What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#4461  Postby crazyfitter » Dec 30, 2019 4:10 pm

31837824-7D48-4129-AEE2-12AD6B7F6520.jpeg
31837824-7D48-4129-AEE2-12AD6B7F6520.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 162 times

Great Xmas present. I’m about halfway through Knife but won’t finish until new year. I think I know Oslo better than some Norwegians with the number of Joe Nesbo books I’ve read :dopey:
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4462  Postby Svartalf » Dec 30, 2019 7:56 pm

no real books, I can't concentrate enough to even go through a whole paragraph at a time, but I'm reading comics, like stuff from the 70s I find on the net, Marvel stuff mainly, Skull the Slayer, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night... I had started Grell's Warlord, but a mishhap with the compy made me lose my page, and I did not feel like looking for the right issue in the huge mass availablable.

In the Manga department, I'm doing Battle Angel Alita, and the Drops of God.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4463  Postby crazyfitter » Dec 31, 2019 1:39 pm

I think you’re missing out Svartalf. The problem I have with pictures is that they limit my imagination not expand it. As an example I read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and thought it an extremely funny book but when I saw the film was very disappointed and thought how bland and contrived it was. This goes for all the films of books I’ve seen which never live up to the written word. I’d recommend that you read Hitchhikers Guide and set yourself a target of, say, a chapter a week, or page a day and enjoy the humour. Set it as a New Years Resolution!

I think you’re selling yourself short. You’ve actually written a paragraph and hopefully will read this one.
Happy New Year. :cheers:
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4464  Postby crazyfitter » Jan 23, 2020 11:39 pm

D3997F01-DC44-40B5-AF63-70FDD0CD1464.jpeg
D3997F01-DC44-40B5-AF63-70FDD0CD1464.jpeg (254.95 KiB) Viewed 107 times

This is a terrific book which reverses the journey Rory took in 1989 from Berlin to Moscow with stops at additional places. One being Solovetsky Island in the White Sea near the border with Finland and the start of the Gulags. Queue horror stories.
In Moscow we get into cyber warfare and a list of extra ordinary hacking which includes the UK, US, France and Germany to mention just a few. General Vladimir Sherstyuk, a member of Russia’s National Security Council told MIT Technology Review that cyber weapons are very cheap. Almost free of charge.
His contact with someone working in a Troll factory in St Pertersburg didn’t turn up. ‘Internet operators wanted! Job at chic office in Olgino!!!’ the job adverts had exclaimed. ‘Task: posting comments at profile sites in the internet, writing thematic posts, blogs, social networks. Payments every week and free meals.
The operators would work 6 Facebook or 10 Twitter accounts. Lots of examples of their work.
His journey takes him through most of Eastern Europe and meets up with people he’d met 30 years ago. Mostly their conditions had worsened and were supporting far right parties which were proliferating. One family who had worked hard and created their own greengrocers were put out of business by Lidl.
Altogether it’s a distressing book and he finishes with an interview with a top American Investment Banker working in London...
Attachments
B433541C-63CB-4440-80A8-2D7E5350AD4D.jpeg
B433541C-63CB-4440-80A8-2D7E5350AD4D.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 107 times
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4465  Postby Fallible » Jan 23, 2020 11:42 pm

Lordy...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Book Thread 2020

#4466  Postby Macdoc » Jan 24, 2020 6:23 am

"Malazan Book of the Fallen" is out on Audible .....400 hours ....10 novels.... :what: soooo tempted. It took 10 years of waiting to get them all in print and numerous re-reads as each novel is some 900 pages.. Let's see...400 hours at say 70 km per hour on the bike. 28,000 km ...2 years worth give or take. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4467  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 24, 2020 3:07 pm

so is that #1 on your 2020 list then, squire? sounds, er…..epic..... :cheers:
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4468  Postby Animavore » Jan 27, 2020 12:18 pm

I got that Malazan audiobook today and listened to it to, during, and from the gym. I now think audiobooks are better than music for the gym because you get lost in the story and notice the pain less. The audiobook is fantastic. The first thing I noticed, before it even began, is that the narrator said, "Performed by Ralph Lister." Not "Read by Ralph Lister." And what a performance! He does voices and accents for all the characters.

Speaking of getting lost in the story. I also got lost in reality on the way home from the gym while listening to it. I must've taken a wrong turn somewhere because at one point I looked up and I didn't know where the hell I was.

Which makes me question why anyone would listen to it on a motorcycle.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4469  Postby crazyfitter » Jan 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Fallible wrote:Lordy...

