As I near the end of my third year as a full-time writer...

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

As I near the end of my third year as a full-time writer...

#1  Postby kennyc » Nov 03, 2014 3:56 pm

As I near the end of my third year as a full-time writer I invite you to enter my world. I’ve been a reader forever, particularly science fiction as I grew up and through my adolescence and early adult life. The wider world of literature opened to me somewhat late in my education as I was completing my engineering degree and had to fill in some English courses. The writing began with my job creating technology assessment reports for a major telecommunication company. From there I was drawn back to the science fiction I loved, took independent writing courses and joined a local writers group which focused on speculative fiction.

I published a few short stories as a result, but life interfered and I spent most of my time just making a living and raising a family but always with the hope of getting back to the writing. After a failed attempt at writing full time – just couldn’t make it economically – I went back to the corporate slave world and vowed to write only what I felt like writing. That was poetry. I wrote a hell of a lot of bad poetry (but with a few shining stars) which fortunately was never published. I continued to learn and bide my time and strove to write and publish only the best things I could while I worked toward a future opportunity to write full time again which I fortunately was able to reach a few years ago. Since then I’ve published four poetry collections, a memoir of growing up in Oklahoma, and a collection of science essays. These are available at Amazon.com as ebooks (my preferred medium). I don’t currently plan to publish my work on paper, but as with all things that could change.

Take a look at the books at my Amazon author page: http://www.amazon.com/Kenny-A.-Chaffin/ ... _pel_pop_1
My website: http://www.kacweb.com/poems/index.html and my blogs:
Mansions of the Mind http://mansionsofthemind.blogspot.com/
and The Bleeding Edge http://kennyachaffin.blogspot.com/
for more information and additional samples of my work.

And please if you like what you see, support it. Buy a book or books. Support the arts!
Last edited by kennyc on Nov 03, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: As I near the end of my third year as a full-time writer...

#2  Postby Macdoc » Nov 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kennyc » Nov 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Macdoc wrote:First link is broken
Needs this
http://www.amazon.com/Kenny-A.-Chaffin/ ... nskepti-20

that sucks, it's because the forum software is trying to put a tag on it I think. It did the same thing to the one you posted....I'll try to fix it

...I think I did, try it now.

and thank you!! :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Nov 03, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm going to request you on 'Poetry please' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp7q

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby kennyc » Nov 03, 2014 10:41 pm

campermon wrote:I'm going to request you on 'Poetry please' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp7q

:beer:

Thank you sir!

:grin:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » Nov 04, 2014 3:32 am

a bevy of squirrels

Why the radio silence about that? :snooty: I remember you shared a chipmunk picture once.
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby kennyc » Nov 04, 2014 3:35 am

The_Piper wrote:
a bevy of squirrels

Why the radio silence about that? :snooty: I remember you shared a chipmunk picture once.

Not much photography going on....
will see about sharing some older onrs though.

Thx!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Piper » Nov 04, 2014 3:49 am

kennyc wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
a bevy of squirrels

Not much photography going on....
will see about sharing some older onrs though.

Thx!

:cheers:
Pics would be fun to see if you want, but I posted the snooty face because I didn't know you were a fellow fan. :)
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby crazyfitter » Nov 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Kenny, have just bought and read Growing Up Stories and submitted a short review. Nearly blew me away the coincidences with my own memories, the tricycle and the belt whipping in particular. I remember my dad taking his belt off to me to 'give me some spanish'. Your cat was called tipton, mine was tiptoes. Unlike you I was never 'driven' to do anything and was led by the nose in the direction I took. Also unlike you I hated electrical study.

Thanks to google I've even taken a trip round the square in Madill and had a look at Lake Texoma. My daughter calls me a stalker. Ha.

You have inspired me to resume writing again, the bit I've done I've been proud of because its on the recommended reading list at the University of Nottingham's dep of Modern History, as the mines are now closed. Its the link at the side of the post. Unfortunately I've been trying to get it updated for 2 years, my nephew has it on his server, but to no avail yet. Some of the links don't work and I want to put Ratskep on it, and I'm retired now. Heigh ho.

