George R R Martin

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: George R R Martin

#121  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 09, 2011 9:50 pm

That's the version I have. It really annoys me, but I absolutely hate the type of print in the other edition.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#123  Postby atrasicarius » Apr 21, 2011 9:50 pm

The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
Einstein

In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society.
The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 25, 2011 4:52 pm

So, I finished A Game of Thrones. On the plus side, it's awesome. On the negative side the sex scenes make me want to cauterise my retinas.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Wiðercora wrote:So, I finished A Game of Thrones. On the plus side, it's awesome. On the negative side the sex scenes make me want to cauterise my retinas.

:scratch:

In a good way, right?

BTW, there is a thread about the show here
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Dear lord no. Descriptions of semen running down a 14-year-old's legs? Not something I want in my novels.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#127  Postby j.mills » Apr 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Then don't put them in your novels. :dunno:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby MedGen » Apr 27, 2011 8:50 pm

I've just read the essays and speculations on who Jon's parents are, and I have to say if they're right about the last one then that would be fucking awesome, and it would explain a lot of things in the book. I'd also have to credit George RR Martin with coming up with one of the most epic, and subtly hinted at, storys for a character. I'm waiting with bated breath for the reveal now.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 27, 2011 9:55 pm

MedGen wrote:I've just read the essays and speculations on who Jon's parents are, and I have to say if they're right about the last one then that would be fucking awesome, and it would explain a lot of things in the book. I'd also have to credit George RR Martin with coming up with one of the most epic, and subtly hinted at, storys for a character. I'm waiting with bated breath for the reveal now.

Definitely, I remember not being able to lift my jaw for quite some time after I read about those things.

Wiðercora wrote:Dear lord no. Descriptions of semen running down a 14-year-old's legs? Not something I want in my novels.

Huh, I thought you were talking about the series, with all the graphic depiction of people having sex who, according to the novels, are fairly young...

Didn't bother me, though. The whole age-span of things is shifted a little to the younger end, as the novels are set in a sort-of medieval theme, where people just died early, and thus got married earlier, and all that. After all, a 16-year-old is a king in this novel, and thats quite young, if you ask me. I wasn't crowned the king of lizards until I was 22...
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#130  Postby The Plc » Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Decided to give this another go chaps, and whatever reason I'm enjoying it a lot more than my first attempt. Started on Wednesday afternoon, and now I'm on about pg 300 at the moment, so at this rate I should be finished by Saturday. Biology work be damned.

I forgot how pacy the plot was. A lot of fantasy writers take the misguided route of laboriousness in search of the 'Epic' (Robert Jordan), but Martin knows how to weave back-story, character development, intriguing but slow-burning storylines that are only merely hinted at... all without being dragged down as if moving through molasses. Which in fact, is a lot closer in style to Tolkien than those inspired by him.
The Plc

Print view this post

#131  Postby Mazille » Jun 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Just noticed that the audiobook version of ADWD will be read by the incredible Roy Dotrice again! :dance: :dance: :party:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#132  Postby j.mills » Jul 08, 2011 6:32 pm

July 12. I one-clicked madly. 1040 pages! Hilariously, the zero-manufacturing-costs kindle edition is cheaper by the princely sum of 49p! :roll:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Lizard_King » Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

I've got it!!!! The book just arrived via Amazon express delivery, and I can now spend the next 48 hours blissfully wrapped in the cruel dark fantasy world of Westeros. See you all in a while. :grin:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#134  Postby j.mills » Jul 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Tha'll do well to get through 1040 pages in 2 days, lad! Tek me 2 weeks at least! - But I expect you've stopped listening... :smile:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Lizard_King » Jul 14, 2011 9:39 am

Well, 48 hours might have been slightly exaggerated (although I maintain I could be done by now if I had spent every waking hour reading). Anyway, I decided to savor every second of it instead of finishing way too quickly and then be disappointed that it's already over (and yes, we're still talking about books ;) )

I'm halfway through the Dance now, and so far it's freaking amazing. About half the chapters are set in the north of Westeros, the other half is set in the east. There is definitely more action going on than in the Feast, and quite a few surprising turns of events.

One word of advice: Do not read the wikipedia article on the book. I did, a while ago, and it lists the POV characters that appear in the Dance, and that spoiled one big surprise for me. They might have changed it by now, but still I already knew that someone was not who he (or she) pretended to be.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Lizard_King » Jul 16, 2011 9:55 pm

It is done, I have danced with the dragons...

Holy Jesus motherfucking H. Christ, those were some intense five days I spent reading (four and a half, actually). Last night I dreamed that Tywin Lannister was at my front door, and he looked like my father... but let's not go into that.

Having just finished a book that I have been waiting for for some 5 years or so and not having all my wits about me right now, I would advise anyone to be skeptical of my words but still: that book was worth every day of waiting. I wont spoiler anything here (although there would be a hell of a lot of things to spoiler here, including some things that I refuse to believe just now), I just have to vent some of the awesomeness that seeped into my head from reading all day long.

As Martin says in his 'Note on Chronology' on one of the first pages, the Dance takes place at roughly the same time as the Feast, but continues the story after a certain point. That is to say, for about 60 or 70% of the book, we spend most of our time on the wall with Jon or in Meereen with Dany, while Brienne, Sam, Jaime and Cersei go about their business as described in the Feast. Then the Dance picks up their story lines and continues to weave a web of epicness. Also, towards the end of the book, some of the old POV characters from the Feast reappear to tell their stories a little further.

One thing that I didn't particularly like about the Feast was the fact that most chapters were just focused on the POV characters and their doings, with very little intersecting story lines, and hardly ever a meeting of two POV characters (I can't recall any). The Dance however follows the traditions of the older books, in that events are described from many points of views, and some important characters meet (or at least see each other).

As I mentioned before, there are a lot of outrageous things happening in this book, one a hinted at in my post above: Wikipedia gives you a list of all POV characters, and one of them you shouldn't recognize until the end of his (or her) first chapter. Apart from that, the last four chapters had me staring at the pages wide-eyed silently muttering 'what the fuck' over and over again. Well, Martin's books are known to finish with a bang (as Sean Bean would agree), but still...

So, in conclusion: everyone who has read and loved the first four volumes: you'll love this one, I promise you. Everyone else: get the fucking first books, start reading them, and rejoice in the cruel majestic world that is Westeros.

I should probably sleep...
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Mazille » Jul 16, 2011 10:39 pm

I'Ve had some trouble with Amazon (well, the delivery service they employed, actually) so I still don't have it after having pre-ordered it for three fucking years! FUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!
I'm of half a mind to just fucking pirate it, seriously.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#138  Postby j.mills » Jul 17, 2011 1:51 am

Fecking delivery services, eh? Virtually everybody has to go out to work these days, and still all the courier services only operate 9-5 and on weekdays! By now it should be trivially easy to specify evening or weekend delivery, and at no or nominal extra cost: after all, if by employing their drivers on staggered shifts the courier firms avoid having to make multiple delivery attempts, it's might even cost 'em less!

Anyway, that's why I got mine delivered to my workplace! Try that next time, bookblob! :smile:

PS. Slow reader here, not much past page 100. I like to relish a text. :grin:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Mazille » Jul 17, 2011 8:23 am

j.mills wrote:Fecking delivery services, eh? Virtually everybody has to go out to work these days, and still all the courier services only operate 9-5 and on weekdays! By now it should be trivially easy to specify evening or weekend delivery, and at no or nominal extra cost: after all, if by employing their drivers on staggered shifts the courier firms avoid having to make multiple delivery attempts, it's might even cost 'em less!

Anyway, that's why I got mine delivered to my workplace! Try that next time, bookblob! :smile:

I didn't have that work until two weeks ago. The problem was more that they couldn't find the address anyway. That is what their tracker service tells me in any case. Seems the courier literally couldn't find the house, which I find staggeringly daft, considering that it stands right next to the bloody street in plain view. :dunno:

j.mills wrote:PS. Slow reader here, not much past page 100. I like to relish a text. :grin:

How I wish I could relish that text. :(
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Lizard_King » Jul 17, 2011 8:36 am

Would you people please stop posting here and start reading that book? I desperately need someone to tell that what happened on page 913 is some elaborate ruse by Martin that didn't really happen, or if it did, it doesn't mean what I think it means.

BTW, blobfish, what delivery sevice did Amazon use in this case? Hermes? Heard a lot of bad things about them, but this time they were pretty quick with the book, had it on the 12th at noon.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books