Yes indeedy. I wanted to smack her round the head with a wet tea towel. Unfortunately I’ve met that kind of arrogance many times and have gone from anger to a feeling of being diminished. Before I retired my company made the worlds first underwater oil pipeline hot make - hot break valve ( I built it), manipulators that place half ton rolls of polyester into position and much other stuff. Most of it exported. They are currently developing other products. Other companies I worked for were proud of their international reach and ability to engage in speculative prototype work. The last thing they need is a volatile market
We hear a lot about the UK losing its industrial base but be that as it may there is still a lot of companies out there making top quality products and competing on the world market and the last thing they need is volatility caused by money chasing money.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4470  Postby crazyfitter » Jan 27, 2020 8:47 pm

Bought The Ultimate Sci Fi Collection by Blackmore Dennitt for 99p on Kindle. It’s a collection of 50 classics including Jules Verne, HGWells, Edgar Allen Poe, Mary Shelley etc. What took my fancy was the ‘Lensman’ series by EE”Doc” Smith which I read sometime in the seventies but never got to read Triplanetary which kicks off the series. Well I have now and it’s so bad that it’s good if you know what I mean. It’s supposed to be a serious novel but just read it with a smile on your face. Might just start on First Lensman now, sometimes the world is just too full of grief.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4471  Postby Fallible » Jan 27, 2020 9:22 pm

I have escaped into fantasy world just now, much simpler than current real life. :)

So with escape in mind, I have delved right into all Robin Hobb’s books from the beginning. Some lovely sausage in my life has bout me everything, sequences and stand-alone novels. I read some of these years ago, back in the ‘90s when they first appeared, but I was doing my English degree, and felt it was time wasted, while I should be reading more ‘worthy’ tomes. So now I come at them again with no misgivings about how worthwhile they are in the literary canon, for pure entertainment and immersion. I intend to read the whole lot of the main sequences in publishing order, as Hobb herself recommends. I might punctuate now and then, but I do intend to read the whole lot through.

I am on book 3 of the Farseer Trilogy at the moment, and I’m enjoying them very much. Hooray for escapism!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4472  Postby Macdoc » Jan 27, 2020 11:22 pm

Why wouldn't I. Do you really think riding, driving, walking requires conscious effort?

Can you listen and walk ?? Then you can listen and ride.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4473  Postby Animavore » Jan 28, 2020 7:55 am

Macdoc wrote:

Why wouldn't I. Do you really think riding, driving, walking requires conscious effort?

Can you listen and walk ?? Then you can listen and ride.

When I'm walking I'm not moving at high speeds and don't need to be aware of the sound of surrounding traffic. I wouldn't drive a car with headphones. And I think the fact that I got lost while listening to an audiobook shows I can't even listen to headphones and walk when what's on the headphones is something I need to pay attention to.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4474  Postby Macdoc » Jan 28, 2020 12:37 pm

What makes you think a rider is " unaware of surrounding traffic" when listening to an audio book?

So you just discovered audiobooks and think others must be as easily distracted by this novelty for you.

When walking in a city you are always at risk of trucks, cars and buses ....especially those turning plus blundering into others who walk and text .....something that is truly risky as is texting and driving.

Do you think riders have a death grip on the bars in fear of their lives ?? Audiobooks make the long relatively boring hours touring, or in stop and go traffic go by with lower stress and relaxation.

When riding hard or navigating closely, it's called a pause button. You pay close attention to nav instructions and street locations or the best line through the next twist....you don't think about your riding....what gets inexperienced riders in trouble is they HAVE to think about it.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4475  Postby Animavore » Jan 28, 2020 1:08 pm

It's your life at risk. :dunno:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4476  Postby Macdoc » Jan 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Yup - always has been....what you mean is you think I take an unnecessary risk listening when the reality is I'm reducing my risk of riding incautiously as without the book I'd be fractious and impatient.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4477  Postby crazyfitter » Feb 20, 2020 3:19 pm

DA5A5218-E21A-40E4-B209-3E402AFD53D4.jpeg
DA5A5218-E21A-40E4-B209-3E402AFD53D4.jpeg (312.15 KiB) Viewed 28 times

I recently found this book which I bought in the 70’s and abandoned because it was such grim reading. I think a member of this forum mentioned it a while ago so I’m having another go and I’m over half way now. I find I’m making excuses to put it down too frequently but I will persevere.

After this I fancy a good old murder mystery to lighten my mood.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4478  Postby Macdoc » Feb 20, 2020 11:27 pm

It is indeed grim. The one set I had to abandon is about the shrubs malfeasance in Iraq...could not finish it. Bob Woodward is a fine writer too. :(
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4479  Postby Macdoc » Feb 20, 2020 11:50 pm

try this
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4480  Postby crazyfitter » Feb 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks Macdoc, I’ve just read some reviews and it looks a good book. I’ll keep it in mind but have got a backlog of books I want to read first.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Books