30 Book Challenge for 2012

Life in Miniature

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

30 Book Challenge for 2012

#1  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 02, 2012 4:19 am

The 50 Book Challenge is not for everyone, so I thought we'd try a smaller and additional challenge this year for those who are too busy to digest a solid 50 -as they usually would- or who tend to read more slowly. The point of a challenge is to be challenged though, so if you can easily get through 50 books in a year then that challenge is probably the one for you.

I've tweaked these rules a teensy bit to differ from Darkchilde's thread.

1. 30 books.
2. A book must be at least 50 pages long.
3. Books you started in 2011 and finish in 2012 count in the 2012 challenge.
4. Re-reads count.
5. If a volume contains two books, which are usually classed as separate titles, then they count as two (e.g. a book of Dostoevsky's Notes From The Underground and The Double counts as two).
6. There are no rules on what titles you must read.
7. This is for fun so enjoy yourself.

This year's challenge is just to test the waters. If I end up with a thread made up entirely of my own posts, then I'll know there's no demand and probably decide against running another challenge next year.

Off we go!
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: 30 Book Challenge for 2012

#2  Postby Matt8819 » Jan 02, 2012 4:28 am

This'll give me a reason to read the stack of books I have that keeps growing every time I go to the mall! :)
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby natselrox » Jan 02, 2012 4:52 am

'm in!
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 02, 2012 5:11 am

Excellent guys! That means it won't just be some weird soliloquy from yours truly. :oops:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Matt8819 » Jan 02, 2012 5:13 am

So, do we post what book we're reading? Or a list of our goal books, or something?
Matt8819
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby natselrox » Jan 02, 2012 5:19 am

No, Matt. You just post the names of books as you finish them.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Matt8819 » Jan 02, 2012 5:21 am

Ah, got it
Matt8819
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Lizard_King » Jan 02, 2012 9:28 am

30 sounds a lot easier than 50, I'll give this one a try.
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#9  Postby j.mills » Jan 02, 2012 2:06 pm

But what if you're a 40-a-year person? Do you hedge your bets by posting in both threads? Questions, questions. :lol:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Darkchilde » Jan 02, 2012 5:27 pm

I will post in both threads. This will also increase my posts. :teef:
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Lizard_King » Jan 02, 2012 5:50 pm

I have a question: What if I read a book twice in one year? Does it count as one or two? Not that I do that too often, but I'm currently reading A Dance With Dragons, the 5th book of A Song Of Ice And Fire, and I'm planning to read the entire series as well some time this year, which means I'm gonna read the Dance twice. How about it? It's like 1200 pages, so it's not a short one... :shifty:
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 03, 2012 9:18 am

j.mills wrote:But what if you're a 40-a-year person? Do you hedge your bets by posting in both threads? Questions, questions. :lol:

"You wanna feel how hard I can punch?"

Lizard_King wrote:I have a question: What if I read a book twice in one year? Does it count as one or two? Not that I do that too often, but I'm currently reading A Dance With Dragons, the 5th book of A Song Of Ice And Fire, and I'm planning to read the entire series as well some time this year, which means I'm gonna read the Dance twice. How about it? It's like 1200 pages, so it's not a short one... :shifty:

If it's the same book, then by all means count it twice in your tally. Naturally I can't check whether anyone is really reading what they say they are, but since it's not a competition we're only really challenging ourselves. I was tempted to read Wuthering Heights twice last year, but I held out against it. If I had done so, I would've counted it though.

:thumbup:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jan 03, 2012 11:14 am

j.mills wrote:But what if you're a 40-a-year person? Do you hedge your bets by posting in both threads? Questions, questions. :lol:

And - and - what if you mostly listen to books rather than read, eh? :ask: If they count, then I'm in, probably for around 40 too........
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#14  Postby Lizard_King » Jan 03, 2012 11:33 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:

Lizard_King wrote:I have a question: What if I read a book twice in one year? Does it count as one or two? Not that I do that too often, but I'm currently reading A Dance With Dragons, the 5th book of A Song Of Ice And Fire, and I'm planning to read the entire series as well some time this year, which means I'm gonna read the Dance twice. How about it? It's like 1200 pages, so it's not a short one... :shifty:

If it's the same book, then by all means count it twice in your tally. Naturally I can't check whether anyone is really reading what they say they are, but since it's not a competition we're only really challenging ourselves. I was tempted to read Wuthering Heights twice last year, but I held out against it. If I had done so, I would've counted it though.

:thumbup:

Great, thanks. Since my medical textbooks don't count (and I don't really read those cover to cover), this will at least give me a fighting chance. ;)

Doubtdispelled wrote:

And - and - what if you mostly listen to books rather than read, eh? :ask: If they count, then I'm in, probably for around 40 too........

Last year, in the 50 book challenge, audio-books did count. Some people marked them in their lists, some didn't.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 03, 2012 11:41 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:

Audio books are certainly acceptable. The only thing I would ask is that you mark them differently, so that people know which is which. I seem to recall that at least one member put them in italics in the previous challenge. They're definitely acceptable here though. I'm just excited to have people willing to join this challenge. :grin:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby smudge » Jan 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

Audio books are certainly acceptable. The only thing I would ask is that you mark them differently, so that people know which is which. I seem to recall that at least one member put them in italics in the previous challenge. They're definitely acceptable here though. I'm just excited to have people willing to join this challenge. :grin:

Many audio books are abridged. I'd imagine unabridged only should count?

I'll join in but am expecting to fall short of 30. I'm an avid reader but work pressure gives me little free time. Still, will be interesting to have a record of what I've read in a year!

First up, I just finished...

1) Gormenghast, part two of Mervyn Peak's trilogy on audio.

:smile:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jan 05, 2012 10:47 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

Ok, Spinny, thanks! I'll do that.

smudge wrote:Many audio books are abridged. I'd imagine unabridged only should count?
I can't stand abridged books. There's always something vital that gets missed out and then you end up wondering how such and such character can possibly know about this, that, or the other etc.. So I only go for unabridged, the longer the better, either from Audible or Librivox, which is an amazing resource, right JM? :)

Then I go Zen and head for the sewing room...... and then I get involved in the story and cook dinner and do the housework still Zenned.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#18  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 05, 2012 10:54 am

smudge wrote:Many audio books are abridged. I'd imagine unabridged only should count?

Unabridged preferred, but if the abridged is still quite lengthy and compares favourably to reading 50 pages of a printed book, then that's fine. I don't want anyone to be worrying that they're cheating by listening to abridged.

We could always specify hour-length of audiobooks if it becomes too confusing, but I don't think we'll need to at this stage. Plus I don't read them, so it'd be up to those who do to specify. :oops:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby smudge » Jan 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

I can't stand abridged books. There's always something vital that gets missed out and then you end up wondering how such and such character can possibly know about this, that, or the other etc.. So I only go for unabridged, the longer the better, either from Audible or Librivox, which is an amazing resource, right JM? :)

Ditto on abridged books!

I use Audible too.
Never got on too well with Librivox stuff....
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jan 05, 2012 12:40 pm

smudge wrote:Never got on too well with Librivox stuff....

Why's that, Smudge?
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Next

Return to Books