Could you actually have an LSD flashback decades after takin

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Could you actually have an LSD flashback decades after takin

#1  Postby HughMcB » Oct 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Could you actually have an LSD flashback decades after taking the drug?
Keith Veronese
Oct 19, 2012 4:20 PM

Ever hear someone tell a tale about an elderly man who used LSD in his youth going on a fish trip, only to randomly have an LSD-linked flashback and die via drowning? Scary, eh? I remember this urban legend particularly well, thanks to an unusually creepy elementary school assembly about drug awareness.

Stories of flashbacks occurring years after taking LSD are a part of urban legends and internet lore, but do they really happen?

Can the human body store LSD?

The hallucinogenic effect associated with LSD use typically begins thirty minutes after ingestion, and they increase in potency until the four to five mark. After the peak, the effect of the chemical wanes as the hours pass, with psychological effects rarely felt after the eight hour after use passes.

Contrary to urban legend, your body does not store molecules of lysergic acid diethylamide in the base of your spine, subcutaneous fat, or anywhere else in your body. LSD has a short half-life of three to four hours, with the entirety of a dose metabolized by the body within a day and excreted in the urine.

LSD is metabolized quick enough that any trace of the molecule will be eliminated within a day. This leaves none of the molecule available to be stored in the spine or fat, regardless of whether or not spinal fluid or fat provides a stable storage environment for the molecule.

...continues...

Chemistry section? Um, why not. :dunno:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Could you actually have an LSD flashback decades after takin

#2  Postby kiore » Oct 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I knew people in the 1990's that took LSD trips in the early 1970's and even some who used it regularly right through and 70' 80's and 90's .. The occasion 'absences' or odd behaviour in these people was frequently put down to 'flashbacks' really I had serious doubts that this wasn't just how they were.. and what was being observed was innate, OK perhaps they had sustained some mental health issues from frequent tripping, or was it that those with issues are more likely to use psychotrophic substances as self medication or to disguise their innate odd behaviours. In many circles it is more acceptable to be viewed as 'out of it' than as just mad.. Back to the chemistry, yes a half of 3-4 hours would suggest that after a decade homeopathic doses would remain present. :whistle:
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Oct 20, 2012 6:05 pm

I've never had one or anything like one.

I have had dreams I was on it though.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby trubble76 » Oct 20, 2012 6:43 pm

I always thought the flashback issues was more to do with 'rewiring' the brain than with stored LSD in the body.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » Oct 20, 2012 6:56 pm

I thought that LSD flashbacks happened because the chemical can bind to the fatty sheath of the nerves, that it is never fully excreted.
I have had flashbacks, or what I thought were flashbacks, months later. Sometimes I chose not to do a 'trip' with my friends but hung with them all the same, when they were well in to the experience I appeared to pick up on the vibe & have a little trip of my own. That was strange.
Today I can easily visualise the hallucinations I had & even the skin-sensations, but not generate the trip from nothing, like I imagined I could (or did).
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6  Postby proudfootz » Feb 22, 2013 5:07 am

Seems like a freebie.

Haven't had any such luck, though...
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby katja z » Feb 22, 2013 8:20 am

kiore wrote:Back to the chemistry, yes a half of 3-4 hours would suggest that after a decade homeopathic doses would remain present. :whistle:

Easily tested. If your hypothesis is correct, the science of homeopathy predicts that LSD flashbacks should a) be massively more powerful than normal trips and b) get stronger over time. :naughty2:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby proudfootz » Feb 22, 2013 2:24 pm

katja z wrote:
kiore wrote:Back to the chemistry, yes a half of 3-4 hours would suggest that after a decade homeopathic doses would remain present. :whistle:

Easily tested. If your hypothesis is correct, the science of homeopathy predicts that LSD flashbacks should a) be massively more powerful than normal trips and b) get stronger over time. :naughty2:

Do you think they might be even stronger if you never took any at all?

Certainly enough time has passed where all the water on the planet should have some 'memory' of having contact with some of this stuff?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby HughMcB » Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

I can therefore affirm homeopathy to be complete bollocks as I'm not "trippin' balls" right now. :smug:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Return to Chemistry