10-Year-Old Accidentally Creates New Molecule

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

10-Year-Old Accidentally Creates New Molecule

#1  Postby Mazille » Feb 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Clara Lazen is the discoverer of tetranitratoxycarbon, a molecule constructed of, obviously, oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon. It's got some interesting possible properties, ranging from use as an explosive to energy storage. Lazen is listed as the co-author of a recent paper on the molecule. But that's not what's so interesting and inspiring about this story. What's so unusual here is that Clara Lazen is a ten-year-old fifth-grader in Kansas City, MO.

Source

Cool, eh? What are the chances of her assembling this by accident from scratch, though?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 10-Year-Old Accidentally Creates New Molecule

#2  Postby DougC » Feb 08, 2012 2:55 am

Interesting, hope she got an A.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby trevp » Feb 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Mazille wrote:
Clara Lazen is the discoverer of tetranitratoxycarbon, a molecule constructed of, obviously, oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon. It's got some interesting possible properties, ranging from use as an explosive to energy storage. Lazen is listed as the co-author of a recent paper on the molecule. But that's not what's so interesting and inspiring about this story. What's so unusual here is that Clara Lazen is a ten-year-old fifth-grader in Kansas City, MO.

Source

Cool, eh? What are the chances of her assembling this by accident from scratch, though?

Maybe it's just me being cynical but in my view, building a model of a potentially viable model in a chemistry class doesn't qualify as either "creating" or "discovering" a new molecule. I didn't get the impression from reading the article that anyone has actually synthesised this yet.

Still - it's an interesting looking molecule.
trevp

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Berthold » Mar 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Has made it into wiki, with links to the original papers (didn't look if they have to be paid for).
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » Mar 12, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm loving the comments in the linked Source, someone (julianpenrod) has actually bothered to write things like, 'this is just a theory' & 'if I draw a picture of the Loch Ness Monster that makes it viable science does it?'.. :rofl:

Gotta love this planet.
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ultimate » Apr 23, 2012 4:47 pm

I made things like this in gradeschool and didn't get any recognition...

I'm not very impressed as is. It appears to me that the kid just made something which could theoretically exist. If you had 1,000,000 kids playing with molecule builders I would bet you would end up with not just one but probably hundreds of possible molecules.

I might also use this as proof for evolution! Something that looks intelligent but really came from random sticking things into places.
Ultimate

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DougC » Apr 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Ultimate wrote:I made things like this in gradeschool and didn't get any recognition...

I'm not very impressed as is. It appears to me that the kid just made something which could theoretically exist. If you had 1,000,000 kids playing with molecule builders I would bet you would end up with not just one but probably hundreds of possible molecules.

I might also use this as proof for evolution! Something that looks intelligent but really came from random sticking things into places.

Thats how god made the universe. Just change angels for kids. :naughty2:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 01, 2013 12:03 am

So this molecule is C(CO3N)4 ... looks like something that the Klapötke lab would work with. After all, they work with other molecules that have, shall we say, interesting bond strain and exothermicity issues, such as nitrotetrazole oxides, azidoazide azides (if you have to ask, this handy page reveals all the horrors), the gloriously named hexanitrohexaazaisowurzitane, a poly-nitro cage compound (go here for the structural formula, and its interesting properties), and azidotetrazole salts. In the case of the latter, this is a suitably humorous account of why only the extremely curious (not to mention deranged) even think of playing with these substances (though to be fair, Klapötke and his team manage to survive their explorations of the wilder frontiers of poly-nitro chemistry by being extremely careful).
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 01, 2013 8:52 am

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised there are blogs where chemists chit-cat about this or that molecule and share the odd in-joke.

"Heh, heh, heh. How about those azidotetrazole salts, Bill?"
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Made of Stars » Jul 01, 2013 9:32 am

Meh. My 7-year old makes a variety of novel sulphur-based molecules on a daily basis. :smug:

But srsly, good on her, I'm glad it's stimulated interest amongst her classmates.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Chemistry