Colloids with valence and specific directional bonding

Remember your chemical bonding kits? Now we have movies of the real thing!!

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Colloids with valence and specific directional bonding

#1  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 01, 2012 12:43 am

Wang, Y., Y. Wang, et al. (2012). "Colloids with valence and specific directional bonding." Nature 491(7422): 51-55.
The ability to design and assemble three-dimensional structures from colloidal particles is limited by the absence of specific directional bonds. As a result, complex or low-coordination structures, common in atomic and molecular systems, are rare in the colloidal domain. Here we demonstrate a general method for creating the colloidal analogues of atoms with valence: colloidal particles with chemically distinct surface patches that imitate hybridized atomic orbitals, including sp, sp2, sp3, sp3d, sp3d2 and sp3d3. Functionalized with DNA with single-stranded sticky ends, patches on different particles can form highly directional bonds through programmable, specific and reversible DNA hybridization. These features allow the particles to self-assemble into |[lsquo]|colloidal molecules|[rsquo]| with triangular, tetrahedral and other bonding symmetries, and should also give access to a rich variety of new microstructured colloidal materials.

[paywall]
http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature11564

If you don't have a subs to Nature-starve yourself for a week, and use the money saved to get one. Seriously. :thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Colloids with valence and specific directional bonding

#2  Postby Acetone » Nov 05, 2012 4:29 am

Yeah, I read about this yesterday, pretty amazing stuff. I agree it's worth getting the article.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 05, 2012 9:20 am

Acetone wrote:Yeah, I read about this yesterday, pretty amazing stuff. I agree it's worth getting the article.

Ahgrrhh! I forgot to mention, the 4 vids are free :doh: So is the Supp pdf. Sorry.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#4  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Psst ... you can read the full PDF online here, but there's restrictions on downloading.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Chemistry