What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#4561  Postby Kaleid » May 01, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi Fall! :hello: Hope you and US are cool and groovy!

I started War & Peace when all the recent shenanigans started. Shits and giggles, you know. See what all the fuss was about. Get the I've-read-War-&-Peace thing under my belt.

I mean, really. I'm the type of person that forgets someone's name four seconds after they've told me it. Soooo many characters. I don't usually force myself to finish books that don't interest me, but I'm bloody-minded about this. I WILL finish it, despite someone betting against me. :lay:

For now, though, I've just read 'The Great Captains' by Henry Treece. An oldie but a goodie. By no means lacking depth, it's nevertheless incredibly easy to read. Finished it in a few hours. A retelling of Arthurian legend, it imagines King Arthur as he could have been, in quite a realistic way, but throws in a few Druid curveballs.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4562  Postby Kaleid » May 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Hey surr! I don't personally see Kindles as soulless *puts pretentious art teacher hat on* the 'soul' should come from the words, not the medium that gets them to you *takes hat off, burns* but I think a happy balance can be struck. There's a wonderful nostalgia and comfort an old, well-thumbed book can bring you, but as Hermit pointed out, digitised books gifts us all accessibility in terms of hard-to-get or out of print books, and it's great for searching for key passages we remember. From my point of view, it doesn't need to be either/or :dunno:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4563  Postby MattHunX » May 02, 2020 7:47 am

Macdoc wrote:Windup is brilliant and unique.

It's a bit of a strange read. But, maybe it just feels that way because it is an unfamiliar setting, unlike a trilogy and not much explanation, none an at all, in fact, so far, for past events. Talking about calorie wars and things that can only make you raised a brow.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#4564  Postby MattHunX » May 02, 2020 7:51 am

Macdoc wrote:A thing of the past soon enough. First the physical bookstores are gone or going and soon enough the home libraries in favour of compact electrons.
Hard even to give away physical books these days. So easy to share electronic libraries as well even across oceans. :coffee:

Currently still engaged with The Expanse series.

Got those Expanse novels, too. Read about them in an online article and thought they would be interesting, but then the TV series came out and I got bored of the first season. But, I'm still going to give the novels a go and maybe the TV series another chance.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#4565  Postby Hermit » May 02, 2020 8:14 am

Kaleid wrote:Hey surr! I don't personally see Kindles as soulless *puts pretentious art teacher hat on* the 'soul' should come from the words, not the medium that gets them to you *takes hat off, burns* but I think a happy balance can be struck. There's a wonderful nostalgia and comfort an old, well-thumbed book can bring you, but as Hermit pointed out, digitised books gifts us all accessibility in terms of hard-to-get or out of print books, and it's great for searching for key passages we remember. From my point of view, it doesn't need to be either/or :dunno:

Good point about differentiating between medium and message, but you misread my post(s). Yes, digitised books are more accessible in terms of search functions within any one of them, but at this stage millions of paper based publications are yet to be digitised. I am reminded of the time DVDs were a new thing. For each title that was available on DVD there would have been a hundred or more on old fashioned video cassette tape and an even more massive number archived in film and broadcasting studios. At this stage projects like Google Books have made hardly a dent into the available amount that is not digitised yet.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4566  Postby surreptitious57 » May 03, 2020 6:32 pm

GODEL ESCHER BACH : AN ETERNAL GOLDEN BRAID / DOUGLAS HOFSTADTER [ 73 / I00 ]

An incredibly ambitious book that deals with what it means to truly know that one is conscious by having self awareness
Very diverse and labyrinthine but some what let down by the slightly wooden prose and superfluous imaginary scenarios
I never once got the impression that it was a truly great work as its reputation suggests merely a very knowledgeable one
But for the sheer quantity and diversity of said knowledge it is truly indispensible although it could have been better still
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4567  Postby crazyfitter » May 04, 2020 10:48 am

426C9CCB-0617-429F-B0A5-E456E4F8D61B.jpeg
426C9CCB-0617-429F-B0A5-E456E4F8D61B.jpeg (282.61 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Satori is set in 1950/51. A cold war thriller loosely based around Tokyo, Beiijing and Siagon. Gun running, drugs, prostitution and assassination, what’s not to like? It’s a prequel to Shibumi and Trevanians family asked Winslow to write it.
Trevanian’s real name was Rodney Whitaker who wrote many books including Eiger Sanction. I’ll be reading Shibumi soon.
I’ve got mixed feelings about kindles. The sight of rows of books does something to me that a kindle can’t although I have to admit the convenience of the electronic media. My ‘fire’ was a retirement present from work but as a ‘fire’ it has a glossy screen which makes it useless to read in the sun or on holiday. Shouldn’t grumble :naughty:
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4568  Postby Svartalf » May 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Done with vampires and mummies, going back to Robert Howard, Conan, Kull, El Borak and the crusades.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4569  Postby crazyfitter » May 17, 2020 10:05 am

E781BDA9-0030-44D6-A8EB-DEC53E12C489.jpeg
E781BDA9-0030-44D6-A8EB-DEC53E12C489.jpeg (319.73 KiB) Viewed 198 times

After being intrigued by the cover photos of this book I read some reviews and was sold. A worthy read but I was shocked when the epilogue came at me unexpectedly. That’s the problem with kindles, I lose a sense of where I am in the story.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4570  Postby crazyfitter » May 17, 2020 10:48 am

But not nearly as shocked as when Ratskep vanished. It’s demise was even mentioned on Ratz. The earth trembled beneath my feet. :scratch:
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4571  Postby Svartalf » May 17, 2020 10:58 am

coming to the end of my main Howard run, still hesitating about going through Conan again, or maybe shifting to something lighter, maybe Abraham Merritt...

