What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#4441  Postby Fallible » Oct 19, 2019 11:42 am

:roll:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4442  Postby Svartalf » Oct 19, 2019 11:47 am

well, after that easy novel, my ability to concentrate lags again, so I'm reading a lot of comics, making a retrospective of Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4443  Postby Fallible » Oct 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Reading the newest Stephen King, The Institute. A classic doorstop of a King book, involving kids in trouble and trying to fix it themselves. There are two storylines at present, which I’m sure will converge soon. After Sleeping Beauties, which I found a bit sloppy and not all that engaging, this is more tightly written and enjoyable.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4444  Postby Macdoc » Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Fallible trolled

:nono: never fucking learn do you? :coffee:

•••

On the third novel of the Coyote trilogy ...he handles time dilation well and not afraid to kill off leading characters. :popcorn:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4445  Postby Fallible » Oct 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Macdoc wrote:Fallible trolled

:nono: never fucking learn do you? :coffee:

He says, deliberately bypassing my on-topic post so he can continue his story that I don’t contribute anything. Who do you think cares about a one line, empty proclamation from you? It’s perfectly valid to find that to be eye-roll material. Learn? Fuck off and take your condescension with you.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4446  Postby Svartalf » Oct 19, 2019 5:07 pm

I stopped reading King stuff a decade or two ago, that guy simply disappointed me beyond the point of me wanting to see if he has at last learned how to finish and wrap up a book. Kinda a shame, because he excels at starting them and drawing the reader in.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4447  Postby Fallible » Oct 19, 2019 8:58 pm

The book endings are a lot better than the film and TV endings.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4448  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 22, 2019 2:37 pm

I see from the book challenge thread that several of us have recently finished The Testaments.

What did you guys think? I loved it as a sequel - I couldn't put it down. But . . . but . . . the ending was so satisfying and neatly tied up it almost felt like fan fiction. But I still really loved it. And what's the deal with the free key ring?
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4449  Postby aban57 » Oct 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Currently reading Concise Introduction To Logic by Patrick Hurley. Pretty interesting and easily readable. Cost me almost 100 euros though...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4450  Postby Fallible » Oct 22, 2019 6:46 pm

I haven’t read it yet. I have it, but I wanted to read The Handmaid’s Tale again first, and then I don’t like reading two books by the same author in a row, so I’m reading something else in between.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4451  Postby crazyfitter » Oct 23, 2019 9:59 pm

Just finished The Anarchy, the story of the East India Company. What an eye opener it’s been, not just the violence and plotting of the EIC but also of the local Kings and Princes. As the EIC started throwing its weight around it lost a few battles and had to do some apologising and cough up compensation. As they got better with the military tactics so did the locals as they were provided with men, officers, munitions and training by the French.
Cornwallis, who had just been chucked out of Yorktown by the new ‘Americans’ was sent to India to make sure it wouldn’t happen again. One of the first things he did was remove something like 11000 Anglo-Indians from their jobs and only allowed them menial work. He was well aware that it wasn’t the locals that had defeated the Brits in America but the descendants of the first colonists.
Want to move a highly trained army of 10000 men in early 19C India? Add attendants,assistants and support staff and you now have 100000 men. Officers would each have 4 servants, a complete set of camping gear, umpteen bottles of wine and brandy, a full set of linens (24 suits) a cage with his own hens and a goat. Following up all this were thousands of elephants,camels,horses,poultry, goats and sheep. They made about 5 miles a day for 3weeks in the pouring monsoon rains knee deep in mud. I wouldn’t want to do that in peacetime.
Dalrymple visited all the sites of battles and treaty signings etc and was amazed that offices and guards at these locations didn’t know anything about the history of the place. Dalrymple had relatives serving in the EIC including one who died in the so called black hole of Calcutta.
I found it very useful to have google maps open as I read the book to get a better idea of what was going on.
Powys castle, in Wales,the home of Clive (of India) has more looted Indian treasure than any single place in India.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4452  Postby crazyfitter » Nov 11, 2019 10:12 am

The Anarchy is R4s book of the week, I’ve just listened to the first episode,9.45, read by Alistair MacGowen, really excellent.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4453  Postby Macdoc » Nov 12, 2019 2:09 am

Really enjoying The Fear Saga on Audible...Not sure if there is a book.

Then reading The Time of Contempt ( Witcher 1 ) ...not 100% on it but willing to hang in.

Just finished Engineering Eden ....on Kindle .....eye opener about Yellowstone, Glacier and death by grizzly. Good companion to Night of the Grizzlies and the fight to keep humans and bears from damaging each other.

Good summary of the issue covered in both books ...and the generally successful resolution of the issue today.

The 50-Year Legacy of Glacier's Night of the Grizzlies
How one tragic evening revolutionized bear management in our national parks

https://www.outsideonline.com/2232461/5 ... -grizzlies
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4454  Postby crazyfitter » Nov 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Reading The History of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr (yes him).
I’m really enjoying this book (kindle 99p). It starts at the end of WW2 and the forward is dated 2008 but it’s got a chapter stuck on the end to bring it more up to date with Brexit. I’m up to 1947 and understanding why The Labour Gov was loosing support. The Lend Lease deal was suddenly terminated and the pound had to be interchangeable with the dollar. So suddenly no more aid and a huge debt needed repaying, finally in 2008. The result was bread rationing. Trueman says that he never understood the consequences and wished he’d read the agreement.
Then came the worst winter for 300 years and coal stocks at power stations froze up so they couldn’t fill the hoppers. The lights started going out.
Also in that year Indian independence was announced. Churchill had to be restrained from entering the HoC he was that mad and Enoch Powell wondered the West End slumping down in doorways and holding his head in his hands. Oh for the joys of empire.
Back to the book...
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4455  Postby Macdoc » Nov 28, 2019 5:09 am

Image trying this monster.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4456  Postby Animavore » Nov 28, 2019 8:00 am

Robin Hobb, Farseer Trilogy. Utterly amazing writer. When's the TV show?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4457  Postby Fallible » Nov 28, 2019 10:20 am

Well, I remember reading those when I was the definition of a spring chicken, so don’t hold your breath.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4458  Postby Macdoc » Nov 28, 2019 10:35 am

Hobb is a brilliant writer .....you've got a lot of excellent books ahead of you. They are all related.
Dinklage to play The Fool ?? perhaps.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4459  Postby Svartalf » Nov 28, 2019 11:08 am

Started reading a 12 volume segment of the manga titled the Drops of God. It's about wine, and the author is so well documented I actually spend more time researching details to understand what it"s all about than actually reading

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4460  Postby crazyfitter » Dec 20, 2019 9:28 pm

C18E5371-C114-4654-B539-FCD86FBEC202.jpeg
C18E5371-C114-4654-B539-FCD86FBEC202.jpeg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 207 times

Just finished this amazing book. It’s a fictional novel inspired by the Syrian refugee crisis and the stories Christy heard while working with refugees in Athens. Her main characters flee Syria and via Turkey and Greece make it to the UK by air from Athens with forged papers. The descriptions of the camps are horrifying and she pulls no punches with drugs and child sex trade happening on a small scale.
I was very moved by the mortician in Aleppo who’s job was laying out the bodies pulled from the river with hands tied and a gunshot wound to the head. He had to clean their faces up to make it easier for relatives to identify. Then one day it was his 12yo son who had been missing a few days lying there. In the morgue book he wrote Name: My Beautiful Son. Cause of Death: This Broken World.
He then joined the refugees.

Typing the authors name in google gets you interviews with her which are worth listening to. One of the interviews says the book is no. 4 in UK and 1 in Ireland.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books