What's so special about 12 weeks?

Abortion term limits

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's so special about 12 weeks?

#21  Postby Sendraks » May 17, 2016 10:14 am

I know. This is explicitly covered in guidance produced by the General Medical Council, that medics can conscientiously object to providing certain treatments to patients. They must not express their personal belief's to the patient but, this can get wrapped up with the objection and consequently medics can wriggle around to get a little bit of preaching in.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/21171.asp
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#22  Postby Fallible » May 17, 2016 10:21 am

This just disgusts me.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Sendraks » May 17, 2016 10:29 am

Yup. It is far too much about "what is best for the doctor" rather than what is best for the patient.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » May 17, 2016 10:35 am

They've gone into a helping profession, but only want to offer help with conditions. It's also the arrogance that gets to me - they think they know better what's best for the patient than they do. While they will do medically, they often won't practically or morally. What they would be doing is leaving a child to be born to parents who don't want it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby ScholasticSpastic » May 19, 2016 1:29 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:
I'm sorry, SS. I didn't mean to sound snarky. I lost one at 12 weeks, just when I thought we were safe. I didn't have a spontaneous miscarriage, but there was something wrong and I had to have a D&C. I've never forgotten the nurse who chided me when I came out of the anaesthetic bawling my eyes out. 'Now, now, we don't need any of that,' she said, 'there's nothing to cry about.'

Thank you for taking the time to explain when you were under no obligation to do so. I'm sorry that I inadvertently touched a raw nerve, and I understand why you have that raw nerve. A miscarriage, from what I've only an inkling about from watching from the sidelines, appears to be a very emotionally painful thing. Please know that I was not minimizing the significance of miscarriages.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Biological Sciences