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4572  Postby crazyfitter » May 18, 2020 6:58 pm

05667B22-4DE7-4425-8B6B-C22CFFA10458.jpeg
05667B22-4DE7-4425-8B6B-C22CFFA10458.jpeg (351.31 KiB) Viewed 167 times

This is my 4yo granddaughter with her favourite book. It’s by Vita Murrow and illustrated by Julia Bereciartu and is a retelling of famous children’s stories minus the airheads. The young women have strong personalities and don’t need rescuing by passing princes who they fall in love with, marry and live happily ever after. Being in isolation I haven’t been able to lay my hands on it yet but it’s on my list of things I’m very much looking forward to doing.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4573  Postby crazyfitter » May 21, 2020 3:48 pm

3F70E59B-D52C-48BE-91E0-0FC2806A34E4.jpeg
3F70E59B-D52C-48BE-91E0-0FC2806A34E4.jpeg (347.85 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Just finished this off sitting in the sunshine. Set in a Swedish December it’s about an err hypnotist and how things can go wrong. After about a tenth of the book I thought that’s it, all done and dusted, what’s the rest of the book about? Well it all comes unravelled and the story does become a bonafide thriller.

If I’ve a complaint it’s that the denouement comes a few chapters from the end and all that’s left is the final action sequences and the cosy hospital get together. I thought of abandoning it but stuck it out to the end.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4574  Postby Svartalf » May 22, 2020 4:45 am

Actually, I've read an interesting essay about Howard's historical fiction, so I'm going to go back through some of that stuff before switching to Merritt

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4575  Postby crazyfitter » May 25, 2020 7:29 pm

ABD93DE0-0E80-4E96-B60E-A2A40F8815FE.jpeg
ABD93DE0-0E80-4E96-B60E-A2A40F8815FE.jpeg (267.98 KiB) Viewed 102 times

Shibumi is a Japanese word meaning a particular aesthetic of simple, subtle, and unobtrusive beauty. And a state of mind which our hero Nicholas Hel tries to achieve. He has a Russian mother and German father is raised in China and Japan and is stateless. The end of ww2 finds him starving in Tokyo and the graphic scenes of that first winter are very moving.

He speaks 4 languages and learns a fifth (Basque) while serving a three year sentence in a Japanese prison. The previous book Santori by Don Winslow is about the start of his career as an international assassin and this book is after his retirement so we are spared the blood and guts of his career. He assassinated terrorists at the behest of governments which naturally leave more questions than answers but, hey, he’s a good guy.

This book is based mostly in the Basque region of France where he becomes a famous caver and the author has him discovering the Gouffre Porte de Larrau cave system. The author wrote The Eiger Sanction. Some of the action takes place in here. It’s a worthy read and I recommend it.

And when I read this I naturally thought of don’t get me started:

And Basque is a language more suited to story telling than to exchanging information. No one can learn to speak Basque beautifully; like eye colour or blood type, it is something one has to be born to. The language is subtle and loosely regulated, with its circumlocutory word orders, it’s vague declensions, it’s double conjugations, both synthetic and periphrastic, with its old ‘story’ forms mixed with formal verb patterns. Basque is a song, and while outlanders may learn the words, they can never master the music.

Damn, one day I’m going to learn English!
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4576  Postby NamelessFaceless » May 26, 2020 2:25 pm

I just finished reading Watership Down. This is the kind of book that I always felt like I should read, even though it didn't sound interesting. I really wasn't excited about starting it, but it was on my list so I just forced myself to start and . . . damn I'm glad I did. What an amazing book. It was so much fun. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing the Netflix series.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4577  Postby NamelessFaceless » May 26, 2020 2:28 pm

Also, I wanted to mention - Amazon just leaves my packages on the doorstep. I don't have to be home. Maybe it's different where ya'll live?

Although now, with the pandemic, they don't care about 2-day shipping. They don't even give you the option of getting something faster or slower. For a while, they offered $1 credit on digital items if you chose no-rush shipping, but now their attitude is 'you'll get it when you get it so . . . suck it!'
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4578  Postby felltoearth » May 26, 2020 2:53 pm

It’s called a pandemic.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4579  Postby Fallible » May 27, 2020 10:34 am

They leave things on the doorstep after knocking (although we have a sign up that says don’t knock), and we have a safe place for them to put things while we are out. This is just a pandemic thing. They would knock and wait for an answer before. Shipping, we have been getting things same day or day after for a week or so now. Royal Mail though - I think we are getting deliveries 3 days a week at the moment. Have been waiting for blood forms for about 3 weeks now.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4580  Postby crazyfitter » May 27, 2020 12:43 pm

I have a printed notice in window saying we’re self isolating and please ring bell and leave parcels round the back. Works very well. I haven’t noticed a difference in delivery times.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books