What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#4421  Postby Macdoc » Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am

Pretty wild ...good hard SF - three in the series ...new author for me :popcorn:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4422  Postby crazyfitter » Sep 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Good call Macdoc. I’m reading the nice long intro on my phone from google books whenever I get a few minutes during the day. Can’t lug Paul Scott round with me :)
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4423  Postby Macdoc » Sep 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Only actual paper book I've bought is for partner who prefers them as easier on her eyes.

several hundred on digital and 320 Audible books!!! :what: ...damn ....that's like $5k in audio books ...yikes.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4424  Postby crazyfitter » Sep 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Yes I’ve found paper books to be a pain but I’ve read some half decent ones from BOGOF in supermarkets. I often wonder how some books can be so cheap. I’ve just unloaded two boxes of them to an Air Ambulance charity shop near me. Having a bit of a clear out. I do regret though that some of my kindle books are not in hardback, like William Dalrymples for example. I find it much easier to reference real paper than flick through my kindle. I have 220 books in my kindle and 2000 on my laptop. A colleague at work gave me the 2000 and I’ve read so few of them. Found it wearisome ploughing through the authors names, picking one at random looking at the titles then researching reviews. Bloody hell don’t I sound ungrateful !

I’m going to buy myself Dalrymples Anarchy for Xmas, the storey of the East India Company. It would just seem to be a sin to buy the kindle version. Mmmm, might hint at it for a Xmas prezzy.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4425  Postby Fallible » Sep 14, 2019 8:17 pm

I’m scared to think about how many books we’ve got. Over 300 on the Kindle, but must have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of actual books.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4426  Postby Macdoc » Sep 14, 2019 8:49 pm

I've been slowly giving my paper books away ...Aus partner has lots too and no way I'm trucking mine to Australia ...maybe keep a few of nicer coffee table and travel books.....or not. At least I have complete list of the books so friends can pick and choose. About 350 left .... :whine:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4427  Postby The_Piper » Sep 15, 2019 1:18 am

hmm, I'm reading a website forum called Rationalskepticism. :tehe: I said ism. As far as publications go, I just finished a 1966 local high school yearbook. It's always fun to read those. Nothing too familiar in that one, but in the 1974 one, the local septic truck guy wished the class of 1974 luck. He's been at that job a long time. :shock: :yuk: :lol: :lol: Nice guy, tough job. Don't shake his hand when he's through.
As far as books, I've begun reading an autobiography from baseball man and famous philosopher, Yoginald Berra. It aint over til it's over.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4428  Postby crazyfitter » Sep 21, 2019 7:18 pm

390A15ED-9D3F-41CB-AAE8-4A752180FE7C.jpeg
390A15ED-9D3F-41CB-AAE8-4A752180FE7C.jpeg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 404 times

Just taken delivery of The Anarchy by Dalrymple, my favourite historian. It’s hardback and a signed first edition. I’ll look after it and maybe in two hundred years it’ll make me rich :whistle:

I’m having a bit of an Indian summer though after I’ve finished The Jewel in the Crown I intend to read Spin before starting on this.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4429  Postby Fallible » Sep 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Ooh, nice thing to have!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4430  Postby Macdoc » Sep 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Decided to forgo the sequels on Spin as it was originally intended as a stand alone and the author was reluctant to turn it into a trilogy but was pushed by the publisher.
Seems the author was correct - the reception for the sequels was just "okay" and he has refused to write trilogies since.
Since there is little connection to Spin I'll pass for now. Spin ranks right up there in the wild imagination pantheon...and the author can write characters too.....nice mix. Heinlein had that knack.

He has another nominee tho which looks intriguing

Image :popcorn:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4431  Postby crazyfitter » Sep 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Fallible wrote:Ooh, nice thing to have!

Yes and the type of book anyway which a kindle just doesn’t do justice to. I’d intended buying it at Xmas but when Waterstones advertised them at a fiver off and signed I just couldn’t resist. I have two more of Dalrymples books and I deeply regret that they are on my kindle.

Reading The Jewel in the Crown. I’m starting to labour it. The rape is a vehicle for examining Anglo-Indian relationships and attitudes in 1942 against a background of WW2, the Japanese conquest of Burma and the activities of the Congress Party. I’m getting the idea that the Congress Party, and Gandhi, had a share of the blame for communal violence as it was setting itself up as a Hindu national party. India has a long history of peaceful coexistence between the two main religions and I’ve read stuff from Dalrymple before that suggests this. This is broadbrush stroking though. The Brits always preferred Muslims for professional positions as well.

Anyway I’m three quarters of the way through and really looking forward to Spin.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4432  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2019 8:48 pm

Spin will be in the top list ....wowser.

I did not do the sequels tho I'm reading Darwinia with mild interest
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4433  Postby crazyfitter » Oct 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Nearly halfway through Spin and loving it. It reads well and I just can’t figure out what it’s all about. It’s one of those where I want to get to the end to understand what’s been happening but sad I’m halfway through already.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4434  Postby don't get me started » Oct 02, 2019 11:14 pm

crazyfitter wrote:Nearly halfway through Spin and loving it. It reads well and I just can’t figure out what it’s all about. It’s one of those where I want to get to the end to understand what’s been happening but sad I’m halfway through already.

I just ordered it. I've been looking for a good SF novel for a while; one needs a bit of a break between re-reads of the classics.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#4435  Postby crazyfitter » Oct 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Just finished Spin. Thoroughly enjoyable. Once upon a time I wouldn’t have believed there were religious nutters as some are depicted here and it would probably have spoilt it for me. Now however they just seem so feasible.

Just diving into The Anarchy by Dalrymple.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4436  Postby Macdoc » Oct 11, 2019 11:05 am

Came across this author

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/aut ... teele.html

New to me...just dipping toe in the water ..... :popcorn:

Reminds me a bit of Wool
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4437  Postby Macdoc » Oct 14, 2019 3:56 am

So far it's enjoyable...definitely space opera but innovative world building.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4438  Postby Svartalf » Oct 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Space Angel an old thing by John Maddox Roberts, 70's soft SF/Space Opera, light reading and entertaining.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4439  Postby crazyfitter » Oct 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Three quarters through Dalrymples The Anarchy. I don’t think ‘enjoying it’ would be the right thing to say considering the blood that’s shed so callously not only by the East India Company but by a whole raft of local Kings and their extended families trying to carve out or just maintain their little kingdoms. Anyway to lighten my mood as I wade knee deep in blood from chapter to chapter I’m also doing a reread of Douglas Adam’s Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency which I prefer to the Hitchhikers Guide books. I always preferred the radio versions which they were written for.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4440  Postby Macdoc » Oct 18, 2019 9:31 pm

Coyote improving as it goes
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books