Of Acids, Titrations and fickle normality.

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Of Acids, Titrations and fickle normality.

#21  Postby natselrox » Apr 22, 2010 10:26 am

0.04 and 36%...makes sense.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Oeditor » Apr 30, 2010 10:58 pm

A bit late to ask now, but I'm puzzled. I had to make some dil HCl from conc and being about 13 years away from a lab had to settle for gravimetry using the kitchen scales. At about 36%, conc HCl is about 10 molar. Diluting it 1/10 by weight makes it about 1 molar, by 1/100 makes it M/10. Maximum error of about 20% if you assume it has a specific gravity (well, we are talking normality, not molarity here) of 1.0. So how did you end up being out by a factor of 2?
Supplementary questions:
1)Are you just being old fashioned using normality, or is it still conventional in your parts?
2)How come you are diluting conc HCl to get N/10? Has your lab no molar HCl? I had to because the local lab suppliers wouldn't sell me any molar HCl in case I was making bombs (honest) but the pharmacy where I get my regular medicines was happy to sell me half a litre of conc.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby GenesForLife » May 01, 2010 6:41 am

It is extremely conventional in our very outmoded way of doing science, , but I agree, the volume/volume method of dilution is remarkably streamlined.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby rainbow » May 03, 2010 6:21 am

Oeditor wrote:1)Are you just being old fashioned using normality, or is it still conventional in your parts?

There is nothing 'old fashioned' about Normality. We use it often. It is a convenient measure.
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#25  Postby GenesForLife » May 03, 2010 11:19 am

While it is convenient, Rainbow, in my field, in actual research (that isn't at the undergrad level) we use liquid-liquid dilutions (stock diluted to working solutions) which is ideal in the case of a liquid such as HCl
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Chemistry