50 Shades of Grey.

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 50 Shades of Grey.

#301  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 26, 2014 4:14 am

Oh, it is so poorly written! I hate it. It reminds me of Harry Potter, so much hype for such shit. There are well written erotica books out there. You'd think 50 shades was the first and only one. Fucking Christ.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#302  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 26, 2014 4:29 am

I thought the writing for Harry Potter was decent, though I only read the first one. Might've read the series if I could bring myself to give a rat's ass about wizard kids.

50 Shades, on the other hand, has some of the worst writing I've ever seen. And I read Phillip K. Dick and Edgar Rice Burroughs!

Also, to the Lovecraft haters: you don't geddit :tongue:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#303  Postby epepke » Jul 26, 2014 4:31 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I thought the writing for Harry Potter was decent, though I only read the first one. Might've read the series if I could bring myself to give a rat's ass about wizard kids.

Harry Potter, at least, is for kids, so a lot of the clichés and repetitiveness can be justified. It was also the first time that an English public-school story broke into the US.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#304  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 26, 2014 4:33 am

The first Harry Potter is okay, nothing too bad as it is for children, but there are much better books in that genre out there, the rest were exactly the same though. Exactly. That is shitty writing.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#305  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 26, 2014 4:35 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I thought the writing for Harry Potter was decent, though I only read the first one. Might've read the series if I could bring myself to give a rat's ass about wizard kids.

50 Shades, on the other hand, has some of the worst writing I've ever seen. And I read Phillip K. Dick and Edgar Rice Burroughs!

Also, to the Lovecraft haters: you don't geddit :tongue:

:o Who doesn't like Lovecraft!? Nasty folks. :nono:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#306  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 26, 2014 4:51 am

Imagination Theory wrote:
:o Who doesn't like Lovecraft!? Nasty folks. :nono:

The Lovecraft hate is happening in a different thread I think, but this seems like as good a place to draw the line as any :evilgrin:

Imagination Theory wrote:The first Harry Potter is okay, nothing too bad as it is for children, but there are much better books in that genre out there, the rest were exactly the same though. Exactly. That is shitty writing.

When I think of shitty writing, I think of unskilled draftsmanship. A person could still be skilled at the art of writing and turn out repetitive dreck. This is the case with many genre writers. But the 50 Shades author just straight-up has no idea how to write. I like Phillip K. Dick because his story ideas are so interesting, even though in terms of skill he's a terrible writer.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#307  Postby epepke » Jul 26, 2014 5:00 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:When I think of shitty writing, I think of unskilled draftsmanship. A person could still be skilled at the art of writing and turn out repetitive dreck. This is the case with many genre writers. But the 50 Shades author just straight-up has no idea how to write. I like Phillip K. Dick because his story ideas are so interesting, even though in terms of skill he's a terrible writer.

Awesome. My thoughts exactly, about Dick that is. I've wondered, however, if he made a decision to forego good writing in order to get the ideas out. Man in the High Castle shows some chops, at least with the use of language to reinforce the cultures. However, I didn't really enjoy it a lot, compared to some of his less well written but much more interesting books.

He does sometimes manage to get it incredibly right, but his flashes are brief.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#308  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 26, 2014 5:56 am

epepke wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:When I think of shitty writing, I think of unskilled draftsmanship. A person could still be skilled at the art of writing and turn out repetitive dreck. This is the case with many genre writers. But the 50 Shades author just straight-up has no idea how to write. I like Phillip K. Dick because his story ideas are so interesting, even though in terms of skill he's a terrible writer.

Awesome. My thoughts exactly, about Dick that is. I've wondered, however, if he made a decision to forego good writing in order to get the ideas out. Man in the High Castle shows some chops, at least with the use of language to reinforce the cultures. However, I didn't really enjoy it a lot, compared to some of his less well written but much more interesting books.

He does sometimes manage to get it incredibly right, but his flashes are brief.

Agreed. I suspect his drug problem was at least partly responsible for his sloppy work, though I think in general he just wasn't very good. I remember him getting better in later stuff like VALIS, but still...not great. Too busy spitting out amazing ideas and changing the face of sci-fi literature to really spend the time on his craft. Really is part of the character of his writing though, I wouldn't change it for anything.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#309  Postby epepke » Jul 26, 2014 6:49 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Agreed. I suspect his drug problem was at least partly responsible for his sloppy work, though I think in general he just wasn't very good. I remember him getting better in later stuff like VALIS, but still...not great. Too busy spitting out amazing ideas and changing the face of sci-fi literature to really spend the time on his craft. Really is part of the character of his writing though, I wouldn't change it for anything.

Possibly, but a lot of the stuff that he wrote in the 1950s was pretty badly written, too, and he didn't get really druggified until later.

I think his ever-increasing collection of exes who got money from him making him have to crank out the stuff like gangbusters may have had something to do with it.

VALIS was pretty well written, but I do notice that the other two, Timothy Archer and Divine Invasion, had very different styles. Divine Invasion, in particular, was very Dickish.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#310  Postby Varangian » Jul 26, 2014 7:11 am

An author who names her heroine "Anastasia Steele" got to be a bad writer.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#311  Postby VazScep » Jul 26, 2014 7:32 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Also, to the Lovecraft haters: you don't geddit :tongue:
I am more than happy to put up with Lovecraft's Cyclopean metaphors. At least the guy makes a fucking effort.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#312  Postby Varangian » Jul 26, 2014 8:41 am

VazScep wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Also, to the Lovecraft haters: you don't geddit :tongue:
I am more than happy to put up with Lovecraft's Cyclopean metaphors. At least the guy makes a fucking effort.

50 Shades of Colors Out of Space.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#313  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 22, 2015 12:14 am

Please don't hit me for necromancing this thread, but by way of redemption, I offer you this ...

Are these quotes from Christian Grey or a serial killer?

Have at it. :mrgreen:

Purely through guesswork I scored 11/15. Which apparently makes me creepy according to this quiz. Oh deep joy.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#314  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 22, 2015 1:38 am

I got them all right, which gave me "Probably a serial killer". To be fair, it was a combination of the quotes being incredibly obvious -- clearly fiction, poorly written/not at all evil-sounding -- and the fact that I've read about a lot of serial killers :tehe:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#315  Postby epepke » Mar 22, 2015 2:43 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I got them all right, which gave me "Probably a serial killer". To be fair, it was a combination of the quotes being incredibly obvious -- clearly fiction, poorly written/not at all evil-sounding -- and the fact that I've read about a lot of serial killers :tehe:

A Facebook meme puts it thus: The only thing that makes 50 Shades of Grey "romantic" is that Grey is a billionaire. If he lived in a trailer, it would be an episode of Criminal Minds.

(Scare quotes mine.)
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#316  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 23, 2015 4:39 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I got them all right, which gave me "Probably a serial killer". To be fair, it was a combination of the quotes being incredibly obvious -- clearly fiction, poorly written/not at all evil-sounding -- and the fact that I've read about a lot of serial killers :tehe:

:lol:

I missed the first three, then I remembered your tip for looking for the poorly written ones and got every one right after that!

Thanks! Now I'm "probably a serial killer . . . "
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#317  Postby HelenBromberg » May 30, 2016 10:12 am

I gave up on the 16th page, it was too stupid
HelenBromberg

Name: Helen Bromberg

Canada (ca)
Print view this post