What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#4241  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 12, 2018 7:47 am

Cities In Flight : James Blish

Four chronological but rather loosely connected novellas about floating cities in space
Not very dynamic but still passable science fiction and so definitely will finish this one
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4242  Postby Fallible » Jul 12, 2018 7:49 am

Fallible wrote:Where does it say it's YA?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4243  Postby Fallible » Jul 12, 2018 7:58 am

surreptitious57 wrote:I have read one Mieville and that was The City And The City which was very a powerful imaginative piece
But steampunk is unfortunately not a favourite genre of mine so I dont know if I will be reading him again

I think that genres are necessary in order to guide one in their reading material of choice
And every writer is put into a category including those who dont want to be put into one

Ultimately there are only two categories : good writing and bad writing and all else is irrelevant to this
You can find truly phenomenal writers in any genre and just as equally absolutely awful ones as well
The knack is to be able to separate the two and this can only come with actually reading their books

I will give Jemisin a go and try and read her with an open mind
However I am wary of reading YA because it is aimed at a younger audience so it will
not address adult themes with the same degree of authenticity as it otherwise would

Well, there you are. This is one reason, apart from the fact that I can't find her books categorised as YA anywhere, certainly not on Amazon where I got it, that I ask who says it's YA. Not to spoil too much I hope, but the first book especially is full of fucking, and allusions to fucking. The core relationship is a three-way, and the book includes a fairly keen description of how it all works sexually. Plus the infanticide, the filicide and the overall darkness.

The most famous YA writer is of course JK Rowling with Harry Potter but I never have and never will read any of them as they do absolutely nothing for me. I know that many adults do read them but if what I am reading is not entirely realistic I simply switch off. Wishy washy fiction does not do it for me my mind automatically rejects it as it is essentially hardwired to do so

I recently tried reading Revenger by Alastair Reynolds my favourite author. But I had to stop very early on because
it was a book for children and as such lacked his usual attention to detail wrt dark plots and dark characterisation

I think it is great that writers are aiming for the younger market but it is not a market I am a member of so I accept this
and focus instead on the market for me namely serious fiction [ which is usually although not exclusively science fiction ]

I am similarly averse normally, however this trilogy is dark enough for me to remain interested. This ain't YA, but the way she writes suggests an inclination in that direction. It grates, but it's not enough to stop me reading.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4244  Postby Fallible » Jul 12, 2018 8:02 am

Also The Catcher in the Rye junk? Many lols.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4245  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am

Now I am confused. Macdoc says it is YA which to me means safe fiction which does not cross certain lines but you say
fucking and infanticide and filicide which is most definitely line crossing. If it is that dark then I will read it but those
themes are adult themes that are not appropriate for younger eyes so invalidate the YA label or is this over simplistic
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4246  Postby Fallible » Jul 12, 2018 8:27 am

There's a certain amount of cross-over. There's death in Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. However I deliberately check before I buy anything that I'm not entirely sure about to determine that it's not YA, and that's also what I did this time. I've had a look around the net as well just quickly, and I still can't find anyone but Macdoc classifying it as YA.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4247  Postby UncertainSloth » Jul 12, 2018 8:35 am

just as an aside, canticle for liebowitz is awesome....i hold it alongside earth abides and alas babylon

and guy gavriel kay is, indeed, excellent but is very much fantasy in my experience, surr...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4248  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 12, 2018 8:45 am

I have looked at both Amazon and Wikipedia and have found no mention whatsoever of YA
I think definitions can sometimes be open to interpretation if terms are not clearly defined
I read on her blog that she absolutely does not want her books put in the African American section
I totally agree with that because she is a fantasy / science fiction writer rather than a black writer
Putting her in the African American section would reduce her audience and affect possible earnings
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4249  Postby Fallible » Jul 12, 2018 8:51 am

It would seem totally bizarre to me to do that. OK there are themes in the book which would qualify as a treatment of race and oppression, but then I'm sure many white writers have covered such themes. Keep her out of that section, yes.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4250  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 13, 2018 12:45 pm

I have just bought The Fifth Season and so hopefully I will not be disappointed
I would also have bought Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson had I the money
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4251  Postby UncertainSloth » Jul 13, 2018 7:57 pm

read some dan simmons when i was much younger - the hyperion books - but never given him much thought since...first came across this because of the tv series which, due to twattishness, we don't get to watch yet...the fallible creature bought me this for my birthday and it's one of the best books i've read (so far) for a long, long time...atmospheric, detailed, well-researched (i have no previous interest in naval history etc but this has really engaged me), suspenseful and gripping....can only hope it keeps this up...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4252  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 14, 2018 3:50 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
I have just bought The Fifth Season and so hopefully I will not be disappointed

97 pages in and so far very good which was not what I was expecting at all. For there is very little fantasy and what little
there is is totally convincing which is fine with me. The worst crime in science fiction or fantasy apart from boredom are
scenes entirely lacking in realism. Hence why I usually avoid the latter with extreme prejudice [ science fiction generally
is more realistic ] Fall convinced me to get it and I am glad that she did
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4253  Postby felltoearth » Jul 14, 2018 3:59 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:just as an aside, canticle for liebowitz is awesome....

