Diamond nanothreads

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Diamond nanothreads

#1  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 17, 2014 12:49 am

http://science.psu.edu/news-and-events/2014-news/Badding9-2014

21 September 2014 — For the first time, scientists have discovered how to produce ultra-thin "diamond nanothreads" that promise extraordinary properties, including strength and stiffness greater than that of today's strongest nanotubes and polymers. A paper describing this discovery by a research team led by John V. Badding, a professor of chemistry at Penn State University, will be published in the 21 September 2014 issue of the journal Nature Materials.

Step one in the space elevator. :thumbup:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Diamond nanothreads

#2  Postby DougC » Oct 17, 2014 12:53 am

:jump:

To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby THWOTH » Oct 17, 2014 1:16 am

:this: I immediately thought of the same thing. :D

"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Oct 17, 2014 4:32 am

Me, too.

Unfortunately, the damage to the Earth from a terrorist attack against a Beanstalk means it will likely never be built.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby THWOTH » Oct 17, 2014 5:52 pm

That's just what the terrorists want you to think, and it's exactly that kind of defeatist attitude that has held you humans back for centuries.

:whistle:

Anyway, building a space elevator on the Western edge of the Pacific would mean that if it did come down it would only come down with a bit of a splash.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm

It would be at least 36,000 km long. So if it were to fall it would just about wrap right around to its start point. (40Kkm)

Not building things because someone might break them doesn't seem like much of an argument against, though.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Agree
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby minininja » Oct 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Onyx8 wrote:It would be at least 36,000 km long. So if it were to fall it would just about wrap right around to its start point. (40Kkm)

Assuming it broke at some point in the atmosphere though - would not the majority of it fall outwards into orbit? :ask:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Weaver » Oct 17, 2014 9:05 pm

THWOTH wrote:That's just what the terrorists want you to think, and it's exactly that kind of defeatist attitude that has held you humans back for centuries.

Anyway, building a space elevator on the Western edge of the Pacific would mean that if it did come down it would only come down with a bit of a splash.

If one comes down, it will wrap around the whole planet a couple times.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Weaver » Oct 17, 2014 9:06 pm

minininja wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:It would be at least 36,000 km long. So if it were to fall it would just about wrap right around to its start point. (40Kkm)

Assuming it broke at some point in the atmosphere though - would not the majority of it fall outwards into orbit? :ask:

Everything below geosynch will hit the planet. Only the stuff above geosynch will depart, some into orbit, most into an escape trajectory.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 17, 2014 9:57 pm

One of the ideas for the ladder is to start with your cable at geosynch and then unwind it both towards the planet and away from it at the same time. Then you end up with a cable 72,000Km long and can not only use it to get to space but can also use it to launch vehicles on interplanetary missions from the far end.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Weaver wrote:
THWOTH wrote:That's just what the terrorists want you to think, and it's exactly that kind of defeatist attitude that has held you humans back for centuries.

Geosynch is 36,000 km, world circumf is 40,000 km.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby THWOTH » Oct 18, 2014 12:51 am

Onyx8 wrote:
Weaver wrote:

Geosynch is 36,000 km, world circumf is 40,000 km.

Damn you with your facts and figures. :lay:

The fibres could enhance bridge design too I read. Imagine, if you can, a bridge across the English channel, the straits of Gibraltar, or from Milwaukee to Muskegon. Welcome to the future - soon we'll all have a personal jetpacks and food in pill form.
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby minininja » Oct 18, 2014 8:33 am

Weaver wrote:
minininja wrote:

Everything below geosynch will hit the planet. Only the stuff above geosynch will depart, some into orbit, most into an escape trajectory.

But that's assuming it all breaks up into separate pieces which seems unlikely. The whole point is surely that the counterweight can pull the majority of the cable up. The bit that would fall would be anything below the break and (I'm assuming though perhaps incorrectly) that's most likely to be within the atmosphere i.e. not very far up.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 18, 2014 8:55 am

If a cable did fall, presumably a substantial proportion of it would burn up on re-entry.

Listen to us though, the thing isn't even built yet. :lol:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Chemistry