You might be seeing this on a 15-second delay

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

You might be seeing this on a 15-second delay

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Apr 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Our eyes are continuously bombarded by visual information - millions of colours, shapes and ever-changing motion - yet seeing never feels like work.

Researchers have discovered one reason: Our brains perform automatic visual smoothing over time. A new study has found that our visual perception of things is influenced by what we saw up to 15 seconds ago. This helps create a stable environment, despite sacrificing some accuracy.

It also means that what you see around you - that cup of coffee, the face of your co-worker, your computer screen - may be a time-averaged composite of now and the past.

"What you are seeing at the present moment is not a fresh snapshot of the world but rather an average of what you've seen in the past 10 to 15 seconds," said study author Jason Fischer, a neuroscientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-te ... zqrfp.html
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: You might be seeing this on a 15-second delay

#2  Postby BlackBart » Apr 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Good luck crossing the street then. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Oeditor » Apr 06, 2014 8:15 pm

And on a less serious level, could you play fast-moving video games? Let alone ball games. Or boxing? There must at least be some kind of selectivity, with processing power concentrating on changing features at the expense of more static backgrounds. Otherwise it would have taken me about half an hour to type this. :)
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby minininja » Apr 06, 2014 9:46 pm

Oeditor wrote:And on a less serious level, could you play fast-moving video games? Let alone ball games. Or boxing? There must at least be some kind of selectivity, with processing power concentrating on changing features at the expense of more static backgrounds. Otherwise it would have taken me about half an hour to type this. :)

I think that's the whole point. We sacrifice accuracy and information about things that get seen as background in order to be able to process the important things. Otherwise the world would be seen as a chaotic barrage of constantly changing images.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences