RIP Terry Pratchett

Diskworld author dies age 66

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: RIP Terry Pratchett

#41  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Mar 13, 2015 3:38 pm

hackenslash wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:But if he is walking Death's garden or helping with the wheat harvest it might be far better to leave him there.

Nah, he'll be mucking out Binky's stable.

Or he is walking across the endless desert surrounded by those who loved his books.

Really we should have sent that petition to Granny Weatherwax, she knows how to keep Death in line...and would have broken his arm.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)

Birthday
Print view this post

#42  Postby epepke » Mar 13, 2015 5:43 pm

BlackBart wrote:I've only read The Colour of Magic and The Long Earth. The Colour Of Magic wasn't really my bag, but it was incredibly well written. Here's to a very imaginative and talented chap. :cheers:

His writing only improved over the years. The Colour of Magic seems to me, in retrospect, much like a juvenile.

If there is any Pratchett book that is essential reading, especially for members of this forum, it's Small Gods. It's also accessible on its own, without knowing any other Pratchett stuff.

Here's a brief excerpt:

It has to be said...there was little to laugh at in the cellars of the Quisition. Not if you had a normal sense of humor. There were no jolly little signs saying: You Don't Have To Be Pitilessly Sadistic To Work Here But It Helps!!!

But there were things to suggest to a thinking man that the Creator of mankind had a very oblique sense of fun indeed, and to breed in his heart a rage to storm the gates of heaven.

The mugs, for example. The inquisitors stopped work twice a day for coffee. their mugs, which each man had brought from home, were grouped around the kettle on the hearth of the central furnace which incidentally heated the irons and knives.

They had legends on them like A Present From the Holy Grotto of Ossory, or To the World's Greatest Daddy. Most of them were chipped, and no two of them were the same.

And there were postcards on the wall. It was traditional that, when an inquisitor went on holiday, he'd send back a crudely colored woodcut of the local view with some suitably jolly and risqué message on the back. And there was the pinned-up tearful letter from Inquisitor FirstClass Ishmale "Pop" Quoom, thanking all the lads for collecting no fewer than seventy-eight obols for his retirement present and the lovely bunch of flowers for Mrs. Quoom, indicating that he'd always remember his day in No. 3 pit, and was looking forward to coming in and helping out any time they were shorthanded.

And it all meant this: that there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into work every day and has a job to do.

Vorbis loved knowing that. A man who knew that, knew everything he needed to know about people.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 13, 2015 9:32 pm

This is probably an appropriate tribute, courtesy of one of the many DeviantArt Pratchett fans ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

#44  Postby chairman bill » Mar 13, 2015 9:36 pm

Death is saying: WELCOME, TERRY
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 13, 2015 9:50 pm

You even found the right font!!!!!
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

#46  Postby redwhine » Mar 14, 2015 8:54 am

Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 14, 2015 10:07 am

epepke wrote:
If there is any Pratchett book that is essential reading, especially for members of this forum, it's Small Gods. It's also accessible on its own, without knowing any other Pratchett stuff.

Agreed. Small Gods for religion, Interesting Times for revolutionary politics. :mrgreen:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#48  Postby hackenslash » Mar 14, 2015 10:09 am

Not to mention Men at Arms for the gun nuts...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Nicko » Mar 14, 2015 11:33 am

Apparently The Shepherd's Crown, the fifth Tiffany Aching novel was finished and will be published posthumously later this year. My daughter loves that series. I personally prefer the Sam Vimes books, but also really liked the Moist von Lipwig ones. Oh, and the Witches ones of course. And the ones with Susan Sto Lat. And ...

Buggrit, they're all brilliant.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby trubble76 » Mar 14, 2015 4:20 pm

I didn't entirely manage to successfully prevent myself from crying a little bit reading Gaiman's tribute.

I think one of Terry's especial talents was to show how the mundane could be found at the heart of the ostentatious things in life, and simultaneously how the awe-inspiring could be found at the heart of the mundane. When he described things, they were never simple or straight-forward, they were always layered and nuanced. The world he described was never just good or bad, it was everything, all at once.

I might not entirely manage to successfully prevent myself from crying a little bit again.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby epepke » Mar 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Nicko wrote:Buggrit, they're all brilliant.

Millennium hand and shrimp.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby hackenslash » Mar 14, 2015 8:02 pm

epepke wrote:
Nicko wrote:Buggrit, they're all brilliant.

Millennium hand and shrimp.

Inexpensive, too. Practically cuttin' me own froat! I'll frow in a rat. On a stick, mind!
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 15, 2015 10:22 am

I met the bloke once. Having been a long-time fan of his writing, he acted like an utter fucknoodle in the ten seconds or so that we interacted, and I was disappointed. But then I thought, and figured that I've almost certainly been as much of a cockwaddle at any given point of my life, and happily went back to reading and rereading his works.

The world is better for Terry having existed, and it is sad that he no longer does.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Books