Where is Anatomy Encoded in Living Systems?

Michael Levin

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Where is Anatomy Encoded in Living Systems?

#21  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 05, 2023 8:40 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
The first surprise the paper has in wait for those not aware of this fact, is that domesticated Goldfish are tetraploid organisms. The diploid ancestors produced offspring that had two copies of the genome, which then differentiated so that the tetraploid genome is asymmetric.

I did indeed not know that: did tetraploidy come about through artificial selection or was it already in their wild carp ancestors?

Tetraploidy appeared in ancestral Cyprinids some time ago. One of the more interesting discoveries I made when trawling through the goldfish genetics literature. :)

More on tetraploidy in Teleost fishes can be learned here, and in this paper on Cyprinid tetraploidy.

EDIT: And a third paper can be found here.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Where is Anatomy Encoded in Living Systems?

#22  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 05, 2023 10:11 am

My knowledge on ze fishies is not very extensive which is why I assumed it was as rare among them as with mammals and other animals (although I knew it was quite well documented in amphibians). Generally, I only think of plants and polyploidy. Interesting relationship between prevalence and cold, high altitude regions. Cheers!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Biological Sciences