George R R Martin

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: George R R Martin

#101  Postby Mazille » Mar 07, 2011 9:08 pm

True enough. Agreed on all points.

And yeah, now that you mention it, the thick black hair does ring a bell or ten. :think:

Well, it has been a few years since I last read the books.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#102  Postby j.mills » Mar 09, 2011 9:51 pm

All this Martin talk is making me thirsty, so...
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Lizard_King » Mar 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Note to self: I should really be studying right now...

Anyways, here is a new trailer for AGOT. You see the wall for the first time (I think), and there's also some boobs. So enjoy. :thumbup:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvwrC5X7iJI[/youtube]

On Martin's Not A Blog, there is also a new vid by HBO with a presentation of the Starks. Ah, to be able so skip ahead one month... No exams, just half a marathon to run, some songs to record, and a weekly vacation in Winterfell... :sigh:
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Lizard_King » Mar 14, 2011 7:01 pm

BTW, j.mills, I meant to ask: How is the earlier Martin stuff? I only read ASOIAF so far (4 times now), and I need more fuel for the 50 books challenge eventually.
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#105  Postby j.mills » Mar 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Earlier Martin:

I'm lovin' The Armageddon Rag, which is (so far) a sort of murder-mystery and requiem for the '60s.

His Fevre Dream is the best vampire novel ever, set on a Mississippi steamboat in the 19th-century.

Windhaven (written with Lisa Tuttle) is a beautiful SF novel that feels like a fantasy.

Dying Of The Light, his first, is a surprisingly bleak SF novel that lingers in the mind.

His Rretrospective (note double R, a kind of pun or play on words, ho ho) is a mammoth collection of his excellent short fiction, in which the memoirs between the tales are as much fun as the stories themselves.

That's all I can comment on, though he's done lots of editing and part-work stuff. He edited and contributed to 15(+?) volumes(!) of Wild Cards, set in a sort of X-Men-ish world where random folks have superpowers, some of 'em distinctly undesirable. Haven't read those, apart from a couple in the Rretrospective.

I've greatly enjoyed everything of his I've read.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Lizard_King » Mar 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks, J, sounds great. Looks like I have some books to read when I'm done with my exams. :thumbup:

Have you read any of the Dunk and Egg stories? I hear they provide some background information on ASOIAF.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#107  Postby j.mills » Mar 15, 2011 9:54 pm

:shock: Rings no bells. But I might have, in his Rretrospective, and then forgotten! :dunno:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Lizard_King » Mar 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Really? There's three novels so far, all set in Westeros in the past. They focus mainly on the Targaryens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Dunk_and_Egg

Never read any of the books, but I hear they're pretty good.

BTW, I just remembered, I meant to show you guys this: If you're interested in wicked theories about the background of the characters, the various prophecies, and so on (Jon Snow's parents for instance, or the mysterious Sphinx in Oldtown in AFFC), there's some really good stuff here:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/

Under Essays and Analysis on the right, you'll find some pretty awesome insights. ;)
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#109  Postby j.mills » Mar 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Ah, I see. I have The Hedge Knight, evidently a Dunk and Egg tale, in an anthology; haven't gotten to it yet.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#110  Postby The Plc » Mar 16, 2011 1:48 am

I read the first 600 pages of the first Fire and Ice novel a few years ago before giving up. I actually enjoyed largely, but I went in expecting a lot more of the usual epic fantasy themes, big battles, prophecy, eminent doomsdays, messiah figures, magical powers, creatures of pure menevolence. It just read like a very fine, imagined 13th century history to me. Plus all the incest and rape and misogyny was unnerving me in its graphic gratuitousness, it reminded me too much of Peter Hamilton (Sci F Author) teenage attempts at depicting sex. I will probably give another go one of these days. Soon, until the new Robert Jordan Wheel of Time comes out.

You may attack me for being an ignorant philistine fool now :)
The Plc

Print view this post

#111  Postby j.mills » Mar 16, 2011 10:14 pm

I must say, you ignorant philistine fool The Plc, that stopping 600 pages into a book sounds rather like swimming two-thirds the way across the English Channel, then turning back because you don't think you'll make it! :dopey:

I went in expecting a lot more of the usual epic fantasy themes

For my money, a big part of the appeal is the way Martin constantly undercuts one's expectations. As he does, for instance, quite memorably in the ending you didn't read...

attempts at depicting sex

I know, I know. Such a chore reading about sex all the time. Sometimes I can't even take it in, and have to go back and read it again... :grin: (Incidentally, if incest and rape and misogyny aren't quite your thing, may I gently steer you away from Donaldson's Gap series? :smile:)

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Mazille » Mar 16, 2011 10:35 pm

j.mills wrote:I must say, you ignorant philistine fool The Plc, that stopping 600 pages into a book sounds rather like swimming two-thirds the way across the English Channel, then turning back because you don't think you'll make it! :dopey:

For my money, a big part of the appeal is the way Martin constantly undercuts one's expectations. As he does, for instance, quite memorably in the ending you didn't read...

Fucking hell, he does it a hundred (or so) pages in, when (SPOILER ALERT) Ned Stark meets his fate. And that isn't even mentioning his other sudden plot twists, changes in characters' attitudes and philosophies and even unexpected, yet consistent consequences of various characters' outlooks on life.
The undermining of familiar tropes is a big part of the fun to be had in this series.
j.mills wrote:

I know, I know. Such a chore reading about sex all the time. Sometimes I can't even take it in, and have to go back and read it again... :grin: (Incidentally, if incest and rape and misogyny aren't quite your thing, may I gently steer you away from Donaldson's Gap series? :smile:)

Considering that GRRM quite likely didn't aim for pleasant or erotic sex scenes (judging from the context) I'll have to say that they were quite appropriate. Even disregarding that, I read better sex scenes, but I also read a fuckload of worse ones.

Edit: Oh, and lest I forget: The Plc, yes, you are a bloody barbarian worthy of taking part in Alaric's sack of Rome. There you go. :lay:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Lizard_King » Mar 17, 2011 8:47 am

Mazille wrote:
j.mills wrote:I must say, you ignorant philistine fool The Plc, that stopping 600 pages into a book sounds rather like swimming two-thirds the way across the English Channel, then turning back because you don't think you'll make it! :dopey:

Fucking hell, he does it a hundred (or so) pages in, when (SPOILER ALERT) Ned Stark meets his fate.

I know I can be annoying as hell, and also a little pedantic, but I'm pretty sure the incident you're referring to is what J meant when he mentioned the memorable ending. Just FYI, in does happen in the end, last chapter in AGOT.

And that isn't even mentioning his other sudden plot twists, changes in characters' attitudes and philosophies and even unexpected, yet consistent consequences of various characters' outlooks on life.
The undermining of familiar tropes is a big part of the fun to be had in this series.

Totally. After all, it's dark fantasy at its best. No good and bad guys, no black and white, just shades of gray. All the characters are fairly multi-dimensional, some change over the course of time, a few even do so very dramatically (Jaime, for instance, Catelyn Stark, Daenerys...

j.mills wrote:

Considering that GRRM quite likely didn't aim for pleasant or erotic sex scenes (judging from the context) I'll have to say that they were quite appropriate. Even disregarding that, I read better sex scenes, but I also read a fuckload of worse ones.

I have to admit, while reading the books, it was the first scene with Daenerys and Khal Drogo I think, I stopped for half a minute when I realized that I was reading about an underage girl being (not exactly violently, but still) forced to have sex with a much older man, described by an old overweight dude from America. That idea seemed a little wrong for a second there, but then one of the voices in my head told me to stop thinking and continue reading... :shock:

Edit: Oh, and lest I forget: The Plc, yes, you are a bloody barbarian worthy of taking part in Alaric's sack of Rome. There you go. :lay:

Exactly. You beat me to it. :mrgreen:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Mazille » Mar 17, 2011 12:00 pm

That happened this late?
Fuck me. Haven't read the books in a while. :think:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Bolero » Mar 18, 2011 1:39 am

The Plc wrote:I read the first 600 pages of the first Fire and Ice novel a few years ago before giving up. I actually enjoyed largely, but I went in expecting a lot more of the usual epic fantasy themes, big battles, prophecy, eminent doomsdays, messiah figures, magical powers, creatures of pure menevolence. It just read like a very fine, imagined 13th century history to me. Plus all the incest and rape and misogyny was unnerving me in its graphic gratuitousness, it reminded me too much of Peter Hamilton (Sci F Author) teenage attempts at depicting sex. I will probably give another go one of these days. Soon, until the new Robert Jordan Wheel of Time comes out.

You may attack me for being an ignorant philistine fool now :)

S'OK by me, matey. I started this whole thread as an apology because I had previously been a bit indifferent to GRRM, which Mr Mills (among others) berated me for. After taking their advice and going back and giving him another chance, I really got into him (hence the apology).
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#116  Postby j.mills » Mar 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Just finished Martin's novel about rock, The Armageddon Rag, so I'll bung my review (4-star) in here:

The Nazgûl were the rock band that had it all, but their career was extinguished at its peak when their singer was shot dead at a concert in '71. Now it's 10 years later and their erstwhile promoter has been ritually murdered in a manner that connects with that earlier killing. Sandy Blair, a failing novelist and ex-journalist, finds himself embarking on a quest to get to the bottom of the murder.

The journey takes him across America, interviewing the remaining members of the Nazgûl and meeting up with his old friends from the '60s. In everyone he meets he sees the disillusion and dissolution of the '60s dream, and he struggles to reconcile his life now with the idealism of his youth. Meanwhile he discovers that Edan Morse, suspected years ago of social agitation that verged on terrorism, is trying to engineer an unlikely reunion of the Nazgûl, for some dark and disturbing purpose.

The novel is a requiem for the 1960s: its hopes, its liberation, its friendships and most of all its music. I found myself wishing I was at the concerts Martin so thrillingly describes, and that I could go on amazon and order the Nazgûl's albums! But a bigger ambition than nostalgia becomes apparent, as the book edges into supernatural territory and Sandy Blair's fight to maintain his ideals becomes crucial to the future of the world.

Like everything George R R Martin writes, the novel is smoothly engineered, peopled with richly sympathetic characters, deeply felt and boldly imagined. A powerful and satisfying read.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 03, 2011 8:15 pm

I chanced to pick up A Game of Thrones whilst in Waterstone's earlier today.

First fiction I've read since I finished Good Omens in Jan/Feb.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Mazille » Apr 03, 2011 8:47 pm

You won't regret it. :thumbup:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Fallible » Apr 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Amagad, I r getting so assited mah hed asplode. AGOT starts on teh tellybox NEXT WEEKEND!!! :eager: :happydance: :eager:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#120  Postby j.mills » Apr 09, 2011 9:48 pm

- Although, strictly speaking, the telly version is not AGOT, but only GOT. Indeed, I saw today in a shop the TV tie-in edition of the book, with Mr Bean* on the cover, and that too is simply titled Game Of Thrones. I guess TV types don't have time for indefinite articles. :dunno:

* Not that one.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books