Authors boycott PEN gala over Charlie Hebdo award

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Authors boycott PEN gala over Charlie Hebdo award

#21  Postby OlivierK » Apr 29, 2015 10:41 pm

How is it nonsense? Prose has characterised what Charlie Hebdo does as no more than crudely drawing Mohommed on toilet walls just to piss people off. I think that falls far short of the whole truth. It paints Charlie Hebdo as ignorant or uncaring about the politics of free speech, a position I think Prose would find hard to defend. It's not about winning the war on terrorism, it's about resisting others' attempts to make certain ideas unsayable, a position often taken by religions to maintain social power. As suh religions should be mockable without violent consequence. More than that, Cahrlie Hebdo didn't just mock religion, they stridently mocked and rejected the idea of blasphemy. As they should. Blasphemy is like measles - a blight of an idea that we have the tools (includng mockery) to eradicate, but despite having almost wiped it off the face of the planet, it hangs on because some people are too scared to participate in the vaccination program, either because they don't want to take the risk of a personal adverse effect, or they have some wooly-headed idea that anti-vax opinions deserve acceptance because it would be patronising to call anti-vaxers dangerous idiots. Ironically, that sort of accomodationism is dangerously idiotic itself.

In my opinion.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Apr 30, 2015 4:48 am

Was directed to this blog post (via the book of faces), which I think I am largely in agreement with -

https://33revolutionsperminute.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/charlie-hebdo-pen-and-the-wrong-kind-of-free-speech/

[Frances Prose] saves her most offensive claim till last. “The narrative of the Charlie Hebdo murders – white Europeans killed in their offices by Muslim extremists – is one that feeds neatly into the cultural prejudices that have allowed our government to make so many disastrous mistakes in the Middle East.” Narrative. Neatly. No doubt the victims would have preferred a more ambiguous story arc as long as it left them still breathing.
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby tuco » Apr 30, 2015 6:47 am

OlivierK wrote:How is it nonsense? Prose has characterised what Charlie Hebdo does as no more than crudely drawing Mohommed on toilet walls just to piss people off. I think that falls far short of the whole truth. It paints Charlie Hebdo as ignorant or uncaring about the politics of free speech, a position I think Prose would find hard to defend. It's not about winning the war on terrorism, it's about resisting others' attempts to make certain ideas unsayable, a position often taken by religions to maintain social power. As suh religions should be mockable without violent consequence. More than that, Cahrlie Hebdo didn't just mock religion, they stridently mocked and rejected the idea of blasphemy. As they should. Blasphemy is like measles - a blight of an idea that we have the tools (includng mockery) to eradicate, but despite having almost wiped it off the face of the planet, it hangs on because some people are too scared to participate in the vaccination program, either because they don't want to take the risk of a personal adverse effect, or they have some wooly-headed idea that anti-vax opinions deserve acceptance because it would be patronising to call anti-vaxers dangerous idiots. Ironically, that sort of accomodationism is dangerously idiotic itself.

In my opinion.

Alright. Since there is no truth to be found - there is no way to verify claims made about intent, purpose and consequence - I will thank you for your opinion. It is not wrong nor stupid.
tuco

Print view this post

#24  Postby quisquose » May 01, 2015 8:50 am

https://thegerasites.wordpress.com/2015 ... omment-340

Charlie Hebdo and the Turds That Won’t Flush

By David Paxton — @canyouflybobby

‘Ding’ ‘Ding’ Round 57…

‘He’s obsessed’ you remark. Well yes actually, I am a bit. But even when I think enough should have been said on this matter yet more turds float to the surface and I think it important to try and flush them. By now however, it’s beginning to feel like nothing so much as playing whac-a-mole. But with turds.

Much has already been written about the PEN debacle. This by Tom Owolade is typically good. I have also attacked Glenn Greenwald’s laughable contribution here. But the same tropes keep coming up again and again. 10 days after the massacre I posted this long and, I had forlornly hoped, exhaustive piece breaking down the various forms of apologia. I think it holds up. However, the superbug like inability for some of this bullshit to die is quite something to behold and is itself worthy of examination.

As I said at the time, the filthy fifth-columnist detritus require little examination. They are Islamists and wish to exculpate Islamists. The Useless Idiots like Nabilla Ramadi suffer from a form of Muslim nationalism that makes her bend any truth or logic to ensure that all Muslims are not tarred with the same brush. Even though no serious person seeks to do so.

But there are the others. The sort of smart, talented and lauded person who when not writing novels sends letters to PEN explaining why the unbelievably brave shouldn’t be granted a bravery award. These are the ones deserving a second glance. Yes, because they really should be allies but also because their problems are seemingly a touch more complicated

More here
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby tuco » May 01, 2015 9:18 am

And I see you cant let go:

Excellent analysis.

Very pleased to see you point out that people who think they can suggest there is a distinction between CH and Avijit Roy are being very stupid at best, and stupidly racist at worst.
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Books