Why does hot water sometimes freeze faster than cold water?

£1000 prize

Composition and transformation of substance.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why does hot water sometimes freeze faster than cold water?

#21  Postby twistor59 » Jun 26, 2012 6:35 pm

virphen wrote:I am showing my ignorance I know, but I always thought it was to do with the mathematics of rates of change. I was surprised to see it's a mystery, which makes me think that's just another piece of bullshit which pervades life that I've accepted uncritically.

Shame on me.

You're maybe thinking of Newton's law of cooling - a hot body has a faster rate of cooling than a cooler one. The thing here, though is that it's got a longer way to go down the cooling curve to get to freezing point than the cooler one. Curli's John Baez link seems pretty informative.

Unusual to see JB talking about something so down to earth. He normally deals in "out there" mathematics...
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby campermon » Jun 26, 2012 9:20 pm

It works because of quantum something or other...

:coffee:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Pulsar » Jun 26, 2012 9:58 pm

A very interesting review article: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0512262
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Microfarad » Jun 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Pulsar wrote:A very interesting review article: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0512262

And we have a winner! :mrgreen:
What will you do with the money?
Warning: the content of the post above may content inaccuracies, nonsense or insults to human intelligence. Read at your own risk.
Microfarad

Male

Italy (it)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Matthew Shute » Jun 27, 2012 4:07 pm

It's obvious, innit? It must be Divine Intervention. Either that or the aliens.

:hide:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Microfarad » Jun 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:It's obvious, innit? It must be Divine Intervention. Either that or the aliens.

:hide:

Talk abuot it in a church's council.
Warning: the content of the post above may content inaccuracies, nonsense or insults to human intelligence. Read at your own risk.
Microfarad

Male

Italy (it)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Matthew Shute » Jun 27, 2012 4:21 pm

I'd rather drown myself in the font, Microfarad.

Hey, I'll bet pl0bs has the answer. "Hot water has a greater conscious propensity for mood-swings than cold water, and is thus more efficient at 'chilling' quickly".

:D
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Microfarad » Jun 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:I'd rather drown myself in the font, Microfarad.

Hey, I'll bet pl0bs has the answer. "Hot water has a greater conscious propensity for mood-swings than cold water, and is thus more efficient at 'chilling' quickly".

:D

:lol: :lol:
Microfarad

Male

Italy (it)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Tim Danaher » Jun 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Interesting, but how did the ancient Greeks freeze water? Sand evaporators can keep things cool, but freezing?
Tim Danaher

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#30  Postby chairman bill » Jun 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Tim Danaher wrote:Interesting, but how did the ancient Greeks freeze water? Sand evaporators can keep things cool, but freezing?

High on the mountains, in winter - lots of snow & ice. Bring it down, seal it in deep caves?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Sityl » Jun 27, 2012 6:07 pm

mattwilson wrote:I've heard of the effect but never experimented to check it out. I'm going to throw my uneducated mind into the fray and postulate that in heated water the atoms are more loosely spaced (less bonded hydrogen/oxygen atoms) and as in order to freeze, water assumes a uniform structure (hence why it expands when frozen) that the atoms may be more "free" to assume this structure under rapid cooling than the more closer bound atoms in cool water.

This reason seems most likely to me.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Scientists offer £1,000 prize for answer to this question

#32  Postby the_5th_ape » Jun 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Why does hot water freeze faster than cold?
Ancient problem has eluded scientists and philosophers for centuries.
£1,000 reward offered to member of public who can provide 'convincing explanation' of phenonemon.
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby Delvo » Jun 28, 2012 4:21 am

When they claim that this difference exists between "hot" water and "cold water, exactly how hot is their "hot" and how cold is their "cold"? How many degrees of difference can there be between the two and still get this effect? Are they not really talking about what normal people would categorize as "cool", "less cold", or even "lukewarm", rather than actually "hot"?
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Tim Danaher » Jun 28, 2012 9:18 am

chairman bill wrote:
Tim Danaher wrote:Interesting, but how did the ancient Greeks freeze water? Sand evaporators can keep things cool, but freezing?

High on the mountains, in winter - lots of snow & ice. Bring it down, seal it in deep caves?

Sure Bill, but that's already frozen water... seems like Aristotle was talking about the process of freezing...
Tim Danaher

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#35  Postby gustavfenk » Jun 30, 2012 9:37 pm

My hypothesis is that to freeze water what you are doing is "curing" the water of its liquidness. It is heat that causes the water to be liquid. We all know that like cures like, so the heat in the hot water acts as a medicine to cure the water of its liquid state. As the hot water gets cooler, the heat is becoming more diluted and therefore acts as an increasingly powerful medicine. This is why the hot water freezes faster than cool water.

But doesn't the hot water become exactly the same as the cool water at some point in the freezing process? Well, yes it does but the hot water has a "memory" of its previous hotness and therefore is different to the water that started off cool.

I am confident that sucussing the hot water would further increase its rate of freezing. I will do some experiments to try this out but I don't think that it is the kind of thing that can be tested using "science".
gustavfenk

Name: Gustav Fenk

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby stijndeloose » Jun 30, 2012 9:46 pm

gustavfenk wrote:I will do some experiments to try this out but I don't think that it is the kind of thing that can be tested using "science".

Possibly because your 'hypothesis' really isn't one at all...

ETA: welcome to the forum, tho! :cheers:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#37  Postby devogue » Jun 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Christ knows - something to do with momentum?
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Weaver » Jul 01, 2012 12:39 am

gustavfenk wrote:My hypothesis is that to freeze water what you are doing is "curing" the water of its liquidness. It is heat that causes the water to be liquid. We all know that like cures like, so the heat in the hot water acts as a medicine to cure the water of its liquid state. As the hot water gets cooler, the heat is becoming more diluted and therefore acts as an increasingly powerful medicine. This is why the hot water freezes faster than cool water.

But doesn't the hot water become exactly the same as the cool water at some point in the freezing process? Well, yes it does but the hot water has a "memory" of its previous hotness and therefore is different to the water that started off cool.

I am confident that sucussing the hot water would further increase its rate of freezing. I will do some experiments to try this out but I don't think that it is the kind of thing that can be tested using "science".

:rofl: :rofl: Well done.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Rome Existed » Jul 01, 2012 1:55 am

Well, if it's hot enough most of it will evaporate leaving the little bit of water left to cool more rapidly.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Fenrir » Jul 01, 2012 2:02 am

Why would The Royal Society of Chemistry offer a prize for a problem in physics?

Why is it that The Royal Society of Chemistry website says not a word about such a prize?

Why would The Royal Society of Chemistry offer a prize for a question for which answers are already known?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Chemistry