A Song of Ice and Fire.

For those of us want to discuss Game of Thrones beyond the TV series.

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#341  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Fallible wrote:I have a fear of vomiting which verges on the phobic and will try everything in order to avoid it.


Me too! Me too!!!!!!

I am so glad to know I am not the only weirdo with this! In adult life, I think I've thrown up no more than a handful (urgh) of times. Even when it would undoubtedly result in me feeling better, the process of being sick is shudderingly terrible for me to contemplate. Basically the only times I've thrown up is when I was not in control of my body - passing out from pain (renal colic) or being in a malaria induced semi-coma.

Gads though, when I was a kid, I swear I had a vomit episode every year, and because my parents thought it was a good drink to rehydrate me or something, I've never been able to drink Lucozade since! The taste of it IS the taste of vomiting!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#342  Postby willhud9 » Oct 01, 2015 2:11 am

Worst case for me was when i had to take Oxycodon. It required you to take it on a full stomach. So I ate lunch. 25 minutes later took the painkiller and 5 minutes later rushed to the bathroom throwing my lunch back up and feeling sick as well as in pain.

I don't know if I am allergic to Oxycodon, but I will never take it again. I will just handle pain.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 19373
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#343  Postby Fallible » Oct 01, 2015 7:53 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Fallible wrote:I have a fear of vomiting which verges on the phobic and will try everything in order to avoid it.


Me too! Me too!!!!!!

I am so glad to know I am not the only weirdo with this! In adult life, I think I've thrown up no more than a handful (urgh) of times. Even when it would undoubtedly result in me feeling better, the process of being sick is shudderingly terrible for me to contemplate. Basically the only times I've thrown up is when I was not in control of my body - passing out from pain (renal colic) or being in a malaria induced semi-coma.

Gads though, when I was a kid, I swear I had a vomit episode every year, and because my parents thought it was a good drink to rehydrate me or something, I've never been able to drink Lucozade since! The taste of it IS the taste of vomiting!


Exactly the same here, regarding the Lucozade. And in our day it still came in the glass bottle with the orange cellophane. I used to get car sick when I was a kid and I was prescribed an anti-sickness medication due to it. However, rather like Pavlov's salivating hounds, over time I began to associate the name of the pill with car sickness until eventually just my mum asking 'have you taken your Marzine?' was enough to instantly induce nausea. Luckily I grew out of that, but I have enduring memories of going on long car journeys and my mum turning round in her seat every 10 minutes to ask if I was OK, and me only being able to do a frantic closed-mouth nod because if I opened my mouth to speak I would vom everywhere.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#344  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 7:56 am

Fallible wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Fallible wrote:I have a fear of vomiting which verges on the phobic and will try everything in order to avoid it.


Me too! Me too!!!!!!

I am so glad to know I am not the only weirdo with this! In adult life, I think I've thrown up no more than a handful (urgh) of times. Even when it would undoubtedly result in me feeling better, the process of being sick is shudderingly terrible for me to contemplate. Basically the only times I've thrown up is when I was not in control of my body - passing out from pain (renal colic) or being in a malaria induced semi-coma.

Gads though, when I was a kid, I swear I had a vomit episode every year, and because my parents thought it was a good drink to rehydrate me or something, I've never been able to drink Lucozade since! The taste of it IS the taste of vomiting!


Exactly the same here, regarding the Lucozade. And in our day it still came in the glass bottle with the orange cellophane.


Yep! That's exactly how I remember it, coupled with the colour of the plastic wash-bowl I was given to throw up into!


Fallible wrote: I used to get car sick when I was a kid and I was prescribed an anti-sickness medication due to it. However, rather like Pavlov's salivating hounds, over time I began to associate the name of the pill with car sickness until eventually just my mum asking 'have you taken your Marzine?' was enough to instantly induce nausea. Luckily I grew out of that, but I have enduring memories of going on long car journeys and my mum turning round in her seat every 10 minutes to ask if I was OK, and me only being able to do a frantic closed-mouth nod because if I opened my mouth to speak I would vom everywhere.


Ewww! Fortunately, I've never experienced motion sickness, but it would seriously hamper my travel if I did! I expect I'd walk a lot more, though! :D
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#345  Postby Fallible » Oct 01, 2015 8:30 am

The depressing thing is that although I no longer get sick in the car, it affects me today through the medium of the first person console game. I have a penchant for mystery and uncovering things-type no-combat-type games, and most if not all of them are first person. I can play for about a quarter of an hour and then the excess salivation, headaches and queasiness start. My daughter used to play Minecraft a lot and she wanted me to watch her, or wanted to show me the things she'd made, but I could never manage it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#346  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 01, 2015 9:02 am

Fallible wrote:The depressing thing is that although I no longer get sick in the car, it affects me today through the medium of the first person console game. I have a penchant for mystery and uncovering things-type no-combat-type games, and most if not all of them are first person. I can play for about a quarter of an hour and then the excess salivation, headaches and queasiness start. My daughter used to play Minecraft a lot and she wanted me to watch her, or wanted to show me the things she'd made, but I could never manage it.



