Ashes must be Stored in a Vatican Approved Place

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Ashes must be Stored in a Vatican Approved Place

#1  Postby Alan B » Oct 25, 2016 2:41 pm

The Guardian
Vatican bans Catholics from keeping ashes of loved ones at home

Cremation guidelines state remains cannot be scattered or kept at home but rather stored in a sacred, church-approved place

Catholics are forbidden from keeping the ashes of cremated loved ones at home, scattering them, dividing them between family members or turning them into mementoes, the Vatican has ruled.

Ashes must be stored in a sacred place, such as a cemetery, according to instructions disclosed at a press conference in Rome on Tuesday.
Cardinal Gerhard Müller, the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, reiterated that burial of the dead was preferable to cremation.

“We come from the earth and we shall return to the earth,” he said. “The church continues to incessantly recommend that the bodies of the dead be buried either in cemeteries or in other sacred ground.”
Ashes must be kept “in a holy place, that is a cemetery or a church or in a place that has been specifically dedicated to this purpose. The conservation of ashes in the home is not allowed,” he said.

“Furthermore, in order to avoid any form of pantheistic or naturalistic or nihilistic misunderstanding, the dispersion of ashes in the air, on the ground, on water or in some other way as well as the conversion of cremated ashes into commemorative objects is not allowed.”

I bet there will be a hefty annual/monthly fee to, er, occupy that holy place. And when that place is full up, what then?
If there is a fee, what will happen if there are no longer any family members to cough-up. And if the family becomes atheist will the church discard the ashes?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ashes must be Stored in a Vatican Approved Place

#2  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Alan B wrote:

“We come from the earth and we shall return to the earth,” he said.

What is it about cremation that interferes with this? And how do they deal with the fact that hallowed ground is just as transitory as every other human invention? What happens when everyone's forgotten where the cemetery is and built shopping malls and hooker hotels on top of it?
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Good job I am not a Catholic anymore as mine are being scattered in my garden. Even so ashes are the property
of the next of kin. It should be up to them to decide what to do with them unless otherwise specified. The only
reason the bias against cremation exists is because Jesus was buried. However that was a couple of millennia
ago and things are rather different now. There are two billion Catholics in the world. If they are all going to
be buried that is going to take a lot of space. Cremation is therefore more practical regardless of tradition
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm

I told my kids to snort mine.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Oct 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Just thought - if there is a fee, will it be tax-deductible?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Alan B wrote:The Guardian
Vatican bans Catholics from keeping ashes of loved ones at home

Cremation guidelines state remains cannot be scattered or kept at home but rather stored in a sacred, church-approved place
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Catholics are forbidden from keeping the ashes of cremated loved ones at home, scattering them, dividing them between family members or turning them into mementoes, the Vatican has ruled.

Ashes must be stored in a sacred place, such as a cemetery, according to instructions disclosed at a press conference in Rome on Tuesday.
Cardinal Gerhard Müller, the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, reiterated that burial of the dead was preferable to cremation.

“We come from the earth and we shall return to the earth,” he said. “The church continues to incessantly recommend that the bodies of the dead be buried either in cemeteries or in other sacred ground.”
Ashes must be kept “in a holy place, that is a cemetery or a church or in a place that has been specifically dedicated to this purpose. The conservation of ashes in the home is not allowed,” he said.

“Furthermore, in order to avoid any form of pantheistic or naturalistic or nihilistic misunderstanding, the dispersion of ashes in the air, on the ground, on water or in some other way as well as the conversion of cremated ashes into commemorative objects is not allowed.”

I bet there will be a hefty annual/monthly fee to, er, occupy that holy place. And when that place is full up, what then?
If there is a fee, what will happen if there are no longer any family members to cough-up. And if the family becomes atheist will the church discard the ashes?

You're all over it, man. Follow the money.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Blackadder » Oct 26, 2016 5:01 am

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a fee. We are talking about the most successful organised crime syndicate in human history. If they could find a way to extort money from you even after you're dead, they would. If there's one thing the Roman Catholic Church has always known, it's how to make a buck.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fenrir » Oct 26, 2016 5:49 am

They only lifted the ban on cremation in 1963. They are just trying to keep their grubby fingers on people's lives.

One grudging backward step at a time.

Have the catholics ever been progressive? About anything?
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#9  Postby NineBerry » Oct 26, 2016 8:01 am

In fact, many European countries have for a long time banned keeping ashes at home. In Germany, for example, you can only keep it at cemeteries or scatter the ashes only at approved licensed places.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Evolving » Oct 26, 2016 9:34 am

I'm a catholic, or was (a catholic atheist, then), and I never even knew the church had permitted cremation for over fifty years. They seem to have kept that very quiet in my neck of the woods. Or I wasn't paying attention, I suppose.

They do still say, apparently, that “cremation does not hold the same value” as interment.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Alan B » Oct 26, 2016 10:14 am

Is internment free?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mazille » Oct 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Around here, no. I haven't ever seen the bills, though, so I don't know who gets the money. I think most cemeteries are municipal ground and so the cities get the money. I guess you pay for the church ceremony too.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Oct 26, 2016 1:12 pm

I know where they can stick my ashes.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mazille » Oct 26, 2016 1:14 pm

:awesome:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Oct 26, 2016 1:22 pm

IN A bid to clear up any confusion about their latest ruling on the cremated remains of loved ones, the Vatican confirmed it is still alright to scatter paedophile priests wherever they want, but not ashes.

Yesterday the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church urged followers not to scatter the ashes of the dead after cremation and instead to store them in places approved by the Church.

cont. http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/1 ... nt=Article
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby laklak » Oct 26, 2016 2:56 pm

NineBerry wrote:In fact, many European countries have for a long time banned keeping ashes at home. In Germany, for example, you can only keep it at cemeteries or scatter the ashes only at approved licensed places.

Any idea why?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby monkeyboy » Oct 26, 2016 3:22 pm

The reason they want people buried is for the zombie uprising when the Jeebus comes back, like the one that happened in Jerusalem when the bloody Romans nailed him up before. It's all there in the book. If everyone's cremated and sat on mantlepieces etc, that zombie plan is going tits up at the off.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#18  Postby chairman bill » Oct 26, 2016 3:27 pm

Is it OK to be eaten by a crocodile & turned into crocodile shit? What is the Catholic perspective on this? I was going to donate my body to Bristol zoo.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby monkeyboy » Oct 26, 2016 3:51 pm

What happens if a person donates several organs to people of different faiths who dispose of their bodies in alternative methods?

If the Breaking Bad guys dissolve you in acid, do you get banned from heaven?

What if you died in space like they did in Armaggedon? (hmmmm, Liv Tyler moment) They might not be able to get the bits of your body back?

The bloody catliks always provoke more questions than they answer!
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby NineBerry » Oct 26, 2016 4:46 pm

laklak wrote:
NineBerry wrote:In fact, many European countries have for a long time banned keeping ashes at home. In Germany, for example, you can only keep it at cemeteries or scatter the ashes only at approved licensed places.

Any idea why?

Obvious: Influence of the Christian churches.

Another reason given is that if one person does not bury a dead person's remains at a publicly accessible place, other persons would not be able to pay respect to the deceased.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity