A Song of Ice and Fire.

For those of us want to discuss Game of Thrones beyond the TV series.

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

A Song of Ice and Fire.

#1  Postby Animavore » May 08, 2013 10:12 pm

*** SPOILER THREAD ***

This thread is for those of us who have read the books and want to discuss and compare them to the TV series.

*** SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POST ***
Last edited by Animavore on May 08, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire.

#2  Postby virphen » May 08, 2013 10:13 pm

It's Ice and Fire. :coffee:
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » May 08, 2013 10:16 pm

That doesn't even have a ring to it! :lay:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby virphen » May 08, 2013 10:20 pm

So is this where the 14,567,332nd online discussion of who Jon Snow's real parents are takes place?
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby willhud9 » May 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Dumbledore dies.

/thread

:hide:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » May 08, 2013 10:36 pm

First up, this change to the story with Gendry - Does this mean, contrary to speculation, that GRR hasn't got any big plans for him after all? :think:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby willhud9 » May 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Animavore wrote:First up, this change to the story with Gendry - Does this mean, contrary to speculation, that GRR hasn't got any big plans for him after all? :think:

Well do we know that Melisandre wants to off him? :ask:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Animavore » May 08, 2013 10:49 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Animavore wrote:First up, this change to the story with Gendry - Does this mean, contrary to speculation, that GRR hasn't got any big plans for him after all? :think:

Well do we know that Melisandre wants to off him? :ask:

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » May 09, 2013 2:07 am

So, I'm not crazy in thinking that Theon should no longer be alive in the tv series, right? I'm currently reading Feast for Crows (or whatever it's called) and am certain I rememeber Theon dying. Instead, he appears to be getting tortured in some unknown place for unknown reasons. I iz confoosed.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby virphen » May 09, 2013 2:11 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:So, I'm not crazy in thinking that Theon should no longer be alive in the tv series, right? I'm currently reading Feast for Crows (or whatever it's called) and am certain I rememeber Theon dying. Instead, he appears to be getting tortured in some unknown place for unknown reasons. I iz confoosed.

You either remember wrong, or have read to much into something. Unless you want to take the view that the personality "Theon Greyjoy" has died, to be replaced by something else.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 09, 2013 7:29 am

Either that or the series has definitively split of from it source material.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nostalgia » May 11, 2013 12:03 am

I can't help but think if Stannis knew about Gendry, him being so annoyingly honourable, he'd step aside and fight for Gendry to be king. That is if the law states that a bastard son comes before a brother in the line of succession.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby virphen » May 11, 2013 12:08 am

Well it wouldn't be Gendry, as there is an older bastard (Edric Storm) who was holed up at Storm's End until the castellan was killed by one of Milsandre's shadows, who would be the eldest male. Rather than standing aside for him, he was going to be given to her to sacrifice if Davos Seaworth hadn't got him the fuck out.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Nostalgia » May 11, 2013 12:11 am

It's been a while since I've read the books so you'll have to forgive my ignorance... but what happened to Edric? Is he still alive?
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#16  Postby virphen » May 11, 2013 12:19 am

Also, in regard to bastardry, I am fairly sure that to inherit, a bastard has to be legitimised by a king (which happens a few times in the books or in the backstory).

Ramsay Bolton is legitimised by either Joffrey or Tommen after the Red Wedding as part of the deal with his father. Rob Stark tries to legitimise Jon Snow and make him his heir. And a king of 100 years or so prior to the books caused a great deal of problems by legitimising all his bastard, leading to multiple rebellions by some of the bastards and their heirs.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 13, 2013 7:31 am

I feel they've introduced the return to the Twins plot a bit to soon. Going by the episode titles, the Red Wedding isn't the next episode but the one after that. So either they're still going to be travelling in the next episode or the Wedding is going to be spread over 2 episodes somehow.
Same with regards to Theon's torture, it's just dragging on. The points been made imo, you don't have to show all the characters each episode.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby virphen » May 13, 2013 7:39 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Same with regards to Theon's torture, it's just dragging on. The points been made imo, you don't have to show all the characters each episode.

I'm not so sure about this, even to the point that they've shown it so far it is insufficient to explain his transformation into Reek, rhymes with meek, freak, weak...
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 13, 2013 7:44 am

virphen wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

I'm not so sure about this, even to the point that they've shown it so far it is insufficient to explain his transformation into Reek, rhymes with meek, freak, weak...

Thing is, they could've shown this transformation by now, with the ammount of time they've wasted on torture scenes, imo.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby virphen » May 14, 2013 6:54 am

Varangian wrote:
Brian wrote:So... that castration scene from this weeks episode. I'm still squirming.

You didn't have the balls for it?

About those torture scenes - are they from next book, or written in?

I wonder how much they'll pack into the remainder of the season. With the upcoming events, it will be an explosive finale!

In response to the spoilered question, from the TV series thread:
Theon is not seen at all in book III, but the events shown in the series are happening during that time period, but we don't learn about it (other than as rumours as to what is happening to him) until book V.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Books