George R R Martin

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

George R R Martin

#1  Postby Bolero » Jun 23, 2010 4:12 am

I must hereby issue an official apology to all Martin fans.

I took your advice and went back to the Song of Ice and Fire series, and started reading it again. The first time I read the first book, I wasn't impressed, and wrote him off.

I was wrong. It is an awesome series, and now I'm just annoyed that it's not finished yet!!

So sorry folks, and thanks for encouraging me to go back to it, and not abusing me (too much) for not liking it at first.
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: George R R Martin

#2  Postby Tim Hendrix » Jun 23, 2010 4:15 am

Jeez i'm looking forward to starting that series! I love the prospect of a huge series of unread novels stretching out in front of me.
Let's work as a team, and do it my way
Tim Hendrix

Name: Tim

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Bolero » Jun 23, 2010 4:53 am

I hear ya.
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hnau von Thulcandra » Jun 23, 2010 5:06 am

A Song of Ice and Fire is stupefyingly splendiforous, unlike the great bulk of post-Tolkien fantasy.
"I am an Anglo-Catholic in religion, a classicist in literature, and a royalist in politics".
Hnau von Thulcandra

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby keypad5 » Jun 23, 2010 5:15 am

I was hooked in the first chapter. My only regret is starting it while the series isn't complete. It would have been good to just read the whole thing through. *waits impatiently for the conclusion*

Then again... I've done the same thing with Steven Erikson's "Malazans" series... and Janny Wurts' "Wars of Light and Shadow".. oh, and Robert Jordan's thingo. :coffee:
keypad5

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Eric Aiello » Jun 23, 2010 11:53 am

I'm glad you've had a change of heart :-)

I've only read the first one so far. I'm taking my time through them so that by the time I finish the fourth... MAYBE the fifth will be released. Then, of course, I'd still have to wait for the 6th and 7th books. Eeek.
Eric Aiello

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby j.mills » Jun 23, 2010 6:36 pm

My work here is done. :grin:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Bolero » Jun 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Eric Aiello wrote:I'm glad you've had a change of heart :-)

I've only read the first one so far. I'm taking my time through them so that by the time I finish the fourth... MAYBE the fifth will be released. Then, of course, I'd still have to wait for the 6th and 7th books. Eeek.

6th and 7th?! Egad, don't tell me I've more waiting to do!!
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Kytescall » Jun 24, 2010 3:13 am

I bought the first book on j.mill's advice. Haven't started it yet. It would be unwise during an exam period!
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Eric Aiello » Jun 24, 2010 3:49 am

Kytescall wrote:I bought the first book on j.mill's advice. Haven't started it yet. It would be unwise during an exam period!

My goodness, is it ever unwise! I started that book in the last month of my college career. Big mistake. I didn't do anything school related for a week. Oops.

And yes, as far as I know, there are still sixth and seventh instalments coming out for this saga. Unless he decides to end it earlier, we may be waiting decades... meaning we might never see it finished.
Eric Aiello

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Tim Hendrix » Jun 24, 2010 3:53 am

hmmm... how old is this guy? Smoker? History of heart disease? Maybe we should club together and get him a health-check.... could be in our best interests.
Let's work as a team, and do it my way
Tim Hendrix

Name: Tim

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Bolero » Jun 24, 2010 4:55 am

On his website, the dude's not looking altogether a raging picture of health and wellbeing...
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby ilikepints » Jun 24, 2010 5:08 pm

I read the first one and will prob get back to it at some point.
ilikepints

Female

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Nostalgia » Jun 26, 2010 6:00 pm

I've still to get into this guy. But I've been meaning to for a while. Fantasy for grown-ups yes?

Where's a good place to start? Are all his books set in the same universe?

I've a feeling if you like Martin you'll like R Scott Bakker....similar vein. Check out my recommendation here, third post down.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#15  Postby j.mills » Jun 26, 2010 9:44 pm

His fantasy is one sequence, so "a good place to start" is the first one. :grin: A Game Of Thrones.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Nostalgia » Jun 27, 2010 10:42 am

Okay....now I feel silly. :oops:

I like the idea of that. And I've been into sci-fi for too long. Looks like it's time to get back into fantasy. :thumbup:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#17  Postby MedGen » Jun 27, 2010 10:51 am

I'm quite a fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series, I've now been waiting over 5 years for Dance of Dragons. If there are 6th and 7th installments then he'd best get his arse in gear and finish/publish them.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Don't click if you haven't read the entire series to date!
[rant]I do have to gripe about A Feast for Crows however, it was one of the most drawn-out, slow books I've read. Okay some of the revelations were interesting, but it didn't really make up for the rest of the book[/rant]

I'm also looking forward to the HBO series of the Game of Thrones, it could be interesting, if it makes it over to Blighty that is.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby atrasicarius » Jun 27, 2010 7:13 pm

MedGen wrote:I'm quite a fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series, I've now been waiting over 5 years for Dance of Dragons. If there are 6th and 7th installments then he'd best get his arse in gear and finish/publish them.

[rant]I do have to gripe about A Feast for Crows however, it was one of the most drawn-out, slow books I've read. Okay some of the revelations were interesting, but it didn't really make up for the rest of the book[/rant]

I'm also looking forward to the HBO series of the Game of Thrones, it could be interesting, if it makes it over to Blighty that is.

Agreed.
God, I hated how half the chapters followed whatserface the ugly chick, and then she just randomly died at the end after not accomplishing anything. Seriously Martin, what the fuck? Need more chapters with Jon and Arya.
The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
Einstein

In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society.
The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby MedGen » Jun 27, 2010 8:31 pm

atrasicarius wrote:
MedGen wrote:I'm quite a fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series, I've now been waiting over 5 years for Dance of Dragons. If there are 6th and 7th installments then he'd best get his arse in gear and finish/publish them.

Agreed.
God, I hated how half the chapters followed whatserface the ugly chick, and then she just randomly died at the end after not accomplishing anything. Seriously Martin, what the fuck? Need more chapters with Jon and Arya.

QFT

I know, there's an excerpt at the end of the book that explains, it, but FFS, its just bad writing!
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby LIFE » Jun 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Oh it's got dragons? LOTR sucks because it's got no dragons!
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Books