What is the smallest viable human population...

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

What is the smallest viable human population...

#1  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 08, 2018 8:51 pm

What is the smallest viable human population to maintain genetic diversity? I googledthis article but I'm noot sure if it is widely accepted or not.

Is 160 a reasonable number?

A follow up question, more anthropological perhaps: Have any studies been done regarding division within a population? We're seeing a whole lot of red team/blue team shit around the world and was just wondering if this kind of thing has been studied before. I suspect it's a natural event in human behavior and looking for something to confirm or refute that.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What is the smallest viable human population...

#2  Postby NNY » Jun 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Australian aborigines used various systems for marriage.

This link is shows how people are related to each other. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_kinship#Lardil

I don't fully understand the systems they used, but one purpose was to stop inbreeding within small populations.
Eg: a Balyarriny is classified as parent of a Buranyi. Therefore no person classified as a Balyarriny, in the system, is allowed to marry a Buranyi, even if they are not related by blood.
NNY

Name: none yet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 09, 2018 12:24 am

NNY wrote:Australian aborigines used various systems for marriage.

This link is shows how people are related to each other. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_kinship#Lardil

I don't fully understand the systems they used, but one purpose was to stop inbreeding within small populations.
Eg: a Balyarriny is classified as parent of a Buranyi. Therefore no person classified as a Balyarriny, in the system, is allowed to marry a Buranyi, even if they are not related by blood.

Is this a law they framed for themselves, one imposed on them by the same people who thought the Aboriginal assimilation policy was a good idea, or those trying to repair the damage caused by the Aboriginal assimilation policy?

Looking at some of their population numbers, it doesn't look like they should lack genetic diversity. Maybe they're all scattered in small villages? Have a cultural inclination towards inbreeding like European royalty of the past?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby NNY » Jun 09, 2018 2:06 am

PensivePenny wrote:
Is this a law they framed for themselves, one imposed on them by the same people who thought the Aboriginal assimilation policy was a good idea, or those trying to repair the damage caused by the Aboriginal assimilation policy?

Looking at some of their population numbers, it doesn't look like they should lack genetic diversity. Maybe they're all scattered in small villages? Have a cultural inclination towards inbreeding like European royalty of the past?

The kinship laws were passed down though the generations.

When aborigines were forcibly moved into missions, the kinship system became partially destroyed. The assimilation system sort to destroy aboriginal culture in its entirety, so the destruction of the kinship system would also have been one of its goals.

Aborigines make up about 2% of the Australian population. BUT, aborigines do not belong to one tribe. There were 100's of different languages belonging to about 30 different language groups. But even within a language, there were different tribes with different totem and marriage systems. Some tribes were quiet big and others quiet small, so the system of marriage was different for different tribes. Some tribes didn't allow intra-marriage others only allowed intra-marriage.

Before European settlement/invasion, Australia was not one country, it was 100's of different countries. And the aboriginal people were not one people and many different peoples.

If you are interested in aboriginal history a good website is Gary Foley's website.

I can't say how or why their marriage systems developed, but I'd assume those systems developed in order to stop things like hemophilia that exists in European royalty.
NNY

Name: none yet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 09, 2018 4:05 am

Oh yes, thanks for the link. I'd love to learn more. I never knew the Aussie Natives were so diverse, though I shouldn't be surprised. I guess it's similar here in the US. We actually refer to the major native groups as "Nations" like Iroquois Nation, Cherokee Nation etc. They had their own languages and diverse customs as well. Each nation's territory was larger than that covered by multiple states today. Like your history, small pox devastated them.

:nono:
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Jun 09, 2018 3:59 pm

It would only take 2 if not for that pesky Fall. Thanks a shitload, Eve.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Dammit lak... you always make me think, "wtf?" I sip coffee to ponder. Mid-sip, I then blow it out my nose.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm sure the answer depends a lot on the circumstances that said population finds itself in.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences