Another book what I wrote

Free Fall

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Another book what I wrote

#1  Postby Evolving » Jun 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Last year I started this thread to let people here know about a novel that I had self-published.

It was gratifying to see how much interest and positive feedback that generated. I said at the time that I had just finished a second novel, and now, in fact, I have nearly finished the third.

This is now to let you know that I have set up a website on which I intend to host the full text of all three of those novels, as well as future ones. I’m starting with Free Fall, the second novel, and will upload it a chapter at a time as a serial: probably once a week. Chapter One is there now.

Free Fall is set about a hundred years after Pale Glint of the Sun. Both Mars and the Solar System in general have changed since that first story, but it’s still recognisably the same world; as it is in the third novel too, set even later.

Here is the website: http://www.lindsayanthony.com/home.html
and here is Free Fall: http://www.lindsayanthony.com/free-fall.html.

Comments welcome, whether on the book or the website, or, I suppose, on me as a human being.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Another book what I wrote

#2  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jun 16, 2016 4:10 pm

That's excellent! Congratulations!!! :cheers:

I'm looking forward to reading this, although I really hate getting things in a series. I prefer to binge-read.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Evolving » Jun 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Maybe it's a bad idea.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby TopCat » Jun 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Evolving wrote:Maybe it's a bad idea.

I think it is.

I'd prefer to have the book in its entirety - probably electronically, but on the rare occasions I have time to sit and read, I'd rather have the whole thing available. I enjoyed Pale Glint, but at a chapter a week I'd probably have lost interest, to be honest.

I'd love you to publish Free Fall as you did Pale Glint - I'd be happy to pay, and I'd much rather have it in e-book form than read it in a browser.

:cheers: :cheers:
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jun 16, 2016 6:10 pm

TopCat wrote:I'd be happy to pay, and I'd much rather have it in e-book form than read it in a browser.

:this:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Evolving » Jun 16, 2016 6:11 pm

OK, you've convinced me. I'll upload the whole thing. May take me a day or two.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Evolving » Jun 16, 2016 6:13 pm

E-book form will take a bit longer.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jun 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Evolving wrote:E-book form will take a bit longer.

It it's worth the wait, it's worth the wait. :cheers:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby TopCat » Jun 16, 2016 6:29 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Evolving wrote:E-book form will take a bit longer.

It it's worth the wait, it's worth the wait. :cheers:

:this:
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Beatrice » Jun 17, 2016 12:44 am

Well, evo, that's another 3 books what I'mma gonna read! :yay:
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Blip » Jun 17, 2016 10:25 am

Beatrice wrote:Well, evo, that's another 3 books what I'mma gonna read! :yay:

You won't be disappointed. Our Evolving is a talented writer. :cheers:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Jun 17, 2016 10:31 am

I must get that first book. At the time of release I was a poverty stricken student getting my benefits through cash and couldn't purchase a copy.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mazille » Jun 17, 2016 10:39 am

Blip wrote:
Beatrice wrote:Well, evo, that's another 3 books what I'mma gonna read! :yay:

You won't be disappointed. Our Evolving is a talented writer. :cheers:

She is indeed. Very much looking forward to getting into the other two, Ev! :cheers:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14  Postby VazScep » Jun 17, 2016 10:58 am

Evolving wrote:Last year I started this thread to let people here know about a novel that I had self-published.

It was gratifying to see how much interest and positive feedback that generated. I said at the time that I had just finished a second novel, and now, in fact, I have nearly finished the third.

This is now to let you know that I have set up a website on which I intend to host the full text of all three of those novels, as well as future ones. I’m starting with Free Fall, the second novel, and will upload it a chapter at a time as a serial: probably once a week. Chapter One is there now.

Free Fall is set about a hundred years after Pale Glint of the Sun. Both Mars and the Solar System in general have changed since that first story, but it’s still recognisably the same world; as it is in the third novel too, set even later.

Here is the website: http://www.lindsayanthony.com/home.html
and here is Free Fall: http://www.lindsayanthony.com/free-fall.html.

Comments welcome, whether on the book or the website, or, I suppose, on me as a human being.
You're a scientist, and I find you a talented author, and while I appreciate the human story of Pale Glint of the Sun, I have to admit I'm more a sucker for the sort of hard sci-fi where I get to learn a bit of scientific theory, or see some stuff I already knew explored in cool new ways. Possibly the hardest sci-fi I've read is this book whose conceptual premise was "what would it take for a preindustrial civilisation to discover relativity rapidly from first principles?" You seem really well placed to write this sort of thing. Any plans for that sort of novel, or is it something you're not so interested in? Maybe a bit of a busman's holiday for you?

Anyway, here's a very opinionated paragraph from the last novel I read, which I totally agree with:

I've always felt that the greatest and most beautiful stories in the history of humanity were not sung by wandering bards or written by playwrights and novelists, but told by science. The stories of science are far more magnificent, grand, involved, profound, thrilling, strange, terrifying, mysterious, and even emotional, compared to the stories told by literature. [...] The creation myths of the various peoples and religions of the world pale when compared to the glory of the big bang. The three-billion-year history of life's evolution from self-reproducing molecules to civilization contains twists and romances that cannot be matched by any myth or epic.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Beatrice » Jun 17, 2016 11:21 am

Which novel is this from VazScep? I absolutely agree with the passage you quoted

One of the most exciting, mind-blowing things I've ever read is the story about the coevolution of the fig tree and the wasp in Climbing Mount Improbable by Dawkins.

Evo, you're right on time for me. I'm about to start reading the Hydrogen Sonata which is the last one of the Culture Series by Iain M. Banks. After that, I would have been sci-fi-less. :waah:
I love sci-fi but find it very difficult to find sci-fi that I love - if that makes any sense.
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby VazScep » Jun 17, 2016 1:37 pm

It's from the Afterword of The Three Body Problem, by Liu Cixin. The English translation got released a few years back, and it won last year's Hugo Award. Apparently, the Chinese are also releasing a movie next month.
It's pretty much exactly what I want in a sci-fi.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Evolving » Jun 17, 2016 2:24 pm

I've now uploaded the whole of Free Fall to the website. Should be live in a matter of minutes.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Evolving » Jun 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Vaz, I'm not sure I'd be any good at the sort of sci-fi you describe! Better to stick with what I know, I think.

Beatrice, I feel exactly the same way about the fig chapter. My mind was blown too.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby VazScep » Jun 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Evolving wrote:Vaz, I'm not sure I'd be any good at the sort of sci-fi you describe!
But you seem supremely qualified!

Ultimately, I don't have a clue what it's like to write a novel of any sort, so I'm being naive as hell here. But I read your science posts, and I've read your book, and I'm just thinking: where's the crazy quantum mechanics, here's how relativity arises out of Maxwell's equations combo!?

(apologies for whining. It's awesome having a sci-fi author here of any kind.)
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Evolving » Jun 19, 2016 7:48 pm

I could certainly explain the science: that's what I do in my physics posts here. It's the imagination that I'm less certain about: I don't think the ideas would flow as readily for hard sci-fi as they've been doing for, as you say, the human stories.

I sent Free Fall to the Writers' Workshop for their thoughts,some time ago; the chap they passed it on to for review, himself a sci-fi author, made a point about genre which I think was spot-on. In a nutshell, at its heart the story is a human drama which could equally well take place (with the appropriate amendments to the setting) on Earth: in an Arctic mining operation, say, or in a Chinese province under the influence of Falun Gong and with some international sporting event taking place there. I think that's right, and I'd say the only reason these stories are set in space at all is because I think I can do it, I feel comfortable with it, as a result of my studies of physics. This Solar System of the reasonably near future feels to me like a region that I know, like Hardy's Wessex; I could just as easily, in principle, write novels set in a country or a town where I have lived myself. So, if we're being exact, these novels are not really science fiction at all; they're character-driven dramas that unfold in a sci-fi-like setting.
Evolving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Books