A Song of Ice and Fire.

For those of us want to discuss Game of Thrones beyond the TV series.

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#321  Postby Thommo » Mar 24, 2015 8:10 pm

VazScep wrote:
Thommo wrote:
VazScep wrote:We are. But the weight of people against me says I've probably missed something.
So much quote mining potential here...
Possibly, if I read you right.

My problem is that I hate Lord of the Rings and can't for the life of me think why anyone would feel otherwise. I suspect if I had an answer to that, I would be able to appreciate the novels without having to personally enjoy them.


I was thinking about all the weight of people against you on the issue of 0.99999... = 1, for example! :lol:
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#322  Postby VazScep » Mar 24, 2015 8:10 pm

MacIver wrote:I loved the Riftwar series. It was my third foray into high fantasy after LOTR and Jordan's Wheel of Time. So it's been over 10 years since I read it. Maybe I should go back to it. Although after a year of Erikson I think I need some science fiction.
My exposure to the Riftwar series was in playing a computer game "Betrayal of Krondor". That game was endorsed by Feist, though he didn't get any writing credit for it.

I suspect the game has enough prose in it to make a novel, and I was pretty obsessed with it, exploring every nook and cranny and side quest of the game. I know my Locklear, Jimmy the Hand, Owyn, Pug and the Moredhel pretty well.

I might have to give the books a go.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep
 
Posts: 4590

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#323  Postby VazScep » Mar 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Thommo wrote:I was thinking about all the weight of people against you on the issue of 0.99999... = 1, for example! :lol:
Ah, indeed.

But it's now so off-topic that I can't pursue it here. I'll just briefly say that some of my thoughts on that issue (which I think I can back up with actual posts of mine) have it that it wouldn't be a quote-mine.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep
 
Posts: 4590

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#324  Postby Coastal » Mar 26, 2015 6:53 pm

MacIver wrote:Almost finished The Malazan Book of the Fallen or whatever it's called. Steven Erikson's fantasy epic. Got the end of book 9 and book 10 to read. It's taken me over a year and I'm almost running out of steam but it would be silly not to move onto book 10 when I'm done of 9.

Without a doubt the most "epic" of fantasy epics I've ever read. The story spans tens of thousands of years, three or four continents, and literally hundreds of named characters (whom Erikson expects you remember). It has it's flaws, it can be repetitive at times and there are simply too many characters. But Erikson is one of the greatest yarn-spinners I've ever read. His characterisation is fantastic. Wiskeyjack, Krupe, Fiddler, Cutter to name but a few. All of these people I feel are real and could walk into my home at any minute (except for the dead ones).

There was a particular moment near the end of the second or third book (for those who have read it I'm talking about the end of the Chain of Dogs) where I screamed at the book in my hands. The tension was built steadily over several chapters and the culmination, well, very few books provoke an actually physical response in me, and that's usually just a single tear or a muffled laugh.

I screamed.

At a book.


Very enjoyable and I fully agree about the characters. I would like to hear what you think about the ending. I suspect you might scream some more, but for different reasons :grin:

Reading Joe Abercrombie now because of a mention in this thread. Finished the 'First Law' trilogy and now busy with 'Best Served Cold'. Also very enjoyable. I hope some of the characters from the 'First Law' trilogy show up again. The Bloody Nine - what a character!
User avatar
Coastal
 
Posts: 663
Age: 45
Male

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#325  Postby Mazille » Mar 26, 2015 11:56 pm

And Glokta. Love'em. Ninefingers you might or might not see again for a bit. Some others from the original trilogy you'll spend a lot of time with again, though.

Also, you too can thank me later. :mrgreen:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 36
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#326  Postby scott1328 » Mar 27, 2015 3:32 am

Thommo wrote:
VazScep wrote:
Thommo wrote:
VazScep wrote:We are. But the weight of people against me says I've probably missed something.
So much quote mining potential here...
Possibly, if I read you right.

My problem is that I hate Lord of the Rings and can't for the life of me think why anyone would feel otherwise. I suspect if I had an answer to that, I would be able to appreciate the novels without having to personally enjoy them.


I was thinking about all the weight of people against you on the issue of 0.99999... = 1, for example! :lol:

Wait, what? 0.999...= 1 ?

Are you sure? We should probably discuss this.

Next you'll be saying that Orcs are descended from Elves, and that there are Entwives the shire.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8759
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#327  Postby Thommo » Mar 27, 2015 5:10 am

scott1328 wrote:Wait, what? 0.999...= 1 ?

Are you sure? We should probably discuss this.

Next you'll be saying that Orcs are descended from Elves, and that there are Entwives the shire.


I don't know about that, but Balrogs definitely have wings and wear blue and black dresses.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#328  Postby Coastal » Mar 27, 2015 8:15 am

Mazille wrote:And Glokta. Love'em. Ninefingers you might or might not see again for a bit. Some others from the original trilogy you'll spend a lot of time with again, though.

Also, you too can thank me later. :mrgreen:



I'll thank you now: Thanks! :grin:

Yes, Glokta :grin:
User avatar
Coastal
 
Posts: 663
Age: 45
Male

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#329  Postby VazScep » Mar 27, 2015 9:19 am

scott1328 wrote:Wait, what? 0.999...= 1 ?
When Dany lost Karl Drogo, Mirri Maz Dur said it would require an eternity for their unity to return, which is obviously a metaphor for the infinitesimal calculus.

