Deuterium oxide

Does D2O sink in water? Can you drink it?

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Deuterium oxide

#1  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » Oct 14, 2011 7:44 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVzb0fzHsk[/youtube]

I fucking love what he says at the end, about putting D2O in your whisky. :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyK6kPi8k78[/youtube]

But if you could kill someone with it, would it show up in a post mortem examination? :plot:
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Deuterium oxide

#2  Postby ramseyoptom » Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm

According to Wiki the concentration of D20 is 0.0156% by mass in the Earths oceans, so from what I saw of the video (and I didn't watch it all) I would think it is going to take a lot of doing to get any reasonable concentration, by osmosis.

Look at the problems there were in the Norsk-Hydro Plant in 1942 getting sufficient D20 for the Germans and this was without visits from the SOE!

Again according to Wiki :
In chemistry, biochemistry and environmental sciences, deuterium is used as a non-radioactive, stable isotopic tracer, for example, in the doubly labeled water test. In chemical reactions and metabolic pathways, deuterium behaves somewhat similarly to ordinary hydrogen (with a few chemical differences, as noted). It can be distinguished from ordinary hydrogen most easily by its mass, using mass spectrometry or infrared spectrometry.

So if you killed some one with it and by the sound of it you are going to need a lot then if a forensic scientist goes looking it will probably be found. (That is assuming in trying to produce a sufficiency you don't attract any interest and some guys based in Hereford don't come calling :evilgrin: )
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Berthold » Oct 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Oh, it's not a controlled chemical. Main use of deuterated substances is in NMR spectroscopy. However, it would be quite expensive to keep a person's body fluids at approx. two thirds D2O, which is, if I recall correctly, the concentration that kills.

To find it (if the suspicion arises) is comparatively simple: infrared and/or mass spectrometry.
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » Oct 23, 2011 11:32 am

Not the perfect crime then. :think:
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Arcanyn » Oct 23, 2011 12:05 pm

It would be very hard to do stealthily too; you've basically got to ensure that all the water they drink for about a fortnight is D2O - and the only way you're likely to be able to pull that off is if you've already got them chained up in your basement.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby OnCue » Feb 01, 2012 12:41 pm

They used to tell us in grad school you could drink D20. We would also deuteriate simple sugars and follow them through various metabolic cycles before scintillation counting. In either case, it didn't appear to be lethal.
OnCue

Name: Matty Matt

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Berthold » Mar 12, 2012 12:35 pm

It's the dose that does it.

But...

Scintillation counting, doesn't that sound like something else? :D
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tolman » Mar 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Arcanyn wrote:It would be very hard to do stealthily too; you've basically got to ensure that all the water they drink for about a fortnight is D2O - and the only way you're likely to be able to pull that off is if you've already got them chained up in your basement.

I guess if someone was under your care, it might be possible to get away with it, at least if they had some other problems which made the likely symptoms acceptable to the authorities.

If actual death was likely to be due to infection or similar, that might be fairly easy to consider as 'natural causes'.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#9  Postby turnerj41 » Mar 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Cool experiment, I wonder what might happen with DHO ice in H20 liquid, or perhaps some vitrified H2O ice in D2O or DHO liquid. Varying the temp of the water with all these experiments also might be interesting. Don't know how relevant these experiments are but if you are a chemist with some free time perhaps its worth something to do it.
turnerj41

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Chemistry