I don't know how many sales you have had but an idea might be to gather similar stories from round the world. For example a collection of essays in the 10-20k range, 1 from every continent and written by working guys be they labourers, peasants, or craftsmen. No famous people, just earthy/industrial/characterful prose. All together in one book might attract attention and sales. Shouldn't be too difficult to do?

Anyway, it was a great read and thank you for it.
The slap in the face that is offered by anti-rationalist, pseudo-scientists and anti-intellectuals that infest much of public discourse is a sad coda to what has been achieved these centuries past by the scientific method - don’t get me started
crazyfitter

Name: John Round
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ironclad » Nov 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Nice, Kenny! :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#11  Postby kennyc » Nov 10, 2014 11:01 pm

crazyfitter wrote:Hi Kenny, have just bought and read Growing Up Stories and submitted a short review. Nearly blew me away the coincidences with my own memories, the tricycle and the belt whipping in particular. I remember my dad taking his belt off to me to 'give me some spanish'. Your cat was called tipton, mine was tiptoes. Unlike you I was never 'driven' to do anything and was led by the nose in the direction I took. Also unlike you I hated electrical study.

Thanks to google I've even taken a trip round the square in Madill and had a look at Lake Texoma. My daughter calls me a stalker. Ha.

You have inspired me to resume writing again, the bit I've done I've been proud of because its on the recommended reading list at the University of Nottingham's dep of Modern History, as the mines are now closed. Its the link at the side of the post. Unfortunately I've been trying to get it updated for 2 years, my nephew has it on his server, but to no avail yet. Some of the links don't work and I want to put Ratskep on it, and I'm retired now. Heigh ho.

I don't know how many sales you have had but an idea might be to gather similar stories from round the world. For example a collection of essays in the 10-20k range, 1 from every continent and written by working guys be they labourers, peasants, or craftsmen. No famous people, just earthy/industrial/characterful prose. All together in one book might attract attention and sales. Shouldn't be too difficult to do?

Anyway, it was a great read and thank you for it.

Thank you! I'm glad it resonated with you and appreciate your review! I certainly am not making a living from my writing, but am enjoying the heck out of it! Certainly not much of a market for poetry or memoir/essays but it's a worthy endeavor! :D

Will be interested in seeing what you come up with!
Keep me posted!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 10, 2014 11:17 pm

I esteem writing above any other occupation I can think of. I'm trying myself but aren't as productive as I would wish. When you say "full time" do you mean 35+ hours a week? How often do you manage it lol
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#13  Postby kennyc » Nov 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I esteem writing above any other occupation I can think of. I'm trying myself but aren't as productive as I would wish. When you say "full time" do you mean 35+ hours a week? How often do you manage it lol

Well, I guess it depends on how you measure, but I spend at least 8 hours a day at my desk, certainly that's not all writing, but researching, reading, studying, and of course screwing off on the interwebz!

At one point I set a daily word goal, but that didn't work real well, I tend to work more in bursts than anything.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Shameless self promotion there Kenny, which I fully and whole heartily support. :D

Congratulations, you have made impressive accomplishments.

I wish you all the best as you continue.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby surreptitious57 » Nov 11, 2014 7:55 am

I am thinking of writing poetry from now on instead of short fiction since I do not have a great imagination and there is more flexibility with it for it does not have to conform to a narrative so much. I am on a writing course and I have submitted work but only once had any thing published but that does not deter me from writing as such even though I only do it infrequently
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby kennyc » Nov 11, 2014 11:21 am

Interestingly surreptitious, poetry requires just as much if not more imagination/creativity. I'm very deep into reading, studying, learning, and writing flash fiction, flash non-fiction and prose poetry at the moment and for most of the past year. You might check out those forms. Nin Andrews, Lydia Davis, David Shumate, Stuart Dybek.... The Rose Metal Press Field Guides to these forms are quite good introductions.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby kennyc » Jul 15, 2017 9:57 am

Wow! Old Thread. Just showed up as a visit on my blog. :D
guess it's almost 6 years now....still hacking at it. Many new pieces published in various online mags etc. Not really making money at it, but doing what I love writing poetry, prose, flash and microfiction. I even picked up my pencils a couple of weeks ago and started a new drawing of Robert Oppenheimer - "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds" :cheers:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Jul 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Good for you. Are you coming back here or just cameo as per hackenslash?
tuco

Print view this post

Return to Books