Absolute classic, and the book club liked it too when it was my offering.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4254  Postby Macdoc » Jul 20, 2018 11:13 am

Remarkable .... if you wrote his exploits as a kids fictional book of derring do no one would be believe it ..but it's all true.
At 19, the son of French aristocracy... he escaped to England and trained as a saboteur....the rest is unreal history.

Not a lot of books covering the role of France in WWII I've come across..this is a look at that period of and a truly astounding "adventure".
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4255  Postby laklak » Jul 20, 2018 2:00 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:read some dan simmons when i was much younger - the hyperion books - but never given him much thought since...first came across this because of the tv series which, due to twattishness, we don't get to watch yet...the fallible creature bought me this for my birthday and it's one of the best books i've read (so far) for a long, long time...atmospheric, detailed, well-researched (i have no previous interest in naval history etc but this has really engaged me), suspenseful and gripping....can only hope it keeps this up...

It's superb, Simmons can really write. I've read Hyperion twice and am considering a third go, it's good enough for multiple reads. Have you read Olympos? It's a two book series about sentient AIs living in the asteroid belt, Greek Gods reenacting the Trojan War on Mars, and it finally answers the question "do transporters kill you and create a clone who thinks it's you?" Good read. I've read a couple of his more mainstream horror books, and while good they're not up to the standard of Hyperion, Olympos, or The Terror.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4256  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Never finished Hyperion so I do not rate it even though it is supposed to be a classic. Carrion Comfort however
was a truly great novel and almost certainly the best thing he has ever written. And I might check out Olympos
because I like that type of hard science fiction when it is well written
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4257  Postby Macdoc » Jul 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Hyperion can be a tough go but is certainly a classic.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4258  Postby UncertainSloth » Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm

aye, the hyperion ones were good but decades since i've read them...no real interest in sci-fi these days beyond classics and post-apocalyptic novels

just finished all 900-odd pages of the terror and it was all kinds of aces...i have no interest at all in naval or seafaring fiction but this included it alongside so many things that tick my boxes....a brill read
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4259  Postby Macdoc » Jul 21, 2018 5:21 am

I like just about all non-fiction tales of derring-do ....some fiction like Captain and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian are a marvelous way to learn about history and European politics while enjoying a rollicking good tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

The relationship between the Captain and his surgeon is one the most fully realized pair of characters I"ve ever encountered.

The Aubrey–Maturin series is a sequence of nautical historical novels—20 completed and one unfinished—by Patrick O'Brian, set during the Napoleonic Wars and centering on the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey of the Royal Navy and his ship's surgeon Stephen Maturin, a physician, natural philosopher, and intelligence agent.

His use of the vernacular in the novels had me thinking in English of the period.

Period language and naval jargon[edit]
Patrick O'Brian once wrote "Obviously, I have lived very much out of the world: I know little of present-day Dublin or London or Paris, even less of post-modernity, post-structuralism, hard rock or rap, and I cannot write with much conviction about the contemporary scene."[13] This becomes obvious for readers of the Aubrey-Maturin Series, as he adopts a narrative voice contemporary with their setting.[10] Richard Ollard, in examining the general reception to O'Brian's books, suggests that O'Brian's naval officers would be able to talk with and recognise Jane Austen's characters.[8]
In addition to the period language, O'Brian is adept at using naval jargon with little or no translation for the "lubberly" reader. The combination of the historical-voice narration and naval terms may seem daunting at first to some readers; but most note that after a short while a "total immersion" effect results.[14] Occasionally, O'Brian explains obscure nautical terms by placing Stephen Maturin into the tutelage of seamen, allowing the author to vicariously teach the reader about various parts and functions of a period sailing vessel without breaking from the narrative. This was especially common early in the series, when Maturin was still new to the Royal Navy.[8]
In the first of the series, during a tour of the rigging, Maturin askes his tourguide if he "could not explain this maze of ropes and wood and canvas without using sea-terms" and the reply came "No, for it is by those names alone that they are known, in nearly every case" [15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

O'Brian clearly knew the period like no other author I've read ...tho C. S. Forester is gripping as well.
Highly recommended..

Many of the topics the two covered can easily slide into the narrative the world is undergoing just now.. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4260  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 22, 2018 8:18 am

Going on a book buying binge very soon so if I manage to get all these I will be very happy indeed

Richard Kaczynski : Perdurabo The Life Of Aleister Crowley

Douglas Hofstader : Godel Escher Bach

Germaine Greer : The Female Eunuch

Malcolm Bradbury : The History Man

Thomas Pynchon : Gravitys Rainbow

Vernon Vinge : Deepness In The Sky

Neal Stephenson : Cryptonomicon

Nancy Kress : Beggars In Spain

Greg Egan : Incandescense
surreptitious57

Print view this post