Need help with adding a biochemical plant extract

Pachymic acid, adding it to Wikipedia

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Need help with adding a biochemical plant extract

#1  Postby chango369 » Jul 28, 2015 11:04 am

I'm in the process of adding a botanical extract, pachymic acid, to Wikipedia as a stub. This is the first time I've ever done anything this involved with Wikipedia. I found most of what I needed to supply data for the chembox template, but I could use a another pair of eyes to proofread the umpteen parameters (e.g. InChi, Smiles, molecular mass, etc.) that may be specified.

I also had to find a way to generate a 2d image of pachymic as it derives from the canonical smiles character string. Doubtless to say, I'm in over my head! :) , but I insist on being dauntless and indefatigable. :P

I haven't created the article yet, as I still have to figure out how to create as it a draft. If I don't do it that way, and slam dunk the article, even as a stub, it'll probably be nominated for speedy deletion.

It's frustrating that there are a subset of Wikipedia editors whose sole existence is to subtract information from Wikipedia, rather than help further the progress of someone's attempting to increase the knowledge base. :nono:

Some links involved in this project.

Please consider helping me if you are willing and able. :)

Pubchem link to pachymic acid: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compou ... ection=Top
Chemspider link: http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Stru ... a3ec825629
Lookchem: http://www.lookchem.com/Pachymic-acid/

This is what I came up with for a 2D image. I made it with JSME: a free molecule editor in JavaScript. I probably should cite the article, even here, since its authors request that.

Bruno Bienfait and Peter Ertl (2013). "JSME: a free molecule editor in JavaScript". Journal of Chemoinformatics 5 (24). doi:10.1186/1758-2946-5-24.

http://doi.org/10.1186/1758-2946-5-24

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, this is just one of many articles in study of this particular plant extract. I'm interested in sharing this information, although I am more or less forced to sneak it in past the ethnopharmcologically averse folks that are in abundance on Wikipedia.

Pachymic acid inhibits cell growth and modulates arachidonic acid metabolism in nonsmall cell lung cancer A549 cells.

ETA: Pachymic acid is extracted from a mushroom, Wolfiporia extensa. Once I can get the Pachymic acid article whipped into shape, I'll tie in a Wikilink / cite from the W extensa article.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Need help with adding a biochemical plant extract

#2  Postby chango369 » Jul 30, 2015 10:19 am

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. The stub article, should anyone actually read this post and have sufficient interest, is here.

I still wouldn't mind a proofread of what I specified in the chembox. If you spot any errors, or can suggest any additions, let me know.

Shortly after I added the article, another Wikipedia editor happened by and added to it! I was thrilled!

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#3  Postby chango369 » Aug 06, 2015 1:07 pm

Holy shit! The Wiki article on pachymic acid I authored has already made onto the first page of Google search! That feels really good. :angel:

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Aug 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Not for me it didn't. It's about 8 articles down. There's a reason this might be the case.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby chango369 » Aug 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Animavore wrote:Not for me it didn't. It's about 8 articles down. There's a reason this might be the case.

Hey Animavore, thanks for replying. :) This is one of the sleepiest parts of the forum. :sleep:

You're right, but I did say "made it onto the first page", meaning the first page of hits returned. However, you've sealed the fact that it's the 8th article firmly in place in my mind. Now I can track it it. Do you think it'll move up as Google gives it more 'weight'?

I know it's just a stub, but I think this fungus extract has great potential for use against cancer.

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Aug 06, 2015 2:01 pm

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you wrote first article for some reason.
I think it gets moved up based on links to the article. Though that could be all changing soon as it looks like Google might start grading articles based on truth. So once the article is factual and referenced it could move up.

I'm not sure if Google have put this into action yet, but here's an article on it. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... not-links/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chango369 » Aug 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Animavore wrote:Sorry, my mistake. I thought you wrote first article for some reason.
I think it gets moved up based on links to the article. Though that could be all changing soon as it looks like Google might start grading articles based on truth. So once the article is factual and referenced it could move up.

I'm not sure if Google have put this into action yet, but here's an article on it. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... not-links/

Thanks Ani! I was stumbling around in Google Analytics trying to figure out what activity (if any), I could extrapolate based on Google's data. What I'm interested in is if anyone's been using "pachymic acid" as part of a keyword search, other than myself of course. I know I've been in the relevant subset of Google in years past, but it was rather labyrinthine IIRC.

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Aug 06, 2015 2:06 pm

I used it earlier when checking to see where it came on my Google search. Other than that I never heard of pachymic acid before. Those it does sound like an extract from an elephant.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby chango369 » Aug 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Animavore wrote:I used it earlier when checking to see where it came on my Google search. Other than that I never heard of pachymic acid before. Those it does sound like an extract from an elephant.

Do a Google search using "pachymic acid pubmed" and you'll see why I thought it important to author a Wiki article on it.

The problem is that there exists within the WIkipedia community, a bastion of MEDRS cops, whose purpose is to play "Whack-a-mole" with those editors who like to add in unsubstantiated or insufficiently substantiated medical claims, particular when the compound is derived from a plant source.

It's a worthy function, no doubt, but sometimes I think it's done to a fault. Primary sources, in vitro/in vivo, etc. animal only studies and no clinical trials, provide all sorts of opportunities for information suppression IMO. Even if one nuances the text, there they are, reverting the edits. My cynical side tempts me to think that Big Pharma has a paid staff swatting down these edits, so I'm taking a back door route.

ETA: missing noun
Last edited by chango369 on Aug 06, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#10  Postby chango369 » Aug 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Ahhhh. Found what I was looking for. It's contained in Google trends. "Pachymic acid" supplied as a keyword search hasn't generated enough interest to register on the radar, but Wolfiporia extensa has.
Attachments
w extensa aug 2015 snapshot google trends.png
w extensa aug 2015 snapshot google trends.png (86.82 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

Return to Chemistry