My book what I wrote

Pale glint of the Sun

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: My book what I wrote

#101  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Evolving wrote:Now is as good a time as any to say that, though Blip is quite critical of Selena and doesn't seem to like her, there is a good deal of me in Selena. Most obviously her feelings for her child are copied and pasted from my own; there's the physics; and I too like pencil cases, and handbags, with lots of compartments. Among the differences is that I don't think I would get as angry as Selena does with Mike, and later with Craig; I would be calmer and more reasonable. Actually I think this is Selena being Italian, and Mike being English.

I actually identify with Selena as well. I felt exactly where she was coming from during her argument with Mike over that joke. I've never been a single mom, but I can definitely see how alone she must have felt. I've also been able to socialize with guys much better than with girls, even though I'm really a girly girl. I don't really know why, I just don't like talking about kids and shopping, and I don't really like the meanness that a lot of girls seem to have. I've just always felt like an outsider when a group of girls get together. So I could definitely identify with Selena.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Evolving » Apr 27, 2015 4:32 pm

At a complete tangent: is it at all offputting that the language is very British ("Mummy", "trousers", "coming on" for getting one's period etc)?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#103  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 27, 2015 5:00 pm

No, not at all.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#104  Postby laklak » Apr 27, 2015 6:42 pm

I like the Britishness, makes me feel warm and funny, like climbing thru rope in gym class.

I'm halfway through and thoroughly enjoying the read.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Steve » Apr 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Evolving wrote:At a complete tangent: is it at all offputting that the language is very British ("Mummy", "trousers", "coming on" for getting one's period etc)?

I was raised in New Zealand with British spelling and a Mum. But my daughter was raised in the US with a Mom. It was all Martian, to me...

As for how to proceed I would be talking to agents. I think this book proves your ability to write, but it is the story that sells. I seem to get into books on Amazon that are part of a series. The longest was by Michael Hicks, which was three or four trilogies, the last one a back story, and he is writing the last book of that trilogy as we speak. I have a feeling that is not a bad way to make a buck with an ebook. Get some followers and string the story along. Current book is part 2 of 4.

A print book, for me, is not just a bigger financial investment - I have to make a physical space for it, or get it from the library. And if a library is buying your books you shouldn't be talking to us.

So many people are willing to write for free. A lot of news I read is blogs written for free. It is an ugly time to be a writer.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Animavore » Apr 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Do me a favour, Ev; if you ever get it published put it into your contract that it shall not, under any circumstances, be Americanised.
If we can read their books unadulterated there's no reason they can't read ours and get out of their little bubble.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Evolving » Apr 27, 2015 8:51 pm

laklak wrote:I'm halfway through and thoroughly enjoying the read.

Is that where Selena and her best friend are giving each other manicures? I can see you enjoying that.

Steve wrote:As for how to proceed I would be talking to agents.

I think I probably will. I'll collate the feedback that I'm still awaiting, make any adjustments that appear necessary or advisable, and approach an agent or two. I'll tell them there's one buyer lined up already!

Animavore wrote:Do me a favour, Ev; if you ever get it published put it into your contract that it shall not, under any circumstances, be Americanised.

OK. :)
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Animavore » Apr 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Unless they offer you large sums, large enough to waive your principles :tehe:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Evolving » Apr 27, 2015 8:56 pm

That goes without saying.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Steve » Apr 27, 2015 10:52 pm

And by the way, the trilogies and stuff I read have atrocious editing. It grates, but these folks are just churning out stories. Not just words misspelled, but the spell checker used substitute homophones making me think they use voice recognition software and fail at correcting all the mistakes. Also words just missing, or extra, suggesting they changed the sentence but didn't do it properly so it is a mix.

I am not sure what this says about the future of the written word...
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2015 5:11 am

Wolfgang Holbein, one of the big German fantasy authors, churns put books at a silly pace. Now, when I was working at my uni as an assistant on a research project we actually were in talks to collaborate with him on something. There I learned that he can only "write " as many books because he uses voice recognition software to dictate it and then enter editor finishes the written version.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Mazille » May 10, 2015 10:50 pm

I started reading it today!

I've only finished about a fifth of the book, so far. I found your description of how posting on an internet forum from Mars would work to be really insightful somehow. Science and internet fora. Those things I understand.
I see a lot of you in Selena. Not that I'm saying that I know you well enough to read your thoughts like I read Selena's right now, but having shared a forum with you for a long time now, I kind of see where you're getting a lot of her. All in all, I like the character so far. The parenting aspect I only kind of get on a cerebral level, but everything else I resonate with. You're doing a good job of conveying her feelings, even on things I don't currently share. Science and parenting. One of those things I understand.
Still, I'm a fifth of the way in and I was promised sexytimes. So far, nothing. I'm going to hold you to that promise, Ev. Science and sex. Well... those things I like.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Steve » May 10, 2015 11:08 pm

..sexytimes are not disappointing!
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Evolving » May 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Glad to hear it, Steve! and I hope you think so too, Maz. Though I wasn't expecting those passages to appeal particularly to male readers. :)
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#115  Postby scott1328 » May 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Animavore wrote:Do me a favour, Ev; if you ever get it published put it into your contract that it shall not, under any circumstances, be Americanised.
If we can read their books unadulterated there's no reason they can't read ours and get out of their little bubble.

What do you mean, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone was a perfectly fine British Novel for young people that was well beloved by Americans?

:evilgrin:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#116  Postby hackenslash » May 14, 2015 8:39 am

I'm about halfway through, and enjoying it when I have leisure to actually read it. Will post a review when I've finished it.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#117  Postby Evolving » May 14, 2015 4:50 pm

That will be greatly appreciated!

:thumbup:
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Mazille » May 26, 2015 10:08 am

I completely forgot to check back here. I finished it last week and, although "Jane Austen on Mars" wouldn't be a descriptor that would usually get me to pick up a book, I did enjoy it a lot.
Firstly you can write, Ev, and that's half the battle, so good on you for that. :cheers:
Secondly, I don't think you were being too subtle with Beate. I mean, I picked up on it after a while, so it should theoretically be possible for your average fence post to do that as well. Although I do have to add that until I picked up on it, I actually suspected Beate of having sinister motives behind her understanding façade and secretly banging Mike. Don't ask me why. :dunno: Maybe that says more about me and my immediate suspicion about genuine niceness - at least in fictional characters - than about your characters, though.
Thirdly, and I'm with Blip on this one, I don't like Selena much. I mean, she has her endearing qualities, but in the end she just kind of seems like an insecure, self-centered, silly goose. I guess I'll have to modify my earlier statement about seeing some of you in her, by stating that it's mainly the non-shitty parts of her I meant.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#119  Postby NamelessFaceless » May 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Mazille wrote: Although I do have to add that until I picked up on it, I actually suspected Beate of having sinister motives behind her understanding façade and secretly banging Mike. Don't ask me why. :dunno: Maybe that says more about me and my immediate suspicion about genuine niceness - at least in fictional characters - than about your characters, though.

:lol: I actually thought that for a while too!
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Evolving » May 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Mazille wrote:she just kind of seems like an insecure, self-centered, silly goose.

Harsh.

Mazille wrote: it's mainly the non-shitty parts of her I meant.

Only mainly? :lol:

Well, I can be a silly goose too, at times.

Glad you enjoyed it, anyway (I see you have nothing to say about the sex...)
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books