High fructose corn syrup

Things people believe about chemicals

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

High fructose corn syrup

#41  Postby fzit0 » Mar 31, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm not a chemist. But I've read from medical sources that HFCS or coke drinks limit the ability of your body to produce white blood cells for a few hours, lowering the ability of the immune system.

I've also read that it contains or helps develop a kind of fungus in the body called candida(?). And as ridiculous as it sounds there are laboratory blood tests that can help locate that.

I can't find sources or papers to support my "claims" (I'm posting from my iPod ) but I'll try my best to find them.
fzit0

Name: Jose

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: High fructose corn syrup

#42  Postby rainbow » Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm

:smug:
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Umakemyheadswim » Apr 05, 2011 9:04 am

fzit0 wrote:I'm not a chemist. But I've read from medical sources that HFCS or coke drinks limit the ability of your body to produce white blood cells for a few hours, lowering the ability of the immune system.

I've also read that it contains or helps develop a kind of fungus in the body called candida(?). And as ridiculous as it sounds there are laboratory blood tests that can help locate that.

I can't find sources or papers to support my "claims" (I'm posting from my iPod ) but I'll try my best to find them.

Yes apparently the candida can cause a whole host of problems for the body.
Umakemyheadswim

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Apollonius » Jun 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Arguing about HFCS is like arguing about how do you want to hang yourself, with a nylon rope or cloth rope?

It's shit. Sugar and HFCS should be avoided at all times. No exceptions.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby rainbow » Jun 12, 2011 11:48 am

You don't eat fruit, or drink milk then?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Apollonius » Jun 27, 2011 5:37 am

rainbow wrote:You don't eat fruit, or drink milk then?

Correct. My health got way better when I cut them out too, but there are more variables than that.

The video on the previous page by Lustig is quite good.

I do full-on Paleo. No milk, no grains/bread, and fuck no sugar. My blood tests went from horrible to awesome, lots of problems went away.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Rumraket » Jun 27, 2011 7:19 am

Then what do you actually eat and isn't it horribly expensive... and boring?
Luscious and blue cloaked in clouds the Earth spins it's way through a universe of dimensions and splendour utterly beyond comprehension.
Rumraket

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby rainbow » Jun 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Apollonius wrote:

Correct. My health got way better when I cut them out too, but there are more variables than that.

I do full-on Paleo. No milk, no grains/bread, and fuck no sugar. My blood tests went from horrible to awesome, lots of problems went away.

You need sugars to survive, and you're getting them from whatever diet you're on.
More so - without sugars your DNA would fall apart.
Then where would you be?
:?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Alan C » Jun 30, 2011 11:33 am

Rumraket wrote:Then what do you actually eat and isn't it horribly expensive... and boring?

:this:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Apollonius » Jul 10, 2011 1:56 am

rainbow wrote:
Apollonius wrote:

You need sugars to survive, and you're getting them from whatever diet you're on.
More so - without sugars your DNA would fall apart.
Then where would you be?
:?

Your body makes whatever glucose you need from protein and fat.

I found this link at random-

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/ar ... oods22.php

What you DON'T want to do is just consume sugar and simple carbs. It just raises insulin, and increases weigh and slows metabolism.

Since I made the changes, my fasting insulin went from 17 to less than 7. I lost 1/3 of my body weight in about a year, and health went from horrible to excellent. I get very detailed blood tests and things look optimum. No cholesterol problems, no blood pressure problems. HDL is high and LDL is low. C-reactive protein is .4.

My Paleo based diet is not boring at all. It really works.
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby TMB » Jul 10, 2011 7:52 am

Fructose is a natural sugar in that it occurs in many fruits, and is also linked with fructans, and polyols, all as being things that are difficult to absorb and can create/cause issues with irritable bowel syndrome. The reaction to fructose is suprisingly common and can have a major impact upon health. Glucose is not such an issue with absorption and when glucose occurs in equal or greater concentrations in various fruits, it allows the fructose to be better absorbed and not end up in the lower bowel where it might cause problems. These issues have nothing to do with obesity or diabetes, however regardless of whether you react to frcutose or not, consuming large amounts of sugar is not a good thing. The Paleo diet does include fruit and plenty of fruit does contain a higher proportion of fructose than glucose (apples and pears for example), so it appears advisable to watch your fruit intake and which fruits you eat.
TMB

Print view this post

#52  Postby Apollonius » Jul 10, 2011 10:22 am

TMB wrote:Fructose is a natural sugar in that it occurs in many fruits, and is also linked with fructans, and polyols, all as being things that are difficult to absorb and can create/cause issues with irritable bowel syndrome. The reaction to fructose is suprisingly common and can have a major impact upon health. Glucose is not such an issue with absorption and when glucose occurs in equal or greater concentrations in various fruits, it allows the fructose to be better absorbed and not end up in the lower bowel where it might cause problems. These issues have nothing to do with obesity or diabetes, however regardless of whether you react to frcutose or not, consuming large amounts of sugar is not a good thing. The Paleo diet does include fruit and plenty of fruit does contain a higher proportion of fructose than glucose (apples and pears for example), so it appears advisable to watch your fruit intake and which fruits you eat.

No one owns "Paleo," so no one can claim that it has something or doesn't. The version I do has no fruit. Some people do a small amount.

