Warm snow?

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Warm snow?

#1  Postby Sityl » Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm

If you could make a lower atmospheric pressure, could you have warm snow? Would it require negative pressure, and if so, how much would be required? Would it kill us, or could we conceivably roll around in warm snow?
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Warm snow?

#2  Postby campermon » Jan 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm not sure how atmospheric pressure affects snow formation, but it does affect boiling T i.e. less pressure leads to a lower boiling T.

I would hazard a guess that lower pressure would lead to a lower freezing point. For no particular reason though!
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby JoeB » Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

That link contains some interesting graphs. Basically there is some sort of 'warm' ice of 20 degrees C etc. Pity it requires pressures in the order of ten thousand atmospheres :lol:
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Jan 03, 2013 3:16 pm

JoeB wrote:http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

That link contains some interesting graphs. Basically there is some sort of 'warm' ice of 20 degrees C etc. Pity it requires pressures in the order of ten thousand atmospheres :lol:

:lol:

If I'm interpreting the graph correctly, lower pressure leads to a lower melting point and the ice sublimates straight to a vapour.

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Jan 03, 2013 3:18 pm

All I know is I was told not to eat it.

That is interesting, though. :popcorn:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby campermon » Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Animavore wrote:All I know is I was told not to eat it.

That is interesting, though. :popcorn:

:lol:

I just wish we'd get some bloody decent snow here in the UK. The last time I saw proper snow here in the midlands was when I was a kid in the 80's. :nono:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Same here. And because I live by the sea it's even harder to get decent snow while the midlands are covered sometimes.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Sityl » Jan 03, 2013 3:36 pm

We've got tons of it here in NY. I want to be able to roll around in it without it being cold! :( (or yellow)
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Sityl wrote:We've got tons of it here in NY. I want to be able to roll around in it without it being cold! :( (or yellow)

Bugger!!

As for warm snow - I'm sure that some compound could be created to form a snow at higher temperatures. Not sure if it's be non-toxic though!
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby HughMcB » Jan 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Snowing all day here, if my Tapatalk app was logging into RatSkep like it should I'd upload a picture.

As for the best way to get warm snow, well I would imagine not using H2O would be a start.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby scott1328 » Jan 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Anyone ever read Cat's Cradle? Ice IX is the answer
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm

At higher pressures you can have amorphous room temperature ice. Unfortunately (or I should say luckily) it is at pressures far above the pressures found at the bottom of the oceans and has a different crystalline structure than normal ice.

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/19/7685.abstract

Then there is Kurt Vonnegut's Ice Nine which unlike the real Ice IX is stable at room temperature and causes any water it touches to form into the same structure. Yikes! :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice-nine
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Chemistry