A Song of Ice and Fire.

For those of us want to discuss Game of Thrones beyond the TV series.

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#201  Postby Xaihe » Apr 15, 2014 5:16 am

virphen wrote:
Animavore wrote:I think the show also implies that she does it. The camera seemed to fix on her as Tyrion picked up the wine.

There is a stone missing from Sansa's necklace right after the Avengers woman comes and messes with her hair.

The show is far less convincing than I seem to remember the books being on just how confident anyone could actually be that she'd wear the damn thing though.

As far as I recall, Sansa did not know about the necklace, though it was a gift from the Tyrells (I don't remember well enough who gave it to her). Once again she was used as a pawn in other people's game of thrones.
Consciousness is make believe. Just think about it.
Xaihe

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#202  Postby virphen » Apr 15, 2014 6:01 am

Xaihe wrote:
As far as I recall, Sansa did not know about the necklace, though it was a gift from the Tyrells (I don't remember well enough who gave it to her). Once again she was used as a pawn in other people's game of thrones.

Ser Dontos delivered it in both book and show, although the necklace was a hairnet in the books. Ser Dontos is working for Littlefinger.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#203  Postby Agrippina » Apr 15, 2014 6:53 am

A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Xaihe » Apr 15, 2014 9:47 am

virphen wrote:
Xaihe wrote:

Ser Dontos delivered it in both book and show, although the necklace was a hairnet in the books. Ser Dontos is working for Littlefinger.

That just shows how bad my memory is. I should read the books again. :lol:
Consciousness is make believe. Just think about it.
Xaihe

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Pulsar » Apr 15, 2014 11:19 am

Spoilers: Purple Wedding and consequences for book 5:
The dwarf act was quite different in the show. There was no dwarf girl, no animals, and no dwarf was killed (in the books, the girl's brother gets killed, IIRC. So, they're going to change Tyrion's journey to Meereen...
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Thommo » Apr 15, 2014 11:24 am

Pulsar wrote:Spoilers: Purple Wedding and consequences for book 5:
The dwarf act was quite different in the show. There was no dwarf girl, no animals, and no dwarf was killed (in the books, the girl's brother gets killed, IIRC. So, they're going to change Tyrion's journey to Meereen...

Her brother is not killed during the show as far as I remember, he's killed for what Tyrion was thought to have done by one of the numerous people bringing dwarf heads to Cersei after Tyrion's escape.

He can easily still meet the sister of one of the performers later, their original "meeting" at the show isn't really plot relevant.
Thommo

Print view this post

#207  Postby Pulsar » Apr 15, 2014 11:29 am

Thommo wrote:

Her brother is not killed during the show as far as I remember, he's killed for what Tyrion was thought to have done by one of the numerous people bringing dwarf heads to Cersei after Tyrion's escape.

He can easily still meet the sister of one of the performers later, their original "meeting" at the show isn't really plot relevant.

Thanks Thommo. It's been 6 years since I read book 3, my memory is sketchy :thumbup:
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#208  Postby Thommo » Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am

Pulsar wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Thanks Thommo. It's been 6 years since I read book 3, my memory is sketchy :thumbup:

Yeah, there's so much to remember, I keep forgetting bits too. Thing is, you could still be right - Penny's not being included here might mean she gets dropped altogether (like Edric Storm was).
Thommo

Print view this post

#209  Postby Pulsar » Apr 15, 2014 11:44 am

If they want to cram books 4 & 5 into one season, they'll have to condense the entire Meereen plot, so I won't be surprised if Penny is scrapped. I hope not though, Tyrion's plot in Essos is more interesting than all the other ones.
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Agrippina » Apr 15, 2014 2:18 pm

I put books 3- 5 on my phone today. I'm going to reread them.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#211  Postby willhud9 » Apr 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Pulsar wrote:If they want to cram books 4 & 5 into one season, they'll have to condense the entire Meereen plot, so I won't be surprised if Penny is scrapped. I hope not though, Tyrion's plot in Essos is more interesting than all the other ones.

I really hope they don't do that. They should really split the books in half. Half of 4 and half of 5 into Season 5. The rest in Season 6. Meaning Season 7 will follow book 6, hopefully the full thing.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#212  Postby virphen » Apr 15, 2014 7:56 pm

I really would not mind in the least if the Penny was dropped.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#213  Postby Agrippina » Apr 16, 2014 5:42 am

I started rereading book 3 last night. After my marathon session of rewatching the whole show from the start, it makes sense to do this now. I think I'll really enjoy this read-through.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#214  Postby Scar » Apr 16, 2014 8:49 am

God damnit now I think I need to reread the whole thing, top.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#215  Postby Agrippina » Apr 16, 2014 9:29 am

I started reading where some of the nightswatch guys are planning to kill Sam and Mormont, and run off to Craster's to steal his wives among other things, when there are three blasts of the horn indicating an attack by the night walkers. That and Brienne and Jaime rowing their boat. There's another character, some distant relative of Jaime's who wasn't included in the TV story. (He's a mix of Lannister and Frey, can't remember his name). (I have a problem remembering names, so help me out here).
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#217  Postby Agrippina » Apr 16, 2014 9:33 am

That's the one, thanks. :thumbup:

OK, they did write him into the script as the one who took the messages about Jaime to King's Landing.

Catelyn Stark releases Cleos to accompany Ser Jaime Lannister, together with Brienne of Tarth.[1] Trying to disguise himself, Jaime asks Ser Cleos to shave his head. Cleos is present for the river chase by Ser Robin Ryger, and complains when Brienne insists they cannot stop at the Inn of the Kneeling Man. On the road between Maidenpool and Duskendale,[4] the trio is ambushed by outlaw archers. Cleos is hit by arrows, and his horse spooks and drags him across the ground, killing him. He is not particularly mourned, either by Ser Jaime[5] or his parents. Jaime uses Cleos's sword to fight Brienne before the two are captured by the Brave Companions.

It makes the business of managing the boat a little more plausible for Brienne, considering that Jaime's hands are tied.

It helps to discuss what I'm reading. My memory lapses... :doh: :nono:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#218  Postby Fallible » Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am

I'm re-reading A Feast For Crows at the moment, wading through the Asha, Euron, Damphair, Victarion kingsmoot stuff again. Ugh. Nope, it's just as much of a chore as it was the first time around. I am not a huge fan of the Ironborn. There, I said it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#219  Postby virphen » Apr 17, 2014 11:33 am

You're just pissed because no godless women can sit the Seastone Chair.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#220  Postby Scar » Apr 17, 2014 11:48 am

You guys can still remember so many details... I forgot most of the plot of the books... in fact I tend to forget most of the details of anything I read, I can barely recall the basics of a story a year later :/
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books