Beatrix Potter story Kitty-in-Boots discovered after 100 yea

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Beatrix Potter story Kitty-in-Boots discovered after 100 yea

#1  Postby DougC » Jan 27, 2016 2:37 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35407846

B.B.C. Article

A new story written by Beatrix Potter more than 100 years ago, featuring Peter Rabbit, is to be published for the first time.
The Tale of Kitty-in-Boots was rediscovered by publisher Jo Hanks after she found a reference to it in an out-of-print Potter biography.
Quentin Blake, best known for his work with Roald Dahl, has illustrated the story, to be published in September.
Potter had only completed a single drawing to go with the manuscript.

She sent the story to her publisher in 1914, saying it was about "a well-behaved prime black Kitty cat, who leads rather a double life".
The Tale of Kitty-in-Boots also features an appearance from an "older, slower" version of Peter Rabbit.
Ms Hanks, a publisher at Penguin Random House Children's, found a reference to Potter's letter to her publisher and the unedited manuscript in the 1970s literary history about the author.
Three manuscripts were then found in the Victoria and Albert Museum archive, handwritten in school notebooks - a rough colour sketch of Kitty-in-Boots, a pencil sketch of villain Mr Tod and a dummy book, with some of the manuscript laid out.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Beatrix Potter story Kitty-in-Boots discovered after 100 yea

#2  Postby Blip » Jan 27, 2016 7:17 am

:kitten:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jan 27, 2016 12:23 pm

I recall an Antiques Roadshow episode where a guy brought a small notebook.....it was the original notebook she had sketched her characters in ..

After the presenter picked her jaw off the floor......the consensus was seemingly ...just about priceless. :shock: :coffee:

Potter artwork valued at £250,000

Beatrix Potter's books are popular in Japan and the USA
A visitor to the BBC's Antiques Roadshow has been told he is sitting on an unexpected fortune after his collection of Beatrix Potter artwork was valued at £250,000.
Jack Swanston had brought the 23 drawings and watercolours to be valued when the programme visited his area, Dumfries in Scotland.

But he never realised the value of the collection which belonged to his wife's family, which is now going into a bank for safe keeping.

Potter would write out her stories in an exercise book, paste in a few watercolours and a number of pen-and-ink sketches and then present it as a gift to a favoured child.

In this way, she was able to try out her books on real children first but she would borrow the little books back while working on the finished illustrations.

Although born in London in 1866, she married and moved to Cumbria, where she created her famous characters.

'Human settings'

She spent her last few decades extending her farm property and raising Herdwick sheep before her death in 1943, aged 77.

Clive Farahar, an antiquarian book seller who examined the pieces for the Sunday evening show, said: "The story is they came through Mr Swanston's wife's family.

"Her grandfather knew Beatrix Potter's brother who farmed in the Borders quite near to the artist's home.

"A lot of these pre-date Peter Rabbit which came out in 1902, many are sketches and a lot are half finished which doesn't make them any less interesting.

"They show small animals like kittens or mice and rabbits set in human settings doing human things."

more
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Jan 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Funnily I found a copy of Brer Rabbit, a much beloved book from my childhood, I'd thought, and when I leafed through it I was confused to find out it was written in some jive talking way I could not remember from my time with Beatrix Potter.

I had, of course, gotten mixed up with Peter Rabbit.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Return to Books