Do you wear glasses?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#347  Postby Animavore » Oct 01, 2015 9:04 am

I thought nothing could make me get sick, until I saw the part in Jackass 3 where the guy drank the horse semen.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44884
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#348  Postby Fallible » Oct 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Fallible wrote:The depressing thing is that although I no longer get sick in the car, it affects me today through the medium of the first person console game. I have a penchant for mystery and uncovering things-type no-combat-type games, and most if not all of them are first person. I can play for about a quarter of an hour and then the excess salivation, headaches and queasiness start. My daughter used to play Minecraft a lot and she wanted me to watch her, or wanted to show me the things she'd made, but I could never manage it.



Do you wear glasses?


No. My eyesight has always been good.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#349  Postby Fallible » Oct 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Animavore wrote:I thought nothing could make me get sick, until I saw the part in Jackass 3 where the guy drank the horse semen.


EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#350  Postby Animavore » Oct 01, 2015 9:02 pm

I was lucky I didn't see it in the cinema. Popcorn ruined.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44884
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#351  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 02, 2015 12:49 am

If you were in Jackass 3, you would have eaten the ruined popcorn.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 17520
Age: 65
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#352  Postby Macdoc » Oct 02, 2015 1:59 am

anyone seen a dwarf?? :roll:

On book 5 in Audible ...( I've read them all and watched the series but Audible offers another dimension )
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17441
Age: 74
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#353  Postby Fuxino » Feb 18, 2016 9:57 am

I hope The Winds of Winter will be out by the end of this year... Wouldn't bet on it, though. :/
I'm a big fan of this series, I've read the book three times, first in Italian and then also in English.
My blog (mostly in Italian): https://ioateo.wordpress.com

"Forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." Lawrence Krauss
User avatar
Fuxino
 
Name: Daniele
Posts: 29
Age: 32
Male

Country: Italy
Italy (it)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#354  Postby Fallible » Feb 18, 2016 10:01 am

The problem for me now is the longer we wait, the less I remember about the previous one. That then necessitates a re-read, but me being me, I'd need to start from the beginning of the series, and I already have waaay too many other books to read. FML.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#355  Postby Fuxino » Feb 18, 2016 10:06 am

Fallible wrote:I already have waaay too many other books to read. FML.

I have this "problem" too, and I keep buying new books even if I still have dozens to read. :mrgreen: But still, when the new book comes, I'll re-read the others first, there are too many details I don't remember... :smile:
My blog (mostly in Italian): https://ioateo.wordpress.com

"Forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." Lawrence Krauss
User avatar
Fuxino
 
Name: Daniele
Posts: 29
Age: 32
Male

Country: Italy
Italy (it)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#356  Postby Fallible » Feb 18, 2016 10:09 am

Yes...there's no getting around it. I mean I suppose I could find synopses online, but I'm not a synopsis kind of person.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#357  Postby VazScep » Feb 21, 2016 10:14 am

Fallible wrote:The problem for me now is the longer we wait, the less I remember about the previous one. That then necessitates a re-read, but me being me, I'd need to start from the beginning of the series, and I already have waaay too many other books to read. FML.
Same here. I read the first three back in 2002, then left it until Dance with Dragons came out and reread the lot. I think I'll wait for the next two books to come out, and then I'll reread the whole series.

That probably won't happen for a while, if ever.

I gave up on the TV series after the third season, so I'm not worried about spoilerings that way.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep
 
Posts: 4590

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#358  Postby Fallible » Feb 21, 2016 11:36 am

I think I've given up on that too. It's diverging/deviating so much from the books that it's just irritating to me and not enjoyable. I understand that being different doesn't necessarily make it bad, but I wanted to see the things I'd read about happen as I pictured them. I haven't really had that since the Red Wedding.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#359  Postby VazScep » Feb 21, 2016 11:54 am

Fallible wrote:I think I've given up on that too. It's diverging/deviating so much from the books that it's just irritating to me and not enjoyable. I understand that being different doesn't necessarily make it bad, but I wanted to see the things I'd read about happen as I pictured them. I haven't really had that since the Red Wedding.
I didn't like Catelyn in the books. I could never forgive her for what she did to Tyrion in GoT. And I didn't much like Rob. Kind of thought him a petulant kid after his first whiny run in with Joffrey, and neither sufficiently redeemed themselves in my eyes. I was very much "good riddance" after the red wedding and then promptly annoyed by the epilogue where Catelyn comes back (though I like the way her reanimated corpse plays out in the next books).

Don't know if you find this, but sometimes an adaptation much improves on my meagre imagination. Making Rob older and getting rid of that Joffrey encounter made him much cooler. When Catelyn captured Tyrion in the series I was thinking "go Catelyn!" rather than "not fucking cool!".

I was getting bored by season 2 and missed parts of it falling asleep. But I had to watch season 3 just for the red viper. My god that didn't disappoint.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep
 
Posts: 4590

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#360  Postby Fallible » Feb 21, 2016 12:49 pm

Ah, yes.Hed asplodeI will give them. I also think Tyrion's casting was genius and one of the best things about the series. I agree that making certain characters older helped. Unfortunately though, I think I am just too anal to be able to tolerate much deviation from something which I perceive as supposed to be a certain way. Doing away with certain characters stuck in my craw, eg. Coldhands, Strong Belwas, Vargo Hoat and all the Undying, although I understand why, and pretty much completely re-writing big sections made me do a sad wee.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest