RIP Terry Pratchett

Diskworld author dies age 66

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: RIP Terry Pratchett

#21  Postby fluttermoth » Mar 12, 2015 6:39 pm

R.I.P Sir Pratchett :(

Like many others, I discovered his work as a teenager, and have loved and read (and reread!) all his books many times since. He will be very, very sadly missed :(

Weaver wrote:I am very saddened by this news.

Like many others, I've read his works almost obsessively - most of them many times over. One of the things I enjoyed most is constantly finding new historical references or new puns - things I didn't realize were there, but which arise with multiple readings and new learning. It makes his works seem fresh and new despite reading them over and over - something I do with many authors, but with whom I don't find the same level of "Aha!" found moments.

What a great, intelligent and insightful man he was.

Yes! Totally agree! The better your general knowledge, the more you find in his work. It's an amazing thing to reread an older book and have it seem so different than it was the first time (or the fifth time, or whatever). Marvellous talent.
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby BlackBart » Mar 12, 2015 6:50 pm

I've only read The Colour of Magic and The Long Earth. The Colour Of Magic wasn't really my bag, but it was incredibly well written. Here's to a very imaginative and talented chap. :cheers:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby hackenslash » Mar 12, 2015 7:04 pm

BlackBart wrote:I've only read The Colour of Magic and The Long Earth. The Colour Of Magic wasn't really my bag,

That's a bit of a shame, because that and the book that follows it were really only laying the groundwork for what followed.

Pratchett is the only fiction I've read since about 1995.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Varangian » Mar 12, 2015 8:08 pm

My ex texted me about this. Even if I knew he was ill, it was still unexpected. Like Thommo, the first books I read were Strata and The Dark Side of the Sun. My copy of The Colour of Magic was printed in 1985, so Pratchett has been part of my reading life for about 30 years. I only met him once (in 1991, IIRC), and in one of my bookcases is a signed copy of Strata with "All the best" together with his signature. Thank you, Terry - you certainly helped making my life and the lives of countless others a bit better. :cheers:

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Thommo » Mar 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Also, anyone who has never read Good Omens, should. Great book poking gentle fun at religious dogma.
Thommo

Print view this post

#26  Postby hackenslash » Mar 12, 2015 8:26 pm

Indeed. One of my all-time favourite books. Think The Omen with whimsy. :)
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 12, 2015 8:35 pm

That is very sad news. :( :( :(
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 12, 2015 9:35 pm

I have never read Terry Pratchett and I probably never will either because I like my fiction to be dark and heavy so humour is not my thing unless it is either dry or black. I knew him better as a member of Dignity In Dying which is campaigning to allow assisted suicide to become legal here in England and Wales. I am a member of this organisation because I believe that people should have the freedom to determine how and when they choose to die without worrying about loved ones being prosecuted for aiding or abetting them. Mercifully it has never happened but it is legal loophole that needs to be filled. In doing so it will bring peace of mind to many knowing that those assisting them shall not be prosecuted for it. But anyway Rest In Peace Terry

hackenslash : what is it about his work which makes him the only author of fiction you read ? Have you never been compelled to try any others in the same genre ? Is that the reason why you generally avoid fiction since there is still so much non fiction for you to read ? Is that why you read up to five books at a time ? Do you not find it difficult to process information like that ?
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#29  Postby Anontheist » Mar 12, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't cry for much, but I bawled my eyes out when I woke up this morning and found that the Roundworld will have to do without the creator of the Discworld.
My project for the rest of the year will be to read everything he wrote - Diggers, Truckers, Discworld and all the collaborations.

Time to dig out The Colour of Magic and feel like a 15 year old again.

From his coat of arms: Noli Timere Messorem (Don't fear the reaper)
Anontheist

Name: Simon

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#30  Postby hackenslash » Mar 12, 2015 9:58 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:what is it about his work which makes him the only author of fiction you read ?

I just can't countenance there being a Discworld book and my not having read it.

Have you never been compelled to try any others in the same genre ?

Prior to 95, I read all sorts, including crime fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, classics, you name it.

Is that the reason why you generally avoid fiction since there is still so much non fiction for you to read ?

Pretty much, yes. I never maintained a reading list when I read fiction beyond the vague idea that there were some books I thought I'd enjoy. Once I seriously started reading non-fiction books began piling up as I flitted from one thing to the next (not all science, either, as I covered a lot of history as well). Since 95 I've just worked my way through the reading list, though it always seems to grow quicker than I can prune it.

Is that why you read up to five books at a time ?

That's just me being flittish.

Do you not find it difficult to process information like that ?

Not really, not least because it's not often they overlap. It's a rare thing that I'll be reading multiple books on physics, for example. At the moment, though, I am reading several books on a single topic, because I have quite a lot of catching up to do, so I'm reading two books on maths.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby scott1328 » Mar 13, 2015 1:57 am

Thommo wrote:Also, anyone who has never read Good Omens, should. Great book poking gentle fun at religious dogma.

And now there will never be the sequel 668: The Neighbor of the Beast
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Mar 13, 2015 2:28 am

Oh this fucking sucks. I knew it had to be coming sooner or later but I had hoped it would be much later. Roundworld is just a little bit more round now.

See you Terry, you will be missed by many. Hopefully Susan and Death were there waiting for you at the end.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Aca » Mar 13, 2015 12:21 pm

RIP :(

This is a fitting attempt to bring him back

Thousands Sign Petition Asking Death To 'Bring Back' Author Terry Pratchett

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/1 ... 61106.html
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#34  Postby hackenslash » Mar 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Signed.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby electricwhiteboy » Mar 13, 2015 12:33 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Thommo wrote:Also, anyone who has never read Good Omens, should. Great book poking gentle fun at religious dogma.

And now there will never be the sequel 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

I think that was pretty much a given anyway, both Terry and Neil said publically on a few occasions it was unlikely to ever appear as the work commitments the two of them had meant that both finding a break at the same time to collaborate was unlikely.

On the subject of Neil, death seems to have collected two of my favourite authors early in the last two years (Banks being the other). So I want to say now, I think Gaiman is a hack and I really, really like Dan Brown. :whistle:
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#36  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Mar 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Signed.

But if he is walking Death's garden or helping with the wheat harvest it might be far better to leave him there. At least there he can remember he created something beautiful.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#37  Postby scott1328 » Mar 13, 2015 12:39 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote: So I want to say now, I think Gaiman is a hack and I really, really like Dan Brown. :whistle:

Stone the heretic :mob:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby chairman bill » Mar 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Bugrit. Millennium Hand and Shrimp. After several near-Pratchett experiences, Death has finally turned the tables.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby hackenslash » Mar 13, 2015 12:59 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:But if he is walking Death's garden or helping with the wheat harvest it might be far better to leave him there.

Nah, he'll be mucking out Binky's stable.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 13, 2015 3:34 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
On the subject of Neil, death seems to have collected two of my favourite authors early in the last two years (Banks being the other). So I want to say now, I think Gaiman is a hack and I really, really like Dan Brown. :whistle:

I'll support this. :lol:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books