What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#4581  Postby surreptitious57 » May 28, 2020 11:31 am

I am not ordering anything while the pandemic is still on as I would feel guilty about making someone work more
than they have to just so that I can get a few more books that I am not going to be reading straight away anyway
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4582  Postby Fallible » May 28, 2020 12:20 pm

We are on mate terms with our Hermes delivery man, who encourages us to order and send things, because it keeps him in a job and able to pay his bills and eat.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4583  Postby surreptitious57 » May 28, 2020 1:11 pm

I know but unless someone said the same to me then I personally would rather wait till the pandemic passes
You are probably quite prolific whereas I dont really order that much so it would not make much difference
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4584  Postby Svartalf » May 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Finished my howard historical tales, so now I have taken out the Conan yarns, and a lot of other stories (Kull, Bran Mak Morn, Solomon Kane and divers others), as well as a half dozen Abraham Merritt novels, and I'm going to go throught the lot at a restful pace.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4585  Postby crazyfitter » May 29, 2020 4:42 pm

BBC7114B-30DD-4D16-8069-8952F39A0AA8.jpeg
BBC7114B-30DD-4D16-8069-8952F39A0AA8.jpeg (346.34 KiB) Viewed 222 times

I never read the first Blade Runner book and only saw part of the film. This book is supposed to resolve some of the discrepancies between them but it is a standalone book and I wasn’t impressed by it. Rides high in my ‘won’t both reading that again’ index.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: The Book Thread 2020

#4586  Postby surreptitious57 » Jun 03, 2020 8:55 am

I dont like any horror that caters to the lowest common denominator by being gruesome just for the sake of it and with the barest of plot . But when it is realistic and it has a good story behind it that is well written I have no problem with it at all

The scene in The Fog by James Herbert for example where he fails to chainsaw off all of the dogs legs simply because the
cable was not long enough is an excellent example of the latter because it is something that could so very easily happen

In direct contrast the scene in Slugs by Shaun Hutson where the giant invertebrates crawl up a drainpipe into the bed
room of a teen couple having sex then crawl inside her is so utterly unrealistic because it simply could never happen

The first is a touch of gallows humour that is totally credible while the second is so incredible as to be laughable

On a far less horrific note Sloth I was browsing your page at goodreads and as a result will be ordering The
Passage Trilogy
by Justin Cronin . They are big meaty books and so quantity as well as quality [ hopefully ]
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4587  Postby Macdoc » Jun 03, 2020 3:07 pm

so utterly unrealistic because it simply could never happen

Well ....
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/5gwq ... dical-life

then the male version

https://allthatsinteresting.com/candiru :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4588  Postby UncertainSloth » Jun 04, 2020 4:15 am

shaun hutson is a shocking writer, in many ways...;)

the passage books are great, surr, hope you enjoy - if you're in the mood for some post-apoc, then i can also recommend the old man & the wasteland trilogy, which can be sourced in a single thick volume...
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4589  Postby crazyfitter » Jun 04, 2020 11:43 am

A7DFE57D-3F7B-4997-A9ED-7B6A3C67016A.jpeg
A7DFE57D-3F7B-4997-A9ED-7B6A3C67016A.jpeg (423.72 KiB) Viewed 169 times

This is a first edition book I’ve had for ages and has the library ‘withdrawn from stock’ stamp in it as well as wearing its polythene cover. Always a good place to purchase cheap (as in price) books from. I read it donkeys years ago so thought I’d give it another read.
It’s actually three stories very loosely related, two set in the eighties and one in the far distant future in a very strange castle. Two popular conundrums crop up, the one always tells lies and the other always the truth but you don’t know which is which, and what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
The centre of the castle is a number crunching machine. The numbers are moulded from Plaster of Salt Lake City (a grey version of Plaster of Paris) and then a machine crunches them back to powder. Come on now this is Banks after all exercising his youthful wit and wisdom.

Just reading the contributions on Germaine Greer and The Female Eunuch I could kick myself. I’ve had that book in the house for many years and neither my wife or I have read it. In January I put it with an assortment of other books and gave it to a charity shop. Damn!
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4590  Postby Fallible » Jun 04, 2020 11:56 am

My issue, but I couldn’t get the fact that she’s a TERF out of my head while reading it, so just sneered all the way through.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4591  Postby crazyfitter » Jun 04, 2020 12:34 pm

I have to admit to looking up what TERF meant. Reading on Facebook and Twitter I’ve been quite discombobulated with the range of acronyms and strength of feelings that pervade the subject. Just now, looking on wiki I learn that we are on the fourth-wave feminists. WTF.