But most likely, we'll find out the answer from the TV show before we get anything from those damned books.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep
 
Posts: 4590

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#330  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Pulsar wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/30/george-rr-martin-the-winds-of-winter-publication

George RR Martin’s The Winds of Winter: no plans for publication in 2015

Another year of waiting for The Winds of Winter to blow is in store for fans of George RR Martin, as his publisher confirmed there are no plans for the much-anticipated latest volume from his A Song of Ice and Fire series to appear in 2015. Instead, readers will have to comfort themselves with an illustrated edition of three previously anthologised novellas set in the world of Westeros.

As if anyone expected otherwise.


Fuck! It's going to be posthumous at this rate!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29436
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#331  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Fallible wrote:Please don't say R Scott Bakker, please don't say R Scott Bakker...

No seriously, I'd like to see some recommendations too.

Edit: oops, too slow. Ah well, at least you didn't say R Scott Bakker.



GADS! I fookin love the Prince of Nothing! :naughty2:

Bakker's series was, for me, one of the most refreshing and novel fantasy worlds I've ever seen, and I think I've pretty much read all the fantasy ever! :grin:
Last edited by Spearthrower on Sep 30, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29436
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#332  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Coastal wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Coastal wrote:Don't be dissin' Robert Jordan now. I guess it had a lot to do with my state of mind when I read it. I really needed something like that at the time.


My brother absolutely fucking loves him to be fair. I can see what people like - the wide sweeping world, grand vision and epic plot. But he surely doesn't do characters (and let's be fair, mostly female characters) even one hundredth as well as George Martin.


It's more of a teenage or young adult narrative - very prim and proper at times and innocent. George Martin is all about shock value and guts, but yes, much better characterisation.



This is exactly why I'd say Bakker's books are great: they really plunge headlong into absolute slime! They could easily come with an age-rating.

Example: a race of creatures which wear the skins of people like to make incisions into the flesh of their victims to rape the slits.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29436
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#333  Postby Fallible » Sep 30, 2015 8:53 pm

OK, that's it. That is the living end.

Perhaps I should read them again now I'm not drunk all the time. Might be different.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#334  Postby Animavore » Sep 30, 2015 8:56 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Coastal wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Coastal wrote:Don't be dissin' Robert Jordan now. I guess it had a lot to do with my state of mind when I read it. I really needed something like that at the time.


My brother absolutely fucking loves him to be fair. I can see what people like - the wide sweeping world, grand vision and epic plot. But he surely doesn't do characters (and let's be fair, mostly female characters) even one hundredth as well as George Martin.


It's more of a teenage or young adult narrative - very prim and proper at times and innocent. George Martin is all about shock value and guts, but yes, much better characterisation.



This is exactly why I'd say Bakker's books are great: they really plunge headlong into absolute slime! They could easily come with an age-rating.

Example: a race of creatures which wear the skins of people like to make incisions into the flesh of their victims to rape the slits.

Just - Why?
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44883
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#335  Postby Animavore » Sep 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Oh shit! I forgot to finish Prince of Nothing after my first Kindle broke and I got a new one (now broke). The prologue was one of the best things I ever read.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44883
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#336  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Fallible wrote:Perhaps I should read them again now I'm not drunk all the time. Might be different.


:lol:

That it may be. I am quite impressed you can even read while drunk! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29436
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#337  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Animavore wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Coastal wrote:
Thommo wrote:

My brother absolutely fucking loves him to be fair. I can see what people like - the wide sweeping world, grand vision and epic plot. But he surely doesn't do characters (and let's be fair, mostly female characters) even one hundredth as well as George Martin.


It's more of a teenage or young adult narrative - very prim and proper at times and innocent. George Martin is all about shock value and guts, but yes, much better characterisation.



This is exactly why I'd say Bakker's books are great: they really plunge headlong into absolute slime! They could easily come with an age-rating.

Example: a race of creatures which wear the skins of people like to make incisions into the flesh of their victims to rape the slits.

Just - Why?



Seriously, it's barely scratching the surface... if you'll excuse the now rather disturbing pun!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29436
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#338  Postby Fallible » Sep 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Fallible wrote:Perhaps I should read them again now I'm not drunk all the time. Might be different.


:lol:

That it may be. I am quite impressed you can even read while drunk! :)


Ah well I wouldn't know if I could now or not. I've not been drunk for quite some time. Then I could though. However I'm not making any claims as to what percentage of the book I actually took in.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#339  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Fallible wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Fallible wrote:Perhaps I should read them again now I'm not drunk all the time. Might be different.


:lol:

That it may be. I am quite impressed you can even read while drunk! :)


Ah well I wouldn't know if I could now or not. I've not been drunk for quite some time. Then I could though. However I'm not making any claims as to what percentage of the book I actually took in.



Was it something like 'mmm ish a fucken book... Ima gonna read this shit.... no wait, gotta throw up firsht!'

The only time I've ever chundered from alcohol, I managed to do so perfectly neatly - not so much as a splash either side - on the cover of Far from the Madding Crowd, which I thought was a fitting testament to this hopelessly depressing 'classic' I was obligated to read for A-level English!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29436
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#340  Postby Fallible » Sep 30, 2015 10:56 pm

:rofl: You should have got the teacher to mark it. I'm more of a Jude person myself, when I'm in the mood to be depressed the fuck out of my ever loving gourd. As for alcohol induced vomiting, this has literally never happened to me. I don't know why. Well I partly know why. I have a fear of vomiting which verges on the phobic and will try everything in order to avoid it. But also I think I could just hold an awful lot of alcohol for a girl due to a rather robust constitution and perhaps - although I have no official confirmation of this to date - the kidneys and liver of a superhero. I once had my kidneys and bladder x-rayed (a terrible tale of teenage woe which culminated in me having my appendix and a cyst removed, but that's not for here). They had to do 2 pictures of my bladder because it wouldn't all fit on one. True story.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest