Another book what I wrote

Free Fall

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Another book what I wrote

#41  Postby Evolving » Jul 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Coastal wrote:Sorry, I was asking Evolving.

I'm looking for new Sci-Fi to read after my current book is done (Stephen Baxter) so I will definitely check that out and your books as well. Only thing is, Ursula K. LeGuin's books were written relatively long ago. I'm always a bit weary of this when it comes to sci-fi because of all the newer scientific knowledge that would be necessarily not be included or considered by the author. Do you not find that this is an issue?

i know what you mean, definitely. I've recently been re-reading The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - really vintage SF! - and looked at purely from a modern scientific point of view it's quite comical.

I'd say it depends on what role the science plays in the story. If the science is crucial to the story, and the story simply doesn't work if the science is wrong, then I agree. Journey to the Centre of the Earth, for instance (I was watching the film recently): Jules Verne ought to have known even then that the interior of the Earth gets painfully hotter even at the depth of an ordinary mine, let alone its centre, so that his story is simply impossible and pointless.

Something like The Left Hand of Darkness, on the other hand, isn't really about the science: it's about the society on the planet that the author postulates, and the individuals who live in that society, and that being the case I don't think that the advances of science since 1969 have impaired the novel at all.

In my own stories I aim for verisimilitude, based on the science that I've learned, and if that turns out to be faulty later, as science advances, then that will be a pity. It's not just the science, by the way: Pale Glint of the Sun clearly thinks the UK is still going to be part of the European Union when Mars is settled. Oops!
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Evolving » Oct 03, 2016 6:17 pm

The third book is now up on the website:

http://www.lindsayanthony.com/a-shining-thing--in-timeless-space.html

I'd love to hear how people like it, whether they do or whether they don't.

I don't want to disappoint anyone: it's not your typical science fiction. (Neither are the other two.) Here's the blurb describing it:

Hella Lundgren, famous concert pianist, originally from Sweden, now resident on Mars for many years, is about to embark on the voyage of a lifetime, to be one of the star performers at a music festival far away from home: in the Jovian System, consisting of three of the moons of Jupiter.

A homegrown movement has taken over the running there, secession is in the air, and both sides want to use Hella for their own purposes, with an eye to the PR benefit of having such a celebrity taking their part.

But nobody knows that Hella has just been diagnosed with a disease that will soon stop her from playing and, after that, kill her. Only those who are closest and dearest to her; and none of those are on board.

Hella has to work out what this knowledge means for her, for the shape of her whole life; she needs to understand her own feelings; beside her day job as a musician she now has a political job to do for which she feels woefully unprepared; and new perspectives and emotions are starting to burgeon, now near the end of her life, that create quite unexpected challenges.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Mazille » Oct 03, 2016 7:32 pm

Another one? How?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Animavore » Oct 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Oh, nice reminder to buy these. It's funny now that when the first one came out I was in college, broke as fuck, had no debit card, and couldn't buy it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Evolving » Oct 04, 2016 8:38 am

Mazille wrote:Another one? How?

Well, you know. The usual way. :)

I started this book a few weeks after finishing Free Fall, in May last year. By the end of last year I had written most of it; I took a break, initially for school holidays, because I can't concentrate on writing with a mischievous gnome cavorting about the place; then I was so busy, with one thing and another, until June. The next thing I did was to create the website, at first just with Free Fall; I then wrote the final 15k words or so of Thing; sent it to the Writers' Workshop, thought about their response and had a chat with their reviewer on the phone; I've made those alterations that I feel I want to make; and now here it is.

That's how.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Blip » Oct 05, 2016 5:49 am

Evie's latest work is very good and deals with its central theme in an original way. I'll say no more as I recommend you read it yourselves. :cheers:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 08, 2016 7:28 am

An obvious though presumably unintentional reference to Ziggy Stardust in the very first line
Because no sooner had I read it than it jumped straight off the page at me so great start Evo
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Evolving » Oct 08, 2016 11:21 am

Huh. That was indeed entirely unintentional.

Hope you enjoy it! Especially the spiders.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 08, 2016 12:36 pm

I have read the first chapter. There is very little to indicate it is science fiction even though it obviously is. So would have liked a few more reference points for that. Nothing too blatant just something subtle. I also thought the names of the two Martians rather unrealistic. But those minor quibbles aside I have no problem with it so far. As the pace is perfect and the potential problem with the Jovians is emphasised but no more than is absolutely necessary at this stage. So very promising
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#50  Postby Evolving » Oct 09, 2016 10:03 am

As a suggestion (just trying to be helpful): maybe don't approach this with the expectation of being presented with a science fiction story. Yes, it's set in space, which pushes it in the direction of SF; but we could have much the same story, with the appropriate adjustments, set on a ship voyaging to Australia in the early nineteenth century. (Though I don't think they'd be going to a music festival.) The setting is just the setting, not the genre.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Evolving » Oct 11, 2016 4:06 pm

In other words: just let the story happen, without preconceptions. (I understand where the preconceptions come from.)
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby jamest » Oct 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Did you ever think of going semi-educational and writing science related fiction for children? Just curious, as I have a hunch you'd be very good at it.
They came, they saw, they concurred.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#53  Postby jamest » Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm

I've just realised that you might interpret that last post as a criticism of what you've already written. Not so, as I haven't read any of the previous books. I just have a hunch that partly-educational science combined with fictional life would appeal more to kids and thus improve sales... $$. Dunno if you're doing this for the fun or the $$ though.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Evolving » Oct 12, 2016 9:55 am

A more scientifically sound Harry Potter? It's a possibility.

I have the impression that a lot of mums write young adult fiction once the children are a bit older and they have more time: it's almost a cliché. I must say, I quite enjoy writing for grown-ups, exploring the kinds of issues that are important to grown-ups. Motherhood; sisterhood; jealousy and resentment; mortality. Some of those are, of course, relevant to younger people too. Actually all of them, potentially, now I come to think about it.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby jamest » Oct 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Evolving wrote:A more scientifically sound Harry Potter? It's a possibility.

Sort of. Easier said than done creating characters and a story which will simultaneously entertain kids and also stimulate an interest in science/physics, but you appear to be qualified on both fronts.

I have the impression that a lot of mums write young adult fiction once the children are a bit older and they have more time: it's almost a cliché. I must say, I quite enjoy writing for grown-ups, exploring the kinds of issues that are important to grown-ups. Motherhood; sisterhood; jealousy and resentment; mortality. Some of those are, of course, relevant to younger people too. Actually all of them, potentially, now I come to think about it.

Yes. Maybe there's a possibility of incorporating such an endeavour into your series of Mars books? Dunno, just chewing the fat.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby BlackBart » Oct 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Harry waved his wand. Nothing happened. 'Bother' said Harry.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby jamest » Oct 12, 2016 8:38 pm

BlackBart wrote:

... "That's not correct", said Harry's boffin companion, "as you've created air disturbances which will have profound ramifications for butterflies on the other side of the world...".
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Evolving » Oct 12, 2016 8:46 pm

BlackBart wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby NamelessFaceless » Dec 30, 2016 8:27 pm

I just finished Free Fall. I really enjoyed it, even more than the first one. I really identified with Amy and the story of the Cultwas fascinating. A lot like what Scientology did to the City of Clearwater.

Is the third one available on Kindle?
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Evolving » Jan 01, 2017 11:14 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Nameless. Free Fall is much better than Pale Glint, for all sorts of reasons.

Did you find it plausible that Robert would be attracted to Amy, or did you wonder what on earth he saw in her? Somebody made that comment once. Of course there's not a lot of competition, and some men may think, any port in a storm.

I enjoyed writing about the weightless gymnastics, and the big argument at the end was satisfying.

I haven't made Shining Thing available on Kindle, but I'm happy to do so if there's interest.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books