In 1999 I was working in a Siemens factory when we all got a letter saying that the engineer Phillip would be coming back from holidays as Phillipa and would have a toilet for her exclusive use. She got a few cat whistles but took it in good humour and there was never any trouble in the factory. Even the right-wing sexist brigade didn’t have anything to say after an initial snigger. I’m prattling but I wouldn’t know how to insert myself into some of the arguments I’ve read.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4592  Postby Fallible » Jun 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Yeah, it is all getting a bit complicated, and I have trouble keeping up. TERFs are distressingly (to my mind) common though, it seems.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4593  Postby crazyfitter » Jun 15, 2020 9:39 am

4533A1A9-A762-4E20-9A4F-F888BD6FC6E8.jpeg
4533A1A9-A762-4E20-9A4F-F888BD6FC6E8.jpeg (327.17 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Now there’s a title bound to raise hackles. Reni does qualify it though:

‘.........just the vast majority who refuse to accept the legitimacy of structural racism and it’s symptoms. I can no longer engage with the gulf of an emotional disconnect that white people display when a person of colour articulates their experience. You can see their eyes shut down and harden. It’s like treacle is poured into their ears, blocking up their ear canals. It’s like they can no longer hear us.’

I immediately identified with this, remembering the times, in a new workplace, when people find my wife is not white and they pause and their eyes glaze while trying to think what they might have said that might have upset me. And from then on all racism is of the subtle sort.

In 2014 Reni wrote a blogpost with this title which caused something of an international stir and it is reproduced here as the introduction to this short book.

She argues that structural racism is about how Britain’s relationship with race infects and distorts equal opportunity, that we placate ourselves with the fallacy of meritocracy by insisting that we don’t see race and this makes us feel progressive. I was reminded of a salesman who once happily told me that middle management in Manchester was run by Masons and/or Manchester Grammar School ex pupils.

‘...to pretend that simple hard work will elevate all to success is an exercise in wilful ignorance’. She argues that opposing positive discrimination reveals what you think talent looks like.

Reni talks about feminism and how it’s integral to the fight for equal opportunities for black people and how white feminists argue that it’s a distraction. She says she is not a feminist but is passionate about women’s liberation.

This book is so stuffed with quotable material I could have bookmarked every page. A couple of historical facts I didn’t know:
During ww1 I knew that a grand house In Brighton was used as a hospital for wounded Indian soldiers but I didn’t know that it was surrounded by barbed wire to stop Indians walking out into the local population.
After that war and with a shortage of work gangs of Liverpudlians went on a rampage attacking black and coloured people. One black guy was thrown into a dock and when he tried to swim was pelted with bricks and rocks. Reni says it might have been the first British ‘lynching’.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4594  Postby Fallible » Jun 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Ah, I have this sitting on my Kindle and have marked it as my next read. The blurb really grabbed me. I used to be one of those people who said things like ‘I don’t see colour, just people’. I’m a few years on from that now. I finally worked out that I have the luxury of not having to think about colour if I don’t want to, as I live in a society where most people have my colour, so it’s not even an issue.

It took my brain a while to process the fact that this is very much not the experience of anyone of colour. For them, living in a predominantly white society, their colour defines them, because difference is the first thing we see.

I’ve learned that to go to people of colour for solutions to racial problems is the wrong thing to do as well. They didn’t create the problems with race, that would be white people. So the problem is for white people to solve and stop bothering people of colour with.

I narrowly avoided a run-in with a good friend who prefers black men about racism, her insisting that she isn’t racist because of her dating preference. She was also the person who claimed that black people in our society can be racist to white people. I was sad, because to me now it’s very clear that racism exists within a context of power and control. Then I wondered why I was getting annoyed with her, because I used to share her views. It’s been a difficult road for me to learn that I wasn’t as ‘right on’ a I thought I was, having always considered myself as an egalitarian and a supporter of the underdog. However, I finally managed to put aside how great I thought I was in this regard and change my views.

Anyway, your recommendation has only made it more likely that I will read this next.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4595  Postby surreptitious57 » Jun 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Yes to absolutely every single thing said in the previous two posts
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4596  Postby crazyfitter » Jun 17, 2020 8:19 am

ADB423EA-B4CC-43E4-AB07-DA904BF1EFD9.png
ADB423EA-B4CC-43E4-AB07-DA904BF1EFD9.png (135.29 KiB) Viewed 66 times

Big congratulations to Reni.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4597  Postby Fallible » Jun 17, 2020 12:43 pm

:clap:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4598  Postby Svartalf » Jun 21, 2020 10:15 am

Temporarily left Howard to start a book by Poul Anderson, gosh, that guy has the art of making fantasy in saga style down pat, even if, later in his career, he more or less disavowed that particular novel as a youthful error.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4599  Postby crazyfitter » Jun 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Only read one book by Anderson, Tau Zero, and that is brilliant.
crazyfitter

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4600  Postby Svartalf » Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm

plenty of his stuff that I haven't read, including that one... when I had money, his books were hard to find.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books