchers find bones of 350,000-year-old animal

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

#1  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 08, 2017 6:20 am

Archeologists have discovered the bones of a large 350,000-year-old animal during excavations at the Karain Cave in the southern Turkish province of Antalya.

“We discovered the rib bones, teeth and skeleton bones of big mammals,” said Professor Harun Taşkıran of Ankara University’s Archaeology Department.

“This year, we have discovered a giant animal’s hip bone, jaw and teeth. We believe that the 50-centimeter hip bone dates back approximately 350,000 years,” said Taşkıran, the head of the excavations at the Karain Cave.

“It’s not scientifically proven, but these bones may belong to an elephant, rhinoceros or hippopotamus. We don’t know its species yet, so experts will come to find out,” he added, noting that they had come across bone masses of other animals in the same area.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Turkish researchers find bones of 350,000-year-old animal

#2  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pm

I hope they don't get into trouble with president Erdogan for this!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 09, 2017 4:35 am

DavidMcC wrote:I hope they don't get into trouble with president Erdogan for this!

Religious people arent that concerned about the age of the world as in the Christian and Jewish communities. Only person involving to such discussions is Adnan Oktar and his boys and even when they do that religious community doesnt really care because in Koran age of the world and creation isnt mentioned as in Bible and Torah.

They dont accept evolution for sure but that 6000 years old claim not something very popular in Muslim communities.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 10, 2017 10:29 am

aliihsanasl wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:I hope they don't get into trouble with president Erdogan for this!

Religious people arent that concerned about the age of the world as in the Christian and Jewish communities. Only person involving to such discussions is Adnan Oktar and his boys and even when they do that religious community doesnt really care because in Koran age of the world and creation isnt mentioned as in Bible and Torah.

They dont accept evolution for sure but that 6000 years old claim not something very popular in Muslim communities.

So you don't think Erdogan will be bothered about this 350,000 year old find?
LATE EDIT: You seem to be conflating the Turkish people with Erdogan.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection