Bible Contradictions - NT

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Bible Contradictions - NT

#1  Postby The Doctor » Mar 04, 2010 10:15 pm

What are the worst contradictions of the New Testament?
"We are omniscient, but confused." - Leibniz

My blog: Monads Have No Windows
The Doctor
RS Donator

Name: John Smith
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Bible Contradictions - NT

#2  Postby rplatell » Mar 05, 2010 4:52 am

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.

and ...

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.

vs ...

Matthew 10:34
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

and ...

Luke 12:51
Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 05, 2010 4:55 am

:coffee:
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby br0k3nglass » Mar 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Off the top of my head:

1) The two gospels that include birth narratives for Jesus tell incompatible stories. In Luke, Mary & Joseph live in Nazareth and have to travel to Bethlehem for the census. Fourty days after Jesus is born, they travel to Jerusalem for the purification ritual and Pidyon haben, and then go back home to Nazareth. In Matthew, they do not live in Nazareth, but in Bethlehem. After the birth of Jesus, they must have stayed in Bethlehem for more than fourty days, because Herod sends out troops to massacre all males under two years of age (Herod was likely assuming that Jesus had been born within the last two years at the time of the order). Joseph escapes the massacre with his family, fleeing to Egypt. They stay in Egypt until Herod the Great dies (around 4 BC), at which point they decide to reside in Nazareth - not because they originally lived there, but because they are afraid of Herod the Great's successor.

2) Jesus is crucified on different days in the gospels. In Matthew, Mark, and Luke, he is crucified on the day of passover (at around 9am if I remember correctly), after having eaten the passover meal. In John, he eats a regular, non-passover supper with his disciples, is arrested, tried, and crucified on the day of preparation for the passover (i.e., the day before passover). In fact, the author of John has Jesus being crucified at the same time lambs were ritually sacrificed at the temple in preparation for passover.
Isn't life a hundred times too short to live it - in a state of boredom?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
br0k3nglass
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Durro » Mar 06, 2010 4:32 am

You can find some neatly arranged biblical contradictions, courtesy of the Skeptics' Annotated Bible.

Some of my NT favourites include the completely different geneologies of David to Jesus in the books of Mark and Luke. And the whole love thy neighbour and forgiveness thing when Jesus said and did some fairly ugly things.
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby TimONeill » Mar 06, 2010 4:37 am

Durro wrote:
Some of my NT favourites include the completely different geneologies of David to Jesus in the books of Mark and Luke.

I think you mean Matthew and Luke. There's no genealogy in Mark.
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto
"I am human: nothing that is human is alien to me."

Publius Terentius Afer

History for Atheists - How Not to Get History ... Wrong
TimONeill

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Durro » Mar 06, 2010 4:49 am

TimONeill wrote:
Durro wrote:
Some of my NT favourites include the completely different geneologies of David to Jesus in the books of Mark and Luke.

I think you mean Matthew and Luke. There's no genealogy in Mark.

Yep, Matthew and Luke. Sorry.
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Durro » Mar 06, 2010 4:52 am

Matthew 1:6-16

David
Solomon
Roboam
Abia
Asa
Josaphat
Joram
Ozias
Joatham
Achaz
Ezekias
Manasses
Amon
Josias
Jechonias
Salathiel
Zorobabel
Abiud
Eliakim
Azor
Sadoc
Achim
Eliud
Eleazar
Matthan
Jacob
Joseph
Jesus

Luke 3:21-31

David
Nathan
Mattatha
Menan
Melea
Eliakim
Jonan
Joseph
Juda
Simeon
Levi
Matthat
Jorim
Eliezer
Jose
Er
Elmodam
Cosam
Addi
Melchi
Neri
Salathiel
Zorobabel
Rhesa
Joanna
Juda
Joseph
Semei
Mattathias
Maath
Nagge
Esli
Naum
Amos
Mattathias
Joseph
Janna
Melchi
Levi
Matthat
Heli
Joseph
Jesus

:ask:
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 06, 2010 4:59 am

And that disregards the sillyness of tracing a line back through non-blood relatives of Jesus.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby dylan » Mar 06, 2010 5:02 am

Best list I've ever seen for contradictions:
http://74.125.155.132/custom?q=cache:_fuZaq6NKSgJ:www.reasonproject.org/bibleContra_big.pdf+contradictions&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=google-coop-np
It would be nice if someone could take the list out and put them into a forum readable list. (I can't now) There are 439.
Rational Skepticism: the mind's bullcrap filter
dylan

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby br0k3nglass » Mar 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Interesting thing about Matthew's geneology is that the author attempts to fit everything into three groups of fourteen, his point being that every fourteenth generation experiences some radically important event (rise of the Davidic line, Babylonian exile, arrival of Christ). He fudges things quite a bit in order to make this work, but somehow totally fails to realize that his last group of fourteen only includes thirteen names!
Isn't life a hundred times too short to live it - in a state of boredom?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
br0k3nglass
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Sityl » Mar 09, 2010 10:22 pm

So why do they trace Joseph's lineage if Mary is a virgin?

Shouldn't the bible be tracing god's lineage?
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Byron » Mar 10, 2010 7:28 am

Matthew 27:5

And he [Judas Iscariot] cast down the pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:18

Now this man [our boy Judas, again] purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the middle, and all his bowels gushed out.

The contortions literalists put themselves through to reconcile the hanging and the disemboweling are something to behold.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby krobbyzw » Mar 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi rplatell

I would say this is not a contradiction, from the point of view that Jesus does give peace to individuals, but has not given it to the earth [the entire world's population].

An example would be Stephen who was reportedly peaceful as he was being stoned to death.
krobbyzw

Zimbabwe (zw)
Print view this post

#15  Postby rplatell » Mar 11, 2010 7:51 am

krobbyzw wrote:Hi rplatell

I would say this is not a contradiction, from the point of view that Jesus does give peace to individuals, but has not given it to the earth [the entire world's population].

What's that supposed to mean? Either he brings peace or he doesn't. Sounds like apologetic wibble to me.

An example would be Stephen who was reportedly peaceful as he was being stoned to death.

If he really was at peace whilst playing target for a bunch of stone-thowing religious fanatics then good for him. But I would expect that would be in a somewhat small minority there.
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 11, 2010 8:06 am

krobbyzw wrote:Hi rplatell

So all Christians have always been peaceful? No. So there have been at least two peaceful Christians? probably, but that is your argument? And you bring up one story in the bible as evidence, come on, you gotta work harder than that.

Do you not imagine that there might have been some peaceful people w/o your guy?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Xeno » Mar 11, 2010 9:33 am

I agree with Crocodile Ghandi and num1fcubn, that it is ludicrous that they trace the male line to one of the several million people did not (according to the bible) impregnate Mary.

Some apologetics sites claim one of the lines is Joseph's and one Mary's, but this does not account either for the fact that one line has far more ancestors than the other, nor for the fact that they both specifically point to Joseph.
sinisterly annoying theists
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity