Han Kang's The Vegetarian wins Man Booker International Priz

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Han Kang's The Vegetarian wins Man Booker International Priz

#1  Postby DougC » May 17, 2016 12:00 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36303604

B.B.C. Article
The Vegetarian, a novel about a woman who "wants to reject human brutality" and gives up eating meat, has won the 2016 Man Booker International Prize.
The book was translated by Deborah Smith, who only started teaching herself Korean in 2010.
Judging panel chairman Boyd Tonkin said South Korean author Han Kang's work was "unforgettably powerful and original".
The writer and her British translator will split the award's £50,000 prize money.
The pair saw off competition from Turkish Nobel Laureate Orhan Pamuk, Italian writer Elena Ferrante, Angolan wordsmith Jose Eduardo Agualusa, Chinese author Yan Lianke and Austrian novelist Robert Seethaler to take the prize.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Han Kang's The Vegetarian wins Man Booker International Priz

#2  Postby Blip » May 22, 2016 9:01 am

I started reading this yesterday: it's a very disturbing work. There's a review here. I'd say, based on my reading so far, that it's also about the status and treatment of women.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Han Kang's The Vegetarian wins Man Booker International Priz

#3  Postby Blip » May 23, 2016 11:19 am

This is indeed very unsettling, complex and strange. I do recommend it, but be prepared to be discomfited by it.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to Books