Paleo is just a generic term for a way of eating that seeks to make use of what we know about how humans thrived for like 7,000 generations before agriculture, FDAs, bullshit food pyramids, and Fruit Loops.
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby TMB » Jul 10, 2011 10:42 am

Apollonius wrote:
TMB wrote:Fructose is a natural sugar in that it occurs in many fruits, and is also linked with fructans, and polyols, all as being things that are difficult to absorb and can create/cause issues with irritable bowel syndrome. The reaction to fructose is suprisingly common and can have a major impact upon health. Glucose is not such an issue with absorption and when glucose occurs in equal or greater concentrations in various fruits, it allows the fructose to be better absorbed and not end up in the lower bowel where it might cause problems. These issues have nothing to do with obesity or diabetes, however regardless of whether you react to frcutose or not, consuming large amounts of sugar is not a good thing. The Paleo diet does include fruit and plenty of fruit does contain a higher proportion of fructose than glucose (apples and pears for example), so it appears advisable to watch your fruit intake and which fruits you eat.

No one owns "Paleo," so no one can claim that it has something or doesn't. The version I do has no fruit. Some people do a small amount.

Paleo is just a generic term for a way of eating that seeks to make use of what we know about how humans thrived for like 7,000 generations before agriculture, FDAs, bullshit food pyramids, and Fruit Loops.

The basis of the Paleo diet as suggested by Voegtelin in the 70's does include fruits as its thought that stone age man did eat the fruits that had evolved at that time, however they were probably not very abundant meaning even fruit sugar was in limited supply so our bodies do not find the over abundance we have in modern times easy to deal with. I am aware that the basis of the diet has been modified into different versions. Having said that I have no practical experience of the diet whatever.

Why do you have no fruit in your diet, do you have fructose malabsorption or DFI? Have you had a good experince with the diet?
TMB

Print view this post

#54  Postby rainbow » Jul 10, 2011 11:26 am

Actually ancient man was a scavenger, and a true Paleo diet should include rotten meat.

BTW, where do we get the idea that this diet was healthy. Their life expectancy was about 30 years, if they were lucky, and didn't get eaten by sabre-toothed tigers.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#55  Postby susu.exp » Jul 10, 2011 4:02 pm

That´s life expectancy at birth, a number that is strongly affected by infant mortality rates. The thing that had (and has in places) the greatest impact on life expectancy figures is natal care, followed closely by vaccinations.
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby rainbow » Jul 11, 2011 7:19 am

Sorry, I didn't take into account vaccinations during paleolithic times.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Apollonius » Jul 11, 2011 11:02 pm

TMB wrote:
Apollonius wrote:

The basis of the Paleo diet as suggested by Voegtelin in the 70's does include fruits as its thought that stone age man did eat the fruits that had evolved at that time, however they were probably not very abundant meaning even fruit sugar was in limited supply so our bodies do not find the over abundance we have in modern times easy to deal with. I am aware that the basis of the diet has been modified into different versions. Having said that I have no practical experience of the diet whatever.

Why do you have no fruit in your diet, do you have fructose malabsorption or DFI? Have you had a good experince with the diet?

I just don't need it and it puts weight on. My experience with Paleo is that it has worked much better than anything else, except it's about the same as low carb, just healthier.

I eliminate all sugars because what I want to do is lower my fasting insulin number. It's gone from over 17 to less than 7.
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby Apollonius » Jul 11, 2011 11:09 pm

rainbow wrote:Actually ancient man was a scavenger, and a true Paleo diet should include rotten meat.

BTW, where do we get the idea that this diet was healthy. Their life expectancy was about 30 years, if they were lucky, and didn't get eaten by sabre-toothed tigers.

I would want to know why one would think that it is NOT healthy? People evolved eating this way. The way people eat now is much different and there hasn't been much time to adapt to it.

The lower life expectancy thing is a non issue. People back then had more predators to worry about, no anti-biotics, and less protection from the elements. Today medicine is concerned with a rapid rise in type 2 diabetes and obesity, which is directly tied to the low fat craze of the 1980s and consumption of sugars and grains.
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 31, 2011 4:16 am

rainbow wrote:

It is amazing how misinformation can remain in the public consciousness, even when it has been disproven.

You said it on page 2, yet it needs to be said again already!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby rainbow » Jul 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Apollonius wrote:
rainbow wrote:Actually ancient man was a scavenger, and a true Paleo diet should include rotten meat.

I would want to know why one would think that it is NOT healthy? People evolved eating this way. The way people eat now is much different and there hasn't been much time to adapt to it.

The lower life expectancy thing is a non issue. People back then had more predators to worry about, no anti-biotics, and less protection from the elements. Today medicine is concerned with a rapid rise in type 2 diabetes and obesity, which is directly tied to the low fat craze of the 1980s and consumption of sugars and grains.

People evolved as scavengers, and a true paleo diet would be better obtained by rummaging through dustbins.
Feel free to adapt to this diet, but I can't see it becoming popular.
Obesity is a result of the overavailabilty of food in the Developed World. Humans are actually adapted quite well to live off almost any food source, and these diseases of overeating or due to eating too much too often, not specifically the types of food eaten.
That said I'd recommend that people eat more fresh fruit. Full of lovely sugars